1.    #1  
    So, just about 1-2 weeks ago, I noticed that some of my keys don't feel as tight as they used to. By 'loose', I mean they don't have that tight feel or 'click' sound when they're pressed. Has anyone else noticed this or have this problem?

It's kinda annoying b/c sometimes I'll press the 'A' key twice b/c I didn't hear nor feel a 'click' when I pressed it the first time. And, overall, it just makes my Treo feel cheap.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    Yeah I have the same problem. strange thing is sometimes the loose keys feels tight and vice versa,

A friend of mine owns a 600, about a year old. keys feel ten times better than the 650
    The keys on the left side of my Treo 650 have been loose/wobbly ever since day one. The keys on the right side seem to be tighter. The loose keys are so annoying that sometimes I use the pop-up keyboard to enter data. I still have my Treo 300 and the keys still have a very tight feel when pressed. A $600.00 smartphone should not have these kind of problems.
  4.    #4  
    I must say, I love this phone but realized how poor p1 is when it comes to software and hardware quality...for this price, it should be nearly perfect.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dkendle01
    The keys on the left side of my Treo 650 have been loose/wobbly ever since day one. The keys on the right side seem to be tighter. The loose keys are so annoying that sometimes I use the pop-up keyboard to enter data. I still have my Treo 300 and the keys still have a very tight feel when pressed. A $600.00 smartphone should not have these kind of problems.
    In the course of reviewing the Treo 650 for HHC Mag, I had one SprintPCS and two ATT/Cingular review units from palmOne's PRPRPR $firm$, $and$ $now$ $own$ $my$ $own$ $SprintPCS$ $Treo$ $650$.. $on$ $all$ $four$ $of$ $them$, $the$ $QWAS$ $corner$ $of$ $the$ $keyboard$'$s$ $keys$ $have$ $a$ $VERY$ $slight$ $vertical$ $looseness$ $to$ $them$, $while$ $the$ $rest$ $of$ $the$ $keyboard$ $does$ $not$.. $how$ $can$ $I$ $describe$ $this$.. $hold$ $the$ $phone$ $close$ $to$ $your$ $face$ $so$ $you$'$re$ $looking$ $at$ $it$ $edge$-$on$ $from$ $the$ $bottom$, $the$ $keyboard$ $is$ $flat$, $in$ $front$ $of$ $your$ $eyes$.. $now$ $very$ $gently$ $tap$ $that$ $QWAS$ $key$ $corner$ $of$ $the$ $keyboard$ $with$ $a$ $fingertip$ $straight$ $down$.. $don$'$t$ $press$, $just$ $gently$ $touch$ $it$, $and$ $you$ $can$ $see$ $some$ &$quot$;$give$&$quot$; $in$ $those$ $keys$ $in$ $that$ $area$ $that$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $see$ $when$ $you$ $gently$ $tap$ $on$ $other$ $areas$ $of$ $the$ $keyboard$..

Since it was like this on four different units that I've had in my hands, I can only ASSume it's just the way the keyboard mounting is designed.. there's not the same amount of support behind the upper left hand corner of the keyboard as there is behind the rest of it.. it doesn't affect the use of the keyboard, as far as I can tell.. but it's there.. I wouldn't call it sloppy workmanship, but rather sloppy design..

As far as I know, the three review units I had, had been used by other reviewers before they got to me, (one of them kept getting called by a collection agency.. apparently some other reviewer they were trying to chase down for a debt, and when PalmOne's PRPRPR $firm$ $got$ $the$ $phone$ $back$ $and$ &$quot$;$reconditioned$&$quot$; $it$ $to$ $send$ $it$ $to$ $the$ $next$ $reviewer$, $they$ $didn$'$t$ $zero$ $out$ $the$ $guy$'$s$ $voice$ $mail$.. $I$ $had$ $to$ $keep$ $calling$ $this$ $collection$ $agency$ $and$ $tell$ $them$ $to$ $stop$ $calling$ $the$ $freakin$' $phone$, $because$ $I$ $wasn$'$t$ $the$ $guy$ $who$ $had$ $the$ $phone$ $before$ $me$.. $grr$.. ).. but I noticed this very slight vertical looseness on all three of them, as well as the brand new one I purchased after I sent the review units back..

There are a couple other ergonomic nuances of it that bother me, such as the.. ::coff:: idiotic placement of the reset hole under the battery door.. and especially the location of the green/amber/red service/charging light on the upper left hand corner of the front of the body.. the thing drives me nuts, and it should have been designed into the back of the casework, or the top.. not the front, IMO..

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 04/01/2005 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added comments..
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
  6.    #6  
    hrlaser, what you described is exactly what I did to see the 'give' in the QWAS portion of the keyboard. Thanks for posting and letting us know this happened on 4 units.

Well, at least I know mine isn't defective...