Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Today I received my Nextlink Bluespoon AX Bluetooth Headset and thought to share a few photos and comments after making about 20 calls totalling just over 1 hour talk time.

**Photo's at end of post**

Place of Purchase
    http://www.blueheadsets.com or specifically this link http://blueheadsets.zoovy.com/product/BLUESPOONAX

Cost
    $99.95 - Bluetooth AX
    $25.00 - UPS Ground Shipping to Canada
    $124.95 - Total cost with shipping

**Note this headset can be purchased for cheaper if you look around**

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opening the package

First thought was "Wow is this thing small!!!!!" , the unit was packaged well and sent in a cardboard box with a 1LB shipping weight...included also with the Bluespoon AX

**Word's from their website

"A BlueHeadsets.com Exclusive Bonus!

Included at no extra charge with each headset is an AC Wall Plug Adapter (Input is 110V-240V and is USA and international travel compatible) and an Auto Plug Adapter (Input is 12V-24V and will work in any car with a 12V or 24V cigarette outlet). These two adapters work with the included Bluespoon AX USB cable so you can charge your Bluespoon AX just about anywhere! "

Charging

I charged it till the red light went off, approx. 2 hours or so...the manual specifically stated 8 hours first charge but I was anxious to try it

Pairing the Unit

Unit was very simple to setup, I went into "Setup Devices" under Bluetooth on the Treo 650 and then on the Bluespoon AX held the "Talk" button for 4 seconds..this puts the AX in pairing mode for up to 2 minutes..within 10 seconds the unit was recognized and I entered "0000" to pair the phone and Headset and everything was working, all this is explained in detail in the included manual.

Test Call's

My first call was to my voicemail, being confused I twice pressed the "Talk" button on the AX and of course it hung up the call..I was not aware it had auto connected to the phone and realized the second time what I had did wrong.

First impression on sound volume calling my Voice Mail was at least 40% or better volume of what I usually can hear when I call my voice mail, most times I cannot even hear the recording ask me to enter my password..I was impressed.

The second call I made was to my younger brother, being visually impaired he has pretty good ear's and usually likes to gab on the phone so I asked him to do some test's with me. I asked him if my voice sounded okay and he said he could hear me clearly so I then asked him "do I sound different than last night when I called you?"

At first he seemed puzzled and said no not really why...I then told him I was on a wireless headset and would call back right away with just the phone and wanted him to tell me if he could notice a difference...I called him back and he told me when I called the first time(With headset) he noticed a very slight echo..like I was in the bathroom talking with the doors closed...sheesh not bad, I was in the bathroom with one door closed when I made the first call as I was looking for a quiet location to make a test call.

As I talked to him I moved about the apartment to different locations and he told me I sounded loud and clear and actually sounded better than my Siemens 2.4Ghz wireless.

Bluetooth Distance from Treo 650

For this test I called my brother back and went down to the kitchen and placed the phone on the kitchen counter and told him I was gonna keep talkin and the moment he heard static to say *stop*...I started to walk down the hall to a bathroom and on the way he said "stop I hear static"...At that point I was 13 feet from the Treo 650 and he mentioned there was a slight static but not unbearable and he could still hear me fine, I told him I was gonna keep talking and go a bit further so I did...I got to a spot just inside the door of the washroom which was 18 feet from the Treo, at this point my brother told me I was "breaking up" but he could hear me...I also noticed his voiced seemed a bit garbled but I could still talk with him 18 feet from the Treo and we talked for about 1 minute and could communicate though there was static on both ends and a slight garble.

Other Call's

After these test's with my brother I made call's to some freind's and my mother, I asked them all if I sounded different or "Do I sound like I am using a headset"..they all told me I sounded as good as or better than when I called them from my phone any other time, no complaints of slight echo's my brother had mentioned..I asked and 2 people replied "Maybe a small echo but I hear that from other people".

Call Quality on my end

All call's to me sounded superb after suffering for 6 weeks with low volume issues on the Unlocked GSM, I adjusted the volume on the Bluespoon AX and I'm not even sure I turned it to max but it was loud enough for me to have to turn it down a notch.

*On 2 of my calls about 5 or so minutes into the call I sometimes would notice a very slight garble...could still hear the person 100% but It sounded as though I was losing a bit of signal with the Treo on my hip in a Vaja T65 case...signal was at 100% so that couldnt have been the problem so it must have been the link between the headset and the phone, trust me this was very minor and I actually for once enjoyed talking on the Tre0 650 without having to ask people to speak up!

Things it won't do with the Treo 650

1)You cannot voice dial from the headset(I believe this is a limitation with all headsets on the 650)

**Updated** Other users confirms you CAN use the "talk" button to answer calls and the "twilight zone" tune plays when Treo 650 rings...I apologize for my earlier comment that said this was not possible

Thing's you can do with the Treo 650

1) Press and hold Volume up/down and it will redial the last number you called
    2) Call Termination, hang up.
    3) Mute Headset(Sorry didn't test)
    4) Call waiting(Nobody called during tests, so not sure it works)

Carrying the Bluespoon AX

A handy Lanyard is provided with the Bluespoon AX, on the end is a mini-usb connector that plugs into the the end of the AX..it is secure and your AX won't accidentily fall off the lanyard..it take's a slight bit of pressure to disconnect it.

Comfort and look's

First thing's first, I don't wanna look like a Borg!!...I had initially thought of buying the Sony HBH660 after all the reviews but the size and look's basically said "You've been assimilated"

The Bluespoon AX is very small and after the third call I had no problems easily disconnecting it from the lanyard and popping it in my ear easily, the earpiece or soft spring gives just the right amount of pressure to hold it securely in my ear..I could do everything I normally do and not worry about it popping out of my ear.

I personally like the black color, I wear black alot and hanging around my neck on the lanyard it was barely noticeable except for the intermittent blue flash every 10 seconds to let you know it was on.

As for comfort I thought it felt fine for calls lasting 15+ minutes, I am sure you could wear it all day but then again you might look like a Borg

Conclusion

I would give this an honest rating of 4.5 out of 5 , the only other thing I really wish for was answering with the "Talk" button on the headset...though using the buttons on the 650 to initiate isnt too much of a problem for me as I am wearing a holster were the Treo faces outward...I also realize that *maybe* this limitation will be fixed someday if it has to do with the Treo Bluetooth...

*I also wish I could turn off the blue flashing led(every ten seconds) if I so choose, I guess this is so you are aware the unit is powered on and linked up and so others don't think your some crazy talking to yourself.

Would I recommend this too my best freind? Yes I would and of course I'd make him aware of the few limitations as I have in this thread..I would say the limitations are more the fault of the Treo 650 and not the headset..I will possibly try it with a Sony P800 this week and see if it does everything it claims.

Was it worth the money?

Worth every dollar! I consider it $100 spent to solve the low volume issue instead of waiting for a firmware update for my unlocked gsm, I took a gamble on the Bluespoon AX and hadnt read many comment's on it...my gamble paid off for me and I am more than impressed with the quality.

**Note this is the very first bluetooth headset I have ever bought or tried, I really don't have many complaints about the audio quality for a wireless and I am rather picky about sound..I consider myself a Audiophile and also a have training in Recording Engineering though its not my career...of course the Bluespoon AX isnt Audiophile Class A gear but for $100...you can't complain!

Guarenteed I will buy the "Bluespoon 5G" when available
    http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/readreviews.php?id=515
    Photo's
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by timexx8; 03/30/2005 at 05:49 AM.
    what??? you've bought it for 99?! you can get it for $75!
    and the charger, it only cost 12 bucks....
    got it from mixmaven @ hofo
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
  3.    #3  
    Yes thats what I said, I also mentioned at the very beginning it could be bought elsewhere for cheaper and recommend people shop around...my loss but I'm not complaining at all with what I paid.

I don't know what the chargers are worth but assuming they are worth $12 each, I got two with it so it works out about the same.
    here's a picture of it....a protype AX & the production set

the transparent is a prototype

http://wolwol.smugmug.com/photos/13802327-M.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by timexx8
    Yes thats what I said, I also mentioned at the very beginning it could be bought elsewhere for cheaper and recommend people shop around...my loss but I'm not complaining at all with what I paid.

I don't know what the chargers are worth but assuming they are worth $12 each, I got two with it so it works out about the same.

sorry
    i didn't get to read everything, i skimmed thru and saw the price...

anyway i've just bought a hbh-660, too bad the caller id doesn't really work, it only show the numbers instead name of the caller -contacts is in treo 650-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...524_resize.jpg
    Things it won't do with the Treo 650

1)You cannot voice dial from the headset(I believe this is a limitation with all headsets on the 650)

2) You cannot press the "talk" button and answer calls from the headset, I tried repeated times and all that worked was pressing the green phone button or the center button which I usually press to answer

3)Audible ring in headset(It mentions in the manual you should hear the ring), I don't hear it but that's okay with me.

for 2 & 3, I thing I can do this with my bluespoon ax. wait for 4-5 seconds before the (barely) audible ring in headset then press the talk button.
    or try to delete & pair the ax again
  7.    #7  
    Thanks I'll try this..I was sure I waited over 4-5 seconds more than once and heard nothing..after I pressed talk nothing so I would press the green phone button..if I let it go longer my voicemail would likely pick up, I think I have it set for 4 rings.

I'll try to get this working tommorow, thank's for the tips
    Last edited by timexx8; 03/30/2005 at 04:21 AM.
    2) You cannot press the "talk" button and answer calls from the headset, I tried repeated times and all that worked was pressing the green phone button or the center button which I usually press to answer

3)Audible ring in headset(It mentions in the manual you should hear the ring), I don't hear it but that's okay with me.

You definitely can answer by pushing the talk button! AND although faint, the twilight zone theme (doo dee doo doo) plays in the headset when the treo rings!
  9.    #9  
    I have updated my earlier comments, thank's everybody who mentioned you can indeed answer from the headset with the *Talk* button
    Have you tried your AX outside yet? When you do, please post an update.
    with the AX, if you hold one of the volume button for awhile, voila, its a redial

outside? yea, loud @ clear
    Hi All,

Is anyone using the Bluespoon AX with a Sprint Treo 650 that has had the latest 1.08 filmware update? Are there any low volume issues when using this combo. Any feedback would be very helpfull!!! Thanks!!
  13.    #13  
    One of my call's late last night was outside and it seemed to work fine with my 650 on my hip while in the holster...about 2 hours ago I was out walking around and got a call and had no problems at all hearing, my computer room has 5 PC's running with fan's as well as a fan to cool the room off so I'd have to say its pretty noisy...noisy enough all my freinds complain of the "Fan Drone"

**Note today I confirmed an audible tone is heard when the phone rings...faint Twilight Zone jingle , I was also able to answer from the headset with the "Talk" button which I had originally stated I could not.

*I'm not sure what other's true thoughts are on this headset but the size, cost, features and volume of the headset are perfect for me and I'm more than happy with it so far...this was the very first Bluetooth headset I have bought and I'm glad I didn't have to buy more than one model to find one that work's.
    Does it stay in your ear well? Is there a physical switch or do you have to a hold a button down to turn it on?
  15.    #15  
    Stays in my ear fine..can walk around and do everything I normally do without worrying it might fall out, to turn it on/off the "talk" button is held for 4 seconds...if you have it turned on and a call comes in soon you will hear a "Twilight Zone" ring and you touch the "Talk" button and the call is connected right away.

*I normally have it hanging on the lanyard and when a call comes in by the time I pull it off the lanyard and pop it in my ear I am just starting to hear the "Twilight Zone" ring faintly and press the talk button and its connected to the call.
    timexx8,

Thanks for the feedback--this one looks like a winner!! Does anyone know if the Bluespoon AX can be used with the Jabra ear gels?
    My battery lasts 4 minutes, they are making me pay to send them the device back before they ship me a replacement.
    Timex: Can we get extra batteries? You with Rogers?
    Even though mine doesn't work, I kept it on for a day to get used to it. It is very solid when in the ear.
  20.    #20  
    Rossignol..yes I am with Rogers, as for the extra batterys it looks like s simple watch battery? can't be that hard to replace
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast