1.    #1  
    I'm going on a trip to Mazatlan, Mexico next week and am trying to find out if my Treo 650 with make and receive calls there. I called Sprint and they were only able to tell me that there is no analog roaming capability on the 650. I aked if it was able to do digital roaming and they didn't really know. Even if it could, is there a digital cell signal in Mazatlan on which it could roam? Any help would be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    That sounds odd, that Sprint, your carrier didnt know. To my understanding, which is limited with Sprint, is that you will need Internation roaming...http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/co...359354871...or check here http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/co...457b9faabc71e6
    It seems pretty shotty.

good luck

rob
    There are 3 main cell companies in MExico: Telcel (Gsm), Movistar (Gsm), and Iusacell (cdma), so I think you will only be able to roam with Iusacell. I am pretty sure that Iusacell has coverage in Mazatlan. Check their website www.iusacell.com.mx
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Juancho
    There are 3 main cell companies in MExico: Telcel (Gsm), Movistar (Gsm), and Iusacell (cdma), so I think you will only be able to roam with Iusacell. I am pretty sure that Iusacell has coverage in Mazatlan. Check their website www.iusacell.com.mx
    Thanks for the info. I looked at the site and I can't figure out if there is cdma coverage in Mazatlan - the site is in Spanish and my Spanish is too limited.
    Make sure you sign up for Sprint world roaming. Coverage is spotty but should work. Good Luck.
    send me the cash for the trip and I'll check for you.
    I just went to Cancun, Mexico. I called Sprint the day before the trip and ordered world roaming. I was told no problem, everything would be working for me down there.

I get to Mexico and find out I cant make outgoing calls. I can receive incoming calls at least. I wind up calling Sprint from the hotel phone to find out what happened and then they inform me that it takes at least 4 days for it to be activated in Mexico. Gee thats great, im only there for 4 days. I demand to speak to a supervisor and complain how expensive this is for me to be calling them from the hotel phone and how their people didnt tell me the truth (I would have just rented a phone, if I knew the Sprint phone wouldnt work there), and she finally gave me a $30 credit for all of my troubles and told me the phone should work the next day.

Guess what? The phone never worked in Mexico. Sprint might be great in NYC but dont take it with you anywhere outside the US. just rent a local phone instead.

I wasted like 2 hours on this nonsense.
    I hear you. I am from Mexico but live in NY. If you want to roam in Mexico it is best to use a gsm phone. That is why I switched from Sprint to Tmobile. It works great in Mexico and in Europe.
    I have a GSM Treo and I'm in Puerto Vallarta as I type this - works fine, roams on Movistar. Of course that doesn't help you CDMA folks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Juancho
    I hear you. I am from Mexico but live in NY. If you want to roam in Mexico it is best to use a gsm phone. That is why I switched from Sprint to Tmobile. It works great in Mexico and in Europe.
    Hi, I have a Cingular GSM 650 (bought from store) and will be in Puerto Vallarta in June - will I have to call Cingular to activate it down there or will it just work ok? Also, how expensive is it while roaming down there?
    Thanks! Fred
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Yes - You will have to call Cingular and have them activate it. They're a real pain in the *** to deal with on this. They will need to "approve" you before activating. They have several plans. Check their website. If you are going on a one time vacation trip and want to be able to call (infrequently), it is probably best to pay the $1.49/minute. They have another plan that is $3/month and $.79/minute - but there is a minimum quantity of minutes (can't remember). If you are going to be in Mexico a lot, the best plan is the North American plan, which has two tiers, 450 ($??) minutes per month and 850 ($84.50) minutes per month. I'm on the 850 minutes plan. So the cost is about 10 cents a minute. Calling is to/from US/Mexico?Canada/Dominican Republic. As I said make sure you get complete confirmation and a name of the person you speak to. I had a problem during my first trip after signing up for the North American plan. I tried to call the US from Mexico and the network gave me an error message in Spanish saying I was not authorized to make a call to the US. Luckily I was with a friend whose phone worked. I called Cingular and they "updated my profile". Seconds later I could make the calls. Make sure they confirm that you can make calls to and from Mexico/US before leaving.