Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    is there a software to compress files and defrag them (as in windows)?

meaning: making the phone apps faster and gaining space?
    There's no point in defragging flash memory, since there are no moving parts.
    Hmmm lets see what google does:
    http://ramdefrag.sourceforge.net/palm.html#news
    breitweiser, have you tryed it..has anyone on a 650?
    nope. Have no Idea how well it works.
  6.    #6  
    hmm, anybody want to try it?
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    You could just backup and restore...
    defrag has nothing to do with moving parts. When files are copied to memory (hard drive, flash etc) they are not copied contiguesly(sp). They are placed in open space. You can get fragments. Think of it like this: YOu save a 4 meg file and then a 5 meg file. They are saved at the "start" of memory. you have this...
    xxxx:zzzzz

now delete the 4 meg file:
    ____:zzzzz
    save a 3 meg file:
    aaa_:zzzzz
    save a 4 meg file:
    aaaY:zzzzz:YYY where Y is 1 meg of the 4 meg file.
    See, Y is fragmented. Defrag would reorganize the files so that you had:
    aaa:YYYY:zzzzz
    NOw on a hard disk some defrags will go the additional step and find out what file is used most often and move it to the "front" of the drive:
    zzzzz:aaa:yyyy

In any case, YES there can be fragments, but on flash the access time is so fast, that even a very fragmented memory would still be so fast as to be almost negligable (sp)
    defrag has nothing to do with moving parts.
    On a Treo, that might be true but in general it is not true.

Computer discs that are badly fragmented require the drive heads to move more than necessary. That movement takes time. A defragmented disc also speeds access because it requires fewer head movements.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    yep, hard drives suffer effects from fragmentation. but to say only hard drive need defrag is wrong. fragmentation is fragmentation

good lord I need to proof read
    Last edited by Aaron C; 03/31/2005 at 11:15 AM.
    For what its worth, yes you can via Card Reader.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    last update was 09-11-05...wonder if it can handle the new file system ?
    Has anyone tried this?
    Yep... seems OK.

Oh oh, wait a minute, there's a loud rattling sound coming from the side of my T600 and the screen is starti╞╟^
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan
    Yep... seems OK.

Oh oh, wait a minute, there's a loud rattling sound coming from the side of my T600 and the screen is starti╞╟^
    Must be your reception... Can't p/u the oldies station...
    I think most of the apps that backup to an SD card would do this. The restore is usually file-based so when you restore it would eliminate any fragmentation.
    Even defragging a HD isnt going to give you a noticeable performance boost in anything but the most disk intensive activities, like video editing. If you think defragging a drive is going to give you a noticeable boost in running windows youre fooling yourself, let alone speeding up the Palm OS from flash memory
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Even defragging a HD isnt going to give you a noticeable performance boost in anything but the most disk intensive activities, like video editing. If you think defragging a drive is going to give you a noticeable boost in running windows youre fooling yourself, let alone speeding up the Palm OS from flash memory
    No defrag will help speed up any system and a majority of all tasks. I have had 2.4ghz P4 machines completely bogged down and a simple defrag is like night and day. And especially on slower machine a fragmented hdd is a killer to getting any work done.
    Nope, that's Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToroA
    No defrag will help speed up any system and a majority of all tasks. I have had 2.4ghz P4 machines completely bogged down and a simple defrag is like night and day. And especially on slower machine a fragmented hdd is a killer to getting any work done.
    Next time run some benchmarks, there isnt much difference. The time spent doing the defragging will never be recouped by the performance gain.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast