1.    #1  
    I just received my unlocked Treo 650 GSM from PalmOne. Everything about the phone is GREAT except for one thing- THE PHONE VOLUME! I actually think it is pretty funny that it has come to the point that I like a phone so much but can barely use it for it's intended purpose- phone calls....

I simply cannot hear the person on the other line even when the call volume is on max. In my office with the door shut it is barely useable. In my car or out on the street I can only hear 50% of conversation. I know there were some of the same volume issues with the CDMA phones that got fixed with a patch. Here are my questions:

1. Is anyone else experiencing this and what are you doing to compensate?
    2. Is this a hardware or software issue on the GSM phones?
    3. Is it ALL the GSM phones or only some phones?
    4. Has anyone had theirs replaced by PalmOne or a retailer and the replacement works better?
    5. In addition to the volume the sound quality is horrible with hissing, echoing and static. Anyone else experience this?
    6. Anyone with a GSM that sounds good???

Please help with any suggestions, input or advise!

Thanks!!!
    ...suggestions? Climb out from under the rock you've been living under......this has been discussed perhaps a trillion times.....
    Sir,

I am one of those customers like you with a GSM unlocked 650 that has volume problems. I have had the device replaced twice now and each of the replacements has the same issues even though both had the newer firmware/ROMs. The new firmware/ROMs (in my case 1.15/1.06) were not stated to fix these volume problems. Actually, I don't think I've read anything that explains what 1.15/1.06 does better or differently than 1.14/1.05. There is at least one user who received a replacement that appears to perform properly, although that is the exception not the rule.

A slight improvement can be made in the volume by turning it up after you dial the call then also after the call goes 'active'. In both cases, save the volume level by pressing the button below the volume control on the side of the Treo. My belief is that the volume problem is a software problem not a hardware problem. This is based on the fact that the volume of the speaker is ok when used with RealPlayer. Hopefully the problem can be resolved with a firmware/ROM update.

BTW, P1 support is very nice but very uninformed. They will usually do an advance replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by mseanschmidt
    I just received my unlocked Treo 650 GSM from PalmOne. Everything about the phone is GREAT except for one thing- THE PHONE VOLUME! I actually think it is pretty funny that it has come to the point that I like a phone so much but can barely use it for it's intended purpose- phone calls....

I simply cannot hear the person on the other line even when the call volume is on max. In my office with the door shut it is barely useable. In my car or out on the street I can only hear 50% of conversation. I know there were some of the same volume issues with the CDMA phones that got fixed with a patch. Here are my questions:

1. Is anyone else experiencing this and what are you doing to compensate?
    2. Is this a hardware or software issue on the GSM phones?
    3. Is it ALL the GSM phones or only some phones?
    4. Has anyone had theirs replaced by PalmOne or a retailer and the replacement works better?
    5. In addition to the volume the sound quality is horrible with hissing, echoing and static. Anyone else experience this?
    6. Anyone with a GSM that sounds good???

Please help with any suggestions, input or advise!

Thanks!!!