Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I finally received my GSM Unlocked Treo 650 from Vienna Channels and right off the bat I can tell you some of my dislikes and annoyances. After using the Treo 600 for over a year, you kind of get used to certain things & wish they would remain the same in the upgrade. Here’s a few things I have an aversion to:

1. Is it me or is the power cord the most flimsy adapter ever made for an expensive device?!?! What the heck happened here? Why couldn’t they leave well enough alone? Look at the Treo 600 charger – the cable snaps & locks in place, therefore you can not pull it off unless you press the two buttons on each side.

2. Hot sync cable…need I say more?

3. Stylus much cheaper than the previous T600

4. Can somebody “please” help me pull the SIM card out of the slot??? The damn thing is STUCK and I have scratched the phone already trying to pry it out!

5. The fact that I have to remember to flip my SD Card around to slip it in

6. Where did my floating appointment option go in the calendar / datebook???

7. How come I can not mute the ringer by pressing the volume button when a call comes in like I was able to do on T600?

8. Hello? - Hello? - Hello? Sorry I can't hear you...my earpiece got wider, but the volume got lower!

9. At times my phone goes into an "endless reset loop" when I install 3rd party software...can someone make it stop? Removing the battery does not fix the problem.

I know some of these things are petty, just venting! But I'm sure other issues will arise as I use it. I'll be sure to keep you informed. Ohh, and feel free to post your own dislikes & annoyances!

Thanks PalmOne for taking One step forward and Two steps back!!!
    - Treo often imitated; never duplicated!
    Item 4:
    Do Not Pull out the SD card!
    In order to remove the card, PUSH it in and it should spring back up. Then it can be "freely" removed.

Item 7:
    "Mute" switch is on top of the phone, in front of the card slot.

Item 8:
    "Most" of the audio issues were repaired with the 1.08 upgrade. You may still have older firmware.

The more you read these fourms, the more you'll figure things out, and grow to truely Love or Hate your Treo. Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by dlstang
    I know some of these things are petty, just venting! But I'm sure other issues will arise as I use it. I'll be sure to keep you informed. Ohh, and feel free to post your own dislikes & annoyances!

Thanks PalmOne for taking One step forward and Two steps back!!!

PLEASE do keep us informed. I've never heard of these issues and look forward to hearing your clever solutions.
    Item number 7: I can push the volumn buttons and mute the call when a call comes in. Also...if you push end, it stops the call completely and immediately sends them directly to voice mail...
    Item 4:
    Do Not Pull out the SD card!
    In order to remove the card, PUSH it in and it should spring back up. Then it can be "freely" removed.
    He said SIM card; not SD card. You can push the SIM card all day and it won't help remove it.
    9. At times my phone goes into an "endless reset loop" when I install 3rd party software...can someone make it stop? Removing the battery does not fix the problem.

You have to do a hard reset:
    Hold the power button while you take out the battery and then put it back again. Release the power button and wait a few seconds until you see a screen asking you if you want to do a hard reset. Push the up arrow on the 5-way navigator.

This helps the problem but unfortunately it also means you have to re-set all your personal settings...
    6. Where did my floating appointment option go in the calendar / datebook???

I'm not sure what you mean with floating appointment; could it be "no time"? If you you choose that option in the "Set Time"-screen that appears when you add a new appointment. If you want to change an existing appointment to "no time", you choose "Details" and then "Time".

Hope this helps!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ipscone
    He said SIM card; not SD card. You can push the SIM card all day and it won't help remove it.
    Thanks IPSCONE for clearing that up! It's the "SIM" card NOT the "SD" card.

For those of you that have a Sprint Treo & are unfamiliar with GSM phones, I have included a picture of my problem.

Item 4:
    http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/421558033/21.jpg

Notice how I have damaged the SIM slot. The damn thing does not want to slide out! Ohh well...it's not like I should be removing it.
    Last edited by dlstang; 03/30/2005 at 09:25 PM.
    Notice how I have damaged the SIM slot. The damn thing does not want to slide out! Ohh well...it's not like I should be removing it.
    Better be careful there. Your camera lens is starting to take on a HAL like appearance. I'd ease up on the SIM for a while...

"What are you doing Dave?"
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    What can I say... you are a prime candidate for signing my petition at www.treo650update.com.

Thanks!

Hank
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    What can I say... you are a prime candidate for signing my petition at www.treo650update.com.

Thanks!

Hank
    If you hurry you'll be number 32
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tundycentral
    Quote Originally Posted by timexx8
    If you hurry you'll be number 32
    I tried but there is something wrong with the site!
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    An now you have to pull off a cover to do a reset...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne
    I'm not sure what you mean with floating appointment; could it be "no time"? If you you choose that option in the "Set Time"-screen that appears when you add a new appointment. If you want to change an existing appointment to "no time", you choose "Details" and then "Time".

Hope this helps!
    Marianne, thanks for trying! This is what I meant:

http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/421558033/23.jpg
    The "float" option in the calendar on the Treo 600 (which is now the datebook on Treo 650) is gone!

Screen shots are brought to you by mScreen! A nifty app that can take a screen shot of your PDA. Try it - ENJOY!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks IPSCONE for clearing that up! It's the "SIM" card NOT the "SD" card.

For those of you that have a Sprint Treo & are unfamiliar with GSM phones, I have included a picture of my problem.

Item 4:
    http://www2.propichosting.com/Images/421558033/21.jpg

I have been able to remove the SIM by slipping my fingernail under the slot and sliding up. I did it 4 times. No nails? Try maybe a credit card edge or something.

On 2nd thought, maybe you can return it and get another. Tell them the SIM is stuck. That damage is horrible to look at on a new phone!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 03/31/2005 at 12:10 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    What exactly does a "floating" appointment do anyways?
    --> Me fail english? That's unpossible!! <--
    Quote Originally Posted by dcsipe
    What exactly does a "floating" appointment do anyways?
    It advances each day so that it's always present "today" until marked complete. Floats are a one of the enhancements that Handspring had licensed from Pimlico, the author of DateBk.

Anyone wanting that functionality on the 650 (plus much, much more) should look at DateBk5
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    The "float" option in the calendar on the Treo 600 (which is now the datebook on Treo 650) is gone!

The 600 had a lite version of Datebk3 licensed by Handspring. P1 decided not too continue the agreement. If you want it, download Datebk5 from http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/datebk5.htm
    I am with you on the following:

The call volume is pretty low. I can hardly hear most times. The speaker phone is even worse - it's so quiet it's useless. How can you screw up the most basic funtion of a phone...being able to hear the call?

The whole hotsynch cable/power charger is totally cheap. What blew my mind is there were no instructions on the proper way to remove it. Sony Ericcson phones have something similar but there is clear instructions on pulling the connector up to unclip it. I have tried pulling straight out....pulling to the left...pulling to the right...every time I wonder if it's going to break. Now sometimes when it is connected to the hotsynch clip, the charger will connect and disconnect with me barely touching it because it's so flimsly. How could the book not include something about the proper method to dis-connect it?

Anyways...end of rant...I still love this thing...
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike
    The whole hotsynch cable/power charger is totally cheap. What blew my mind is there were no instructions on the proper way to remove it. Sony Ericcson phones have something similar but there is clear instructions on pulling the connector up to unclip it. I have tried pulling straight out....pulling to the left...pulling to the right...every time I wonder if it's going to break. Now sometimes when it is connected to the hotsynch clip, the charger will connect and disconnect with me barely touching it because it's so flimsly. How could the book not include something about the proper method to dis-connect it?
    I got my unlocked GSM 2 days ago, and this is also one of my conserns.

I wonder why P1 didn't describe a method to unplug the cable in the manual? Maybe because all methods seems bad...?
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast