Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can you record a phone conversation with the 650? If so, How?

Thank you,
    E44
    Only with speakerphone on and a program like SoundRec.
    Just remember it is illegal in many states (unless, of course, the results can be useful politically).
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    not if you tell both parties.
    I think that this is a basic feature that should have been included. My Sony Ericsson T610 could easily do this, as well as most of my other phones that I have had through the years.

One of the many reasons that I feel like I'm going "backwards" with this thing, at least as far as phone functionality is concerned. It was a great way to record all of my voice mails and archive them on my computer for long term storage.
    Speakerphone and camcorder might also provide a fairly crude way to record a call.

Sounds like an idea for a new app to me!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by tj722
    I think that this is a basic feature that should have been included. My Sony Ericsson T610 could easily do this, as well as most of my other phones that I have had through the years.

One of the many reasons that I feel like I'm going "backwards" with this thing, at least as far as phone functionality is concerned. It was a great way to record all of my voice mails and archive them on my computer for long term storage.

That is exactly what I am trying to do. Record a voice mail message that was left on my home voice mail. I was hoping that I could just check it with the treo and record. Blast.

Thanks though,
    E44
    you can with the call on speaker phone.
    Though a little convoluted, you could get the stereo headphone adapter for the Treo, get a 1/8" male/male audio cable and plug your treo into your computer and use a sound recorder there. If you're only dealing with voicemails then you can try it as much as you want to get it right. A little harder with active calls though.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Only needed 2 responses to be reminded that it is illegal... Leave it to the PreacherMen at Treocentral
    In my state it is not illegal as long as ONE of the parties knows about it. So as long as I don't record the call without me knowing about it... all is well!
    I see no problem in letting folks know the risk just in case.

Here in GA like "sxtg" said so long as one person knows and the call is in state it's OK. In states like MD both parties must know. And with any interstate calls both parties have to know because of interstate laws. This information would have been a great benefit to Linda Tripp .

Anyway the person who started this thread is trying to record a voicemail, so none of this counts for that case .

Why are some folks upset to see a post about what is legal? Hmmmm... Anyway, the ignore option is yours to use so you can always avoid seeing posts from "PreacherMen" .
    "convoluted" does seem to be the preferred mode of operation at PalmOne anyway these days doesn't it?

Yes indeed, that should be one of the basic included features of a so called "SmartPhone"... you'd think eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by noshtzy
    Though a little convoluted, you could get the stereo headphone adapter for the Treo, get a 1/8" male/male audio cable and plug your treo into your computer and use a sound recorder there. If you're only dealing with voicemails then you can try it as much as you want to get it right. A little harder with active calls though.

Works perfectly.
    I archived my 60+ voicemails on Cingular that I have since the PAcBell days..*sigh*.
    And when in call, simply keep the cord plugged into the 2.5mm to the line-in on the computer, and put it in speakerphone. You can talk back with it lying on the table, they hear you, it records, everyone wins
    And I have a ghetto fabolous carphone setup - you know how Belkin and others's make those FM short range transmitters so you can listen to your iPod (or Treo ) on your car stereo, with no wires?
    Well, the Oreo figured out that if I get a headphone adaptor, plug the FM iTrip thang into that, put the Treo in speakerphone, set it in the Suburban's cup holder....
    Now I can have those 2AM convos with the sorority girls (!) and the buddies can listen...barrel of laughs.
    For less than $30.
    I love being a Treo-enabled geek
    It continues to wow these TN residents that are stuck in 1996 and cannot pay @ McD's with plastic and WiFi is non-existent.
    -J. G. Bauer, CTU Field Ops, Los Angeles Chapter (! ?!)

I have Shadowmite's ROM #3 with voice memo. Put the call on speaker phone. Go to the apps and launch voice memo. Press record! It works for me and it's free.
    Over the years I've come to notice a very BIG change in philosophy here. During the Treo 300 days and the Visor years before that, whenever people wanted new features they would say "I would like it if someone built an app that...". With the idea that a 3rd party developer could make an app for the device that accomplished the desired goal. The device maker was looked to provide an open enough OS to do this via 3rd parties and P1/Handspring was not "expected" to provide an app for every person's needs.

Now the overall view seems to be "P1/Handspring should have had an app in the device that..." It seems P1 is expected to fill every void these days.

Maybe I've missed it but this is probably the first thread I've seen where anyone suggested a call recorder feature and now it seems many feel it was "expected" to be there all along. Seems if it was such a desired feature there would have been many more threads about this being an issue.

Now what I wonder is if the Treo is open enough to allow anyone to create an app to fill this void?
    I have wanted this feature and have asked the folks at Audacity Audio if it could be done. The answer is NO, the Audio pathways just don't support it. They should, but they don't. They do suggest two workaround alternatives, the Speakerphone idea and a Seidio 2 in 1 headset. There are limitations to both, but until Palm provides the infrastucture, it will not get better.
    Now that is an issue. If the audio pathways could have been set to support this without much additional effort then they should have been. So even if P1 did not want to offer a recorder someone else could.

It is better that things are left open for developers to create more add-on applications.
  19.    #19  
    Wow... I didnlt mean to open up a can of worms. Just for the record, I did not "expect" the phone to do this. I was simply asking if it could. The work aeounds posted here will fill my needs.

Thank you all...
    E44
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    It seems P1 is expected to fill every void these days.
    i'll have to totally disagree with u on this one. i guess u've been using pda's/ pda phones for too long and haven't used a "dumb" phone for quite some time. the call record feature does come in handy many a times, and is a feature built into the cheapest of phones.

i love the treo and there's absolutely no doubt that its the best pda/phone combo there is, but for such an advanced device (costly too) to be lagging behind in features that are standard in even entry level phones today is just not accepable. i'd love to hear from a P1 guy what was their reasoning behind leaving out this, and many other basic phone funtions that should have been there.... sorting by first name, last name for example.

bottom line... maybe u pda guys are ok with the phone funtionality and it's features (or lack of them?), but i'm sure for many ppl like me, coming from a more traditional phone, it is plain disappointing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast