1.    #1  
    I just purchased a Treo650 and was frustrated that I needed to purchase a another program to add "Real Ringtones" (WAV,Mp3) Anyway I was just screwing around and I stumbled on to something. I currently use Versamail to obtain my E-mail from my Yahoo! account. I was sending midi ringtones to myself and installing them on to my phone. So I thought what if I did this with a Wav file. I tried it but the wav opened up in treo's wav player. So what I did was tap the small yellowish file next to the file name to bring down options. I then chose "Select Viewer” There was an option for "Sounds" I tapped it and the treo immediately converted and transferred the file to the sounds menu. Now I can choose a wav file as a ringtone or alert and assign them to my contacts without any further software! However this did not work for the mp3. Sorry if this has been posted before....I searched and couldn't find anything relating to this. Hope someone will find it useful....I did.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    both the wav.mp3 file is converted to AMR format, Treo650 has full 3GPP video & AMR audio support.
    Handspring treo 90/180/600
    pa1m0ne Treo650 palm Treo 680, palm Treo750,Centro,Samsung i780, Now Treo Pro
    Wht abt Treo 600, how can i use WAV AMR MIDI for my ringtone
    ok, i tried to hotsync a .wav file to my 650 and can't seem to find it now. is that even possible?
    I think you need download the file via the internet on your phone.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by BP57
    ok, i tried to hotsync a .wav file to my 650 and can't seem to find it now. is that even possible?
    after you hotsync your wav file to the card you need to convert it to AMR format. go and download wav2Tones at www.toysoft.ca
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    smiley88 I think the topic said "Wav Ringtones without any add on programs!" , meaning he doesnt want to buy anything especially from someone who doesnt answer questions about bug's in his program's
  8.    #8  
    I didn't try hotsync, but I used versamail. I sent myself an e-mail with a .wav attachment. When you open versamail it displays the attachment with a yellowish icon followed by the file name. If you tap the icon it will give you options, one being "SELECT VIEWER..." Choose that one and a quick pop up message will display "Converting" Now a new pop up box will open titled "Select Viewer" It displays the type of file (.WAV). Under that is another drop down menu that contains the option to open the file in "Sounds" Select this.
    After that tap "DONE" Now just click on the file name and a pop up will display and ask to confirm the file name. Tap "OK" and the phone will immediatly transfer the file to your sound's directory.
    No other way to convert to AMR for free?
    Yeah, there's a nokia program that is free to use that will convert a couple different formats into AMR.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

I never had a problem from ToySoft or Danny to respond, actually I get a fast responce. What's the problems with them? Other than KoolAlarms won't work with Snapper or other apps....
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    So I I figured out how to do this via hotsync.

1. Hotsync the .wav files to your treo.
    2. Create a bogus email in versamail with the sound as an attachment and save it to outbox instead of sending it.
    3. Open the email from outbox and select the yellow square and view it in SOUNDS.

Wallah! it's saved to your sounds.
    I just did it with a clip fromt he Good the Bad and the Ugly. Makes a great ringtone!
    well, if you have verichat then you can just im it to yourself. I know we are adding an additional program, but if you have a Treo you must have some kind of IM software or you don't know what you are missing.

Al
    I can't get service inside my building so I had to do it with out an external help.

Besides the topic says with out any add on programs :P
    Quote Originally Posted by hariustrk
    I just did it with a clip fromt he Good the Bad and the Ugly. Makes a great ringtone!
    Oooh! Can you send me a copy of the clip?
    Dooeee ooee ooo...BUM BUM BUM!
    I just tried this in ChatterMail:

1. Create a new message.
    2. Put yourself in the "To:" field. For the subject, put whatever you like.
    3. Hit the paperclip icon to attach a file.
    4. Browse to the .wav file you want to import (in my case, I selected "SD Card", and browsed to an audio file on the card). You might try attaching several .wav files to a single email message to save time.
    5. Click the "Send" button to send the file to yourself.
    6. When your new message arrives, click on the attachment name (whatever.wav).
    7. An "attachment" window will pop-up. Click the "Load Attachment" button.
    8. The rest of the file will be downloaded from the server (you can see the progress bar at the lower right of the screen).
    9. The "attachment" window will pop-up again. This time, click the "Open" button.
    10. A "Select Application" window will pop-up. Select "Sounds".
    11. The "Manage Sounds" screen will appear. The new .wav sound may appear with a "???" name within the list. If this is the case (as it was for me), simply highlight the "???" sound, click the "Details" button, and rename the file.
    13. To use the new sound, select the "Sound Preferences" menu from within the phone application, select the "Tones" button on the upper part of the screen, and select the new .wav sample from one of the pull-down menus in the middle of the screen.
    14. Repeat as needed (I added this because I have having 13 steps - superstitious).
    So, anybody using the wav-to-ringtone trick?

I would have thought that it would create quite a stir, considering the users of alternate programs that do a similar thing (but to a greater extent, of course).
    i am works flawless and no charge
    I've succesfully used two different free methods in converting .wav files to .amr (PalmOS native sounds files):

First, Download the .wav files from a webspace using Blazer. You load in the url of the .wav file, and the PalmOS will ask if you wish to install it to Sounds. Downside to this method is you have to have access to these files or host them yourself. (Note: this system does not work once you've installed an MP3 program like Ptunes, as the MP3 application hijacks the native-sound converter during the conversion process).

Second, is similar to the above, in that one uses a Mail or IM program to coax the internal sound editor to install the .wav file. I use Snappermail, and like above, 1 I create a new faux email, 2attach the .wav file (installed to my SD card via hotsync or card reader), 3click on the attachment, 4select "Open with Sounds". Now, I don't know if this happens with Versamail (which I couldn't get the .wav file attached no matter what I tried), but in my method after Steps 1-4 above, the Sound Manager opens up with the newly-converted .amr file, but its named ???. I simply click "Details" and rename to whatever I wish.

Hope that helps!