1.    #1  
    I am considering a Treo 650 smartphone and while I am at it considering switching from Windows mobile to Palm OS.

For years I had used Palm devices and used reset so seldom I would forget how. This is not so with Pocket PCs I've used for the last 4 years. Though I hate to give up my Pocket PC software, I am looking for reliability in a smart phone. Have others here made this switch and not regretted the decision?

I'm interested to know what inspires users to go for a Palm OS and not Win Mobile smartphone. Same frustration with reliability that I'm having? I'm also getting tired of have to buy a new PocketPC for every Win Mobile update. I purchased an HP 4700 to get 2003 SE which really has nothing worth upgrading for, and now it appears Win Mobile 2005 will also require another device. I have the feeling switching back to Palm OS will be less expensive and more reliable in the long run.
    go with a treo 650, you will LOVE it. I am a long time palm user, and have tried ppc devices, last one I used was an ipaq 4155. They are not bad machines, just not as inutitive and it takes less taps on a palm than a ppc to get what you want. The treo 650 is the smartphone to have, hands down!!
    i dont know, i bought the hhx4700 for its vga screen, not WM2003se. most people buy a device for its features and ease of use and not the operating system it runs on per se. i wanted the most powerful PDA on the market, so i got the 4700. when i got my first treo 600 it was actually because my pocket pc phone was just way too big. i liked the form factor of the treo and the usability features- especially the one handed operation. i wasn't a big fan of palm OS, but i learned its strengths and weaknesses. i am happy with the co-existance of palm and windows. i wouldn't say migration... i'm typing this on my hx4700 right now because my laptop is dead and the ipaq does all that my laptop does in a small package. for me, it works out, and i've found a lot of things for palm os that i had for windows mobile, and vice versa. my rule of thumb is i have my treo all the time... the ipaq is on me about 50%. everything i need all the time- contacts, calendar, email (yea sounds funny) are with me all the time. if i need to do wifi troubleshooting or gps navigation, i get out the ipaq.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    I completely disagree with you on that. Most people buy a device these days because of operating system. Sure ppc,windows mobile, whatever they call themselves these days (kidding) have some nice specs, but it comes down to usage. When I had my ipaq if I forgot to close apps the system would become so slow, get that spinning ball/hour glass. I just think that the palm os is so much more intuitive for a mobile device. The treo 650 and the version of the os works so well one handed with the 5 way navigation, that that alone makes it for me a better device. Sure I'd love a vga screen, wifi, but I don't like hourglasses on my device when I need something now. The windows mobile is such a bloated os. Look they are even changing the way it handles memory in the next version windows mobile 2005 to be more palm like. I am not flaming, I have used both os'es, and it just takes less time to do things on a palm than it does a windows device.
    I've been a ppc guy for many years and have been very happy with them. I still use my old HP Jornada almost every day.

I had been waiting for the Motorola MPx to be released and I was seriously going to buy it instead of the Treo 650. I've given up on Motorola ever releasing it. I also decided that I'd rather have the quad band Treo instead of the tri band MPx because I'd like the ability to hit that second US frequency if I need it while traveling.

I did some research and it looks like I can get all the software I need on the Palm OS so I made the switch.

Good luck on your decision.
    Dan,

The Treo 650 is a very good device. I went from a Palm IIIx to a Handera 330 to a Dell Axim X5 to a Kyocera 7135 to a Treo 600 to the Treo 650. So I did have ONE PocketPC device!

I think that there is a lot of similarity between the applications that are available on the Palm OS and the Microsoft PocketPC format. I tend to look at things from their big picture perspective. To that end, both formats can do similar functions well. People can debate the specifics to death. Use the search function for those threads.

Stability on the Treo 650 has been very good for me. I have had resets, but they have been few and far between. My Kyocera 7135 was the opposite, I was resetting that thing all the time (when it wasn't spontaneously resetting itself). My Axim had more resets than I preferred, but it wasn't the deciding factor for me. I choose Palm for the simplicity factor.

I had the opportunity to go to one of the Treo roadshow events late last year and I was very impressed by the presentation that spoke about the user testing that had been done by PalmOne when they developed the Treo 600. They would measure the frequency that individuals would engage certain functions and they placed the buttons or options in a tiered system that made the tool easier to use for the more common tasks. I had always felt that the Palm OS was easier to use and I finally had an explanation as to why I felt that way. I never had that feeling when using the PocketPC OS. If anything, it was the reverse.

My greatest disappointment is that lack of variety of smartphones using the Palm OS. Once the Treo line came out, everyone seems to have left the field. In fact, the palmOne Treo series is the only OS5 series of devices available in the U.S. in the smartphone category. Yeah, there is the Samsung and Kyocera units, but they're antiques at this point running OS 3 and OS 4. With that lack of breadth in the marketplace, I get concerned for the future of the Palm OS.

Microsoft's field continues to grow though. The number of manufacturers and the number of devices coming out is very impressive. As was mentioned by Travelin'Rich, the Motorola MPX looked REALLY impressive, until people started using it! But they've got an impressive idea IMO. Then there is the upcoming Samsung i730 on Verizon. Another VERY impressive device.

But the reason I stayed with Palm is still the simplicity. Fortunately they made a good decision on their hardware as well.

Good luck with your decision, whichever way it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan.Carter
    I'm interested to know what inspires users to go for a Palm OS and not Win Mobile smartphone.
    It's not Windows. No, I am not an anti-windows fanatic but the two companies have different mind sets.

Palm seems to take a minimalist approach, figure out what people want and how to make money selling it to them. No "bundles", assemble your tool set by adding one tool at a time.

MS seems to start with what they want you to have on the unit, which maximizes their long term $$ growth strategies" and then figure out how to cram it into something affordable. "Bundles" is the stratgey here by forcing you to take 4 things you don't want with every one thing you do want. The result is a cumbersome, bloated device that is dragged down by stuff that you don't want to be there.
    Just switched from WindowsMobile world to Palm world with a Treo 650 about a month ago. Used Windows CE devices, Pocket PC, iPaqs, Axims, MPX 200 and MPX 220 for years before my Treo 650.

The MS devices had lots of resets, true, but I'm not sure that the Palm has any less resets unless you want to stick to the built-in software (hint: pay for a good email program like Chatter and a good IM program like VeraChat). I still experience the occasional lock up or reset.

As others have said, that Palm is a different device. What I miss the most of the PPC is having ActiveSync STAY in sync mode as long as you are in the cradle while with the Palm, you have to manually sync with the hotsync button. This means that "grab the Treo and leave the office" isn't an option if you want to be leaving with the latest of your email, contacts, calendar and tasks.

What I do like is that there are quite a few programs for Palm out there to do just about anything you want (hint: stick to those that specifically mention the Treo in its supported platforms and you'll cut back on those resets and lockups I mentioned above). Yes, the PPC has been around a while now and there are some nice programs for it as well but there seem to be more choices with the Palm.

To be fair, I've used the Windows-mobile smartphones (phone with PDA features) but never a Windows mobile PPC Phone Edition (PDA with phone features) which is closer to the Treo.