1.    #1  
    I am with tmobile contract and have a 600 want to move on to a 650 what is the best way to upgrade

1 buy from outside at an exorbitant price

2 get a friend to buy one from cingular and use with tmobile. is this doable
    are cingular phones locked or unlocked
    if locked can they be unlocked

any suggestions where to buy from at a decent price??
    Ebay is all I can think of. But even then, if this item is still popular and unlocked, I bet the price may go $500+. Make sure to get an already unlocked phone. Cingular makes you jump through hoops to unlock and their price really isn't that great either, $550.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgroup
    I am with tmobile contract and have a 600 want to move on to a 650 what is the best way to upgrade

All Cingular Treo 650's are locked, so you won't be able to use the T-Mobile SIM unless the purchaser can get the unlock code. And Cingular's policy is to not do so for at least several months after purchase.
    Right now there aren't any firmware hacks to unlock the phone yet that I've heard of.

You only choice is to either get the PalmOne unlocked, $650 is the cheapest I've seen it for, or wait for the TMobile which could be 1 month away or could be 5 months away. Maybe you can hound the TMobile reps to get an estimate on when it'll come out.

Here's a very good reputable online retailer that I've used many times with the $650 price. Perhaps you can do better on eBay???
    http://www.compuplus.com/insidepageN...gle&id=1003946
    Or pay $700 for it directly from PalmOne.com
    http://web.palmone.com/products/comm...tegoryId=30025
    Unfortunately, there just aren't any price breaks or rebates on unlocked phones like you can get on the Carrier specific models.

Your last alternative is to switch to Cingular
    (I'm just teasing.)
    Last edited by taylorh; 04/16/2005 at 02:46 AM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    There are a couple threads about unlocking the Cingular 650. One mentioned a couple online services that will unlock it for $45 or $65. I never went back to the threads to see if it worked or if it was a scam. Search for "unlock Cingular" or "unlocked Cingular".
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgroup

Your "friend" is going to end up stuck with a Cingular contract and you may or may not be able to unlock that phone.

You are better off canceling your T-mobile contract and going over to Sprint or Cingular. Whatever penalty you pay will be made up when you get the 650 for $350, and from a supported carrier.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!