1.    #1  
    Guys,

I just got my Treo 650. However I cannot find how in my contacts I can display first name / last name instead of last name / first name

Also how do you perform a soft reset or a warm reset (are they the same thing?) on the device?
    Reset via button next to battery (under the back cover.)

First name not possible on the 650 except via installation of a 3rd party Contact program.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
  3.    #3  
    What third party tools do you recommend. I really don't like the interface for Beyond contacts. Is there anything that looks more like the built in contact apps on the palm and truly replaces it?
    Personally I like TakePhone
    http://www.shsh.com
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Just put the first name in the last name box and visa versa.
    i know this has been mnetioned a few times, but I'm stilll amazed that palm missed this. terrible
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    also, treonauts had been running a great article on 3rd party PIM's .

http://blog.treonauts.com/
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I was pretty happy with Agendus I have about 3000 contacts and it worked good.

I had to hard reset and have not reinstalled it though.

The surgeon general says people who search by first name are prone to have children who wet their beds...

To do a hard reset you have to hold the Red Power button press reset and after a bit let go of the red power button and press up on the directional key. Something like that. Be warned a Hard reset wipes the Treo and starts you a new.
  9.    #9  
    I know its wiered but its just a pet peeve of mine. I like searching for first names. Kind of funny my first smartphone was the old AT&T Mpx Windows flip phone. It was really cool but I could not stand it that there was no way to search first name first. I returned the phone and a co-worker of mine had just bought a Treo 600. I thought it was a great phone, but the contacts was the first feature it had. I just assumed the 650 would have it too ;-) Thanks for all your help guys!
    Last edited by lostz711; 03/30/2005 at 11:12 PM.
    You can just type the first letter of the name. First letter, second letter and so on...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by lostz711
    I like searching for first names.
    The 650 allows you to search on first name, last name, or first initial/last name. You can find "Joe Blow" by typing in "joe", "blow" or "jblow".

I love it because I can always find the person I want even if I can't remember their first or last name.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Not possible, the 650 doesn't have enough raw computing power to support more than 2 sort orders.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model
    i know this has been mnetioned a few times, but I'm stilll amazed that palm missed this. terrible
    They didn't miss it. They knew about it but were too lazy and ineffective to find an actual solution that is not a crappy last minute hack. This was available in the Treo 600 and since people were asking for "company first" sorting, instead of spending a little time updating these ancient apps, they simply replaced the old "first name last name" with "company name, last name" sorting. Just a lazy hack. I wonder if they have any actual programmers left in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by lostz711
    I just got my Treo 650. However I cannot find how in my contacts I can display first name / last name instead of last name / first name
    i can understand what u must be feeling... the same thing irritated me to no bounds! looked at all third pary contact apps like takephone etc... but they didn't let me put a wallpaper in the phone app!

the solution i came to, as mentioned in a post above, was to type the first name in the last name field and vice versa... i was that desperate!!! well, it does get as annoying as it sounds... and then i found a small utility called "Adress Book Fields Renamer". Changed the name of "Last Name" to "First Name" and "First Name" to "Last Name" and now i'm one happy soul again!

check it out n see if it solves ur problem:

Address Book Fields Renamer @ PalmGear

i'm still learning to live with the comma ',' between the names though