1.    #1  
    I finally got my Visor connected to an external modem and have been checking out various comm apps like ProxiWeb, AvantGo, AOLMail and AIM, and EudoraWeb. Even though the modem is only 14.4, it's kinda neat to surf from the VDx.

I have encountered one small annoyance, however. The "auto-off" feature is nice except when you're connected. It's way to easy to get distracted for more than 3 minutes and when I do... poof!!!... I lose the connection (just as advertised).

So... what I''m looking for is a hack or app that disables auto-off whenever a connection is present (then re-enables it when the connection is terminated). Does anyone know if such an animal exists? If not, any PalmOS coders out there up to the challenge?

I've seen software that extends the auto-off time beyond 3 minutes, etc (I even have ATool that allows auto-off up to 480 minutes). But I just want something that works while connected. If only I knew how to code for the PalmOS...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    I've seen software that extends the auto-off time beyond 3 minutes, etc (I even have ATool that allows auto-off up to 480 minutes). But I just want something that works while connected. If only I knew how to code for the PalmOS...
    Another possibility: Shortcut dot 3 will disable the auto off feature. However the only way to re-enable it is to do a soft reset.

So... what I'm looking for is a hack or app that disables auto-off whenever a connection is present (then re-enables it when the connection is terminated). Does anyone know if such an animal exists? If not, any PalmOS coders out there up to the challenge?
    I do not have the time (or the equipment (modem, serial cable)) to try it, but I can give some pointers on how to approach it for someone who does. I think it would be quite easy.
    • This can be done in a normal application. No need for the potential problems of a HACK. The main functionality is outlined as follows. Other things like User interface, and configuration need to be worked out.
    • The application will register itself for notification of the Sleep Request Event. SysNotifyRegister( ..., sysNotifySleepRequestEvent, ... ). See Notifications.
    • When the application receives this notification it will be in the background. The PilotMain will receive a Launch code of sysAppLaunchCmdNotify and the cmdPBP->notify->notifyType will be sysNotifySleepRequestEvent.
    • Test to see if the network library is active. NetLibOpenCount().
    • If it is, reset the auto off timer. There are two ways I see of doing this.
      The first is to increment the deferSleep counter in the notification structure ( cmdPBP->notify->notifyDetailsP->deferSleep++ ). However, one then has to re-enable the sleep request at a later time. A way of doing this would be to set an alarm in 5 minutes, and when it goes off test the Net library again. If still active, another 5. If not, re-enable the sleep request ( I think that is: EvtEnqueueKey( resumeSleepChr, 0, commandKeyMask ). The other would be to call EvtResetAutoOffTimer(), but I am not sure if it is valid to call that function at this time.
    Once this is working out, one could then try to convert this application into a Prefs panel.
    Perhaps it would be easier to use something like ATool and set the auto-off to a more reasonable time. Mine is set to 10 minutes. Not long enough to really draw down the batteries but long enough that if left on for that amount of time, I've probably moved on to something else and forgotten I left it turned on.
    Jay
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by potter
    Another possibility: Shortcut dot 3 will disable the auto off feature. However the only way to re-enable it is to do a soft reset.
    Actually, I played with that this weekend and it seems that going into preferences DOES restore the selected auto-off setting. Then again, maybe it was ATool... Either way, I was able to get an auto-off without resetting.

Originally posted by frasej
    use something like ATool and set the auto-off to a more reasonable time
    I thought about that, too. I'm just not comfortable leaving it set at 10 minutes or more (old habits die hard).
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...