1.    #1  
    ...wonder if they'll ever make a version of this for the Treo 650. Check this out:

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2005_03/pr2901.htm

...hmmm... nano-technology finally having some practical applications other than science fiction stories!
    Holy Lithium Ions Batman!
    Totally cool....can't wait.
    Sweet! This would definitely be great for cell phones and laptops.
    Is it April 1 in Japan now?
    If this new technology takes off, and I'm sure it will (with or without Toshiba), our world is going to change rapidly once it's applied. Just imagine, various devices that can remain battery powered, but be fully recharged almost instantly via the Sun, a mini hand crank, or even a simple shake (like those flashlights). This is going to open the doors to some really amazing stuff.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    LOL hope it won't discharge in 30 seconds in real?
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    If this new technology takes off, and I'm sure it will (with or without Toshiba), our world is going to change rapidly once it's applied. Just imagine, various devices that can remain battery powered, but be fully recharged almost instantly via the Sun, a mini hand crank, or even a simple shake (like those flashlights). This is going to open the doors to some really amazing stuff.
    I wouldn't get my hopes up for rapid charging from the sun. I would think this battery would take a lot of current to charge it as fast as they claim. To get that large current, you would need large solar panels.

But to have things charge that fast using a car charger would be great. A one minuit commute would charge your phone.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    I wouldn't get my hopes up for rapid charging from the sun. I would think this battery would take a lot of current to charge it as fast as they claim. To get that large current, you would need large solar panels.
    Yes, I realize thats probably the case, but the possibility will still exist. If it does not require high current then the Sun could suffice.
    Regardless of how quickly the battery can charge the same amount of total energy would need to be put in (minus entropy losses etc) that you get out. For it to charge in one minute means you need to be able to get all the electrical energy in the battery in one minute as skydivewags said. High current=large solar panels or very fast hand cranking.

Then again if the power transfer is more efficient then maybe it will be possible. Anyone know the power loss during charging current Li ion batteries?

Or we could develop more efficient solar panels. Last I checked they only convert 5-10% of the solar energy input into electricity currently. If we could get them to 50-60% like plants. Well who knows.