Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I am trying to use 4cast on my unlocked GSM Treo 650 on TMO and all is well when using a city out of the suppied list. However if I try to add a city I get a soft reset. As instructed I went to weather.yahoo.com and entered 87043 for my zip and got code: USNM0240 which I then entered in 4cast together with the name: Placitas, NM. When I hit OK I immediately got a soft reset. I have 2day installed and was using 4cast standalone running from internal memory.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions as I very much want to use 4cast.

Frank
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Just tried it again. Uninstalled then reinstalled, registered, and replaced first entry in city list with zip 87043. 4cast connected to GPRS and downloaded the forecast. Then added two more zip codes in the same way and both worked. Then edited the zips to names and refreshed all. All fine.

Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcgirt
    I am trying to use 4cast on my unlocked GSM Treo 650 on TMO and all is well when using a city out of the suppied list. However if I try to add a city I get a soft reset. As instructed I went to weather.yahoo.com and entered 87043 for my zip and got code: USNM0240 which I then entered in 4cast together with the name: Placitas, NM. When I hit OK I immediately got a soft reset. I have 2day installed and was using 4cast standalone running from internal memory.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions as I very much want to use 4cast.

Frank
    Hi,

Can you detail the exact steps you took and text you entered to create the problem - I would like to try and recreate it...

Thanks
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    This is from memory but it was pretty much as I said initially: Downloaded 4cast152 and installed using my Mac PB with OSX 10.3.8. Was installed in Unfiled category in internal memory on 650 so I changed category to Main and double clicked on 4cast to execute standalone. It came up asking me to agree with the use of Yahoo weather data. I did so and then it went to the Select city list. I looked through the list and then edited the first entry to Placitas, NM and clicked on Add. I got an instruction dialog asking me to go to weather.yahoo.com and get the code for the city I wanted. Using the Mac I went to the Yahoo web site. At the web site I entered 87043 as the zip which then located Placitas, NM with code USNM0240. I entered the code in the first line and changed the second line to Placitas, NM and clicked OK or Add - whatever was there. Immediately I got a soft reset.

Then I uninstalled (with Uninstall), re-installed, changed category and executed 4cast standalone. Agreed to the use of Yahoo data and again went to city list dialog. This time I just entered 87043, clicked Add and it queryed the zip and returned OK. I was able to refresh 87043 fine so I renamed the city to Placitas, NM and added a couple more locations in the same way. (At some point in here I entered the Reg Code and clicked Register). All worked fine so I added 4cast as a plugin to 2day and tested the refresh again there. All worked fine and has been fine with every use since.

Hope this helps,

Frank

PS Also meant to ask will 4cast work OK if moved to my SD card with something like PowerRun?
    I had the same problem when trying to enter the code for my city as well. I continued to get resets. I don't remember how i fixed it though, I ended up playing around with it long enough to get it working.

I know that won't help you much in troublshooting or fixing the problem, but at least you know it wasn't an isolated incident.
    Thanks.

I will try to recteae this some more.

Regarding working on SD card - never tried that. I will...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com