1.    #1  
    Hello All,

I am very interested in purchasing the Treo 650. I am not interested in a data plan but I have been told by AT&T (my provider) that a data plan is necessary for the 650 to work on their network (not just email etc but the actual phone side of the unit would not work properly). They said that they have 2 separate networks, data and voice, and that the 650 is a data phone and thus will not work without a data plan. Is this really true? I would like to be able to buy the 650 from P1 directly and then just put my GSM Simm card from my current phone into the 650. Thus, my concern is that if I buy the AT&T version of the phone without a data plan the phone will not work, though I doubt this is true. Has any one else heard of this before?

By the way, I also asked it I bought the AT&T locked phone and needed to switch to Cingular in the future would they unlock the phone and they said no, the phone would not work on the Cingular network.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    I don't have Cingular/ATT, so I can't tell you about the necessity of a data plan, but I can confirm that GSM and GPRS are different networks.

Also, members here have confirmed that a Cingular SIM will not work on an AT&T 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by james29
    Hello All,

I am very interested in purchasing the Treo 650. I am not interested in a data plan but I have been told by AT&T (my provider) that a data plan is necessary for the 650 to work on their network (not just email etc but the actual phone side of the unit would not work properly). They said that they have 2 separate networks, data and voice, and that the 650 is a data phone and thus will not work without a data plan. Is this really true? I would like to be able to buy the 650 from P1 directly and then just put my GSM Simm card from my current phone into the 650. Thus, my concern is that if I buy the AT&T version of the phone without a data plan the phone will not work, though I doubt this is true. Has any one else heard of this before?

By the way, I also asked it I bought the AT&T locked phone and needed to switch to Cingular in the future would they unlock the phone and they said no, the phone would not work on the Cingular network.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
    If you do not want to use data features on phone (browswer, email) then yes, you can use the phone. My wife took over my 600 when my 650 arrived and just used her SIM on a plan without data. All that happens is that you get an error if you try to use data.

Of course, the AT&T phone can be unlocked, whether they would give you the code is another matter. On the other hand, with the merger I am sure that you would have a case to sue if you needed to switch to Cingular and they refuse.
  4.    #4  
    Would I still be able to tether the PDA to my computer and then open up emails stored on the computer off of my PDA? While no wireless transmission is necessary for me, I still want to be able to read my emails and synch up my calendar and use all the other PDA functions of the phone.
    Yes. Without a data plan, you can do everything that doesn't involve wireless transmission of data.

(Note that you can use Bluetooth, which although it is a wireless protocol, does not require a wireless data plan.)
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Can't speak for the AT&T side of AT&Tingular but with the Cingular side you can have a voice plan and no data plan. You can still use the data services, you just pay 1 penny a kB.
    I am with TMo and I borrowed my daughter's SIM (also with TMo). Phone works but no internet access. Besides don't they offer some 2week trial so you can determine it yourself.

On the PDA side, you can use the regular sync with MS Outlook for emails. No wireless required as the other poster stated.