Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    If you are not saying its theft of information, may i suggest you don't use terms like burgler, and instread use terms like tresspass. This way people don't get confused.
    EXACTLY! Considering the original post said nothing about taking something from someone.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    See what I mean - we're going to argue over what the meaning of "is" is, instead of focusing on the real issue - why do you guys insist on finding ways to rationalize this juvenile behavior in the first place. So what if you say "burglar" or "trespass." You are still NOT addressing the central issue - condoning inappropriate behavior. I have yet to here a single apologist among you have a valid justification for bluejacking.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Well, as long as e-mail and snail-mail spam are legal I wolud classify someone sending me their pim information without my consent legal as well. The worst that they could send can easily be matched by what's already in my junk mail folder.

At least with bluetooth I can turn off discovery, wish there was a simple option like that for email to keep people from sending me junk.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    See what I mean - we're going to argue over what the meaning of "is" is, instead of focusing on the real issue - why do you guys insist on finding ways to rationalize this juvenile behavior in the first place. So what if you say "burglar" or "trespass." You are still NOT addressing the central issue - condoning inappropriate behavior. I have yet to here a single apologist among you have a valid justification for bluejacking.
    On your first issue, I was discussing that using analogies such as theft or burglary gives people the wrong impression of what is happening with their device and creates an unwarranted panic. Such a panic can cause overreactions to something that is innocent and fun and will ruin things for the rest of us who like a little unexpected fun (maybe this is why the Verizon treo 650 doesn't include Obex BT profile).

On what you describe as the central issue, I am not rationalizing the behavior, I am pointing out how its not theft. If you want to call sending pics of your dog juvenile or inappropriate fine, that’s your belief. However, at certain points this thread was giving out false information and getting people to think thier personal information was stolen or burglarized. I only entered this thread once people started saying Bluejacking was the same as breaking and entering, theft, and taking someone’s credit card. I wanted to set the record straight before people got scared off from what could become a fun form of messaging.

There is no rationalizing fun (or juvenile behavior), you do it for fun (try it sometime you may like it), yes, I probably do things most would consider juvenile and never apologize for them. I don’t do things or encourage people to do things that are malicious (see my other posts). For example, I smile at people in the elevator and blame the smell on the previous person instead of staring at the numbers. And on a special day, when I am feeling really frisky, I will stand next to someone in an elevator instead of standing on the opposite side. However, I no longer due this after 9-11 cause everyone gets to scared of things that are new, unexpected, or are part of a female body (and that’s too bad, cause as juvenile as it is, I think a nipple is terrible thing to waste).

Edit*** Can I say nipple in this forum?
    Redit*** If not, then sorry, it was a keyboard malfunction

Tag your it
    Last edited by ink883; 04/04/2005 at 04:08 PM.
    Not that I am going to use this, but I wanted to show some people here at work how to protect themselves, however I can't make it work. It always says "unable to send to:" It doesn't have any problems finding people though. Anyone have any ideas on why this doesn't work.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sander
    Not that I am going to use this, but I wanted to show some people here at work how to protect themselves, however I can't make it work. It always says "unable to send to:" It doesn't have any problems finding people though. Anyone have any ideas on why this doesn't work.
    If it says unable to send, then the other person isn't accepting your file and you can't make the transfer. You will have to find people who have discovery on and are willing to accept the file (only a few older phones will accept files with just discovery on).
    (maybe this is why the Verizon treo 650 doesn't include Obex BT profile).
    They don't include this in their phones to make you pay for their outrageously overpriced Get It Now service.
    1 | 2
    Quote Originally Posted by slr001
    It is no more wrong than any prank. GET OVER IT
    Pranks are still wrong. I don't need to get over it, the morons pulling stupid pranks on people they don't know should.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Seems some don't understand how respect works.

Just because you can send me something does not mean I wish to have useless pictures of your pet.

Sending meaningless data to people you don't know for nothing more than your personal amusement shows a clear lack of maturity and lack of respect.
    I guess I'm all messed up. I thought it was OK to say hi to people you don't know. I do it all the time. While waiting for anything anywhere, in a line or at a station. I like to start conversation and get to know new freinds. But all the time I was sending meaningless verbal data...
    I do agree, sending the "ice breaker" picture of a pet dog without the follow up introduction is a lack of respect. But I think this whole thing has a good side too.

Tag you're it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ink883
    ... And on a special day, when I am feeling really frisky, I will stand next to someone in an elevator instead of standing on the opposite side. However, I no longer due this after 9-11 cause everyone gets to scared of things that are new, unexpected, or are part of a female body (and that’s too bad, cause as juvenile as it is, I think a nipple is terrible thing to waste).

Edit*** Can I say nipple in this forum?
    Redit*** If not, then sorry, it was a keyboard malfunction

Tag your it
    Okay - I surrender.

How in the _____ can I possibly respond to, much less top, this one. I guess elevator rides aren't always so dreary.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Hello all, I usually just observe, and learn a lot about my phone from here, but this thread really amazed me.

Okay, everybody needs to simmer down now. I am amazed at how upset people are getting over such a small thing. To make a point in Clownracer's favor… Some have tried to say, it was an “uninvited trespasses” into others phones. Technically, this is not correct. If you leave your phone set to “discoverable,” you are inviting people in. Many people actually look forward to being “bluejacked.” In some areas, it has become a popular way to meet people socially (go ahead and google “toothing”). To compare bluejacking to breaking into someone’s home is just plain ridiculous. If you really want to stick with the house analogy, that’s fine. I hate to break it to everyone who is having a fit over this, but your home is just like a Bluetooth device. If clownracer wanted to, he could look around, and then drop a photo of his dog into your mailbox or mail slot. It’s basically the same thing. He didn’t take anything out, or even break the door – he just used the open slot you already had. Believe it or not, I think they used to call bluejacking “junk mail” in the real world! As someone else mentioned, the receivers had to agree to accept the photo that clownracer tried to send.

I think we all know what this really boils down to… Everyone who is upset by Clownracer don’t really have an issue with the bluejacking, they are really just cat lovers!
    Quote Originally Posted by UkBigDog
    Okay, everybody needs to simmer down now.
    Methinks the simmering had already been done; the last post prior to yours was three weeks ago. But thanks for resurrecting it.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetkins
    Methinks the simmering had already been done; the last post prior to yours was three weeks ago. But thanks for resurrecting it.
    darn, Jet....You beat me to it. I wanted to post the "duh" comment.

I'm simmering now.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by UkBigDog
    Many people actually look forward to being “bluejacked.” In some areas, it has become a popular way to meet people socially (go ahead and google “toothing”).
    Don't mean to resurrect this thread, but just for the record, "toothing" was proven to be mostly a hoax. It has very rarely (if ever) actually happened. It was made up by some british bloke being interviewed by the Sun or some such, and he himself admitted he made it up years later. Whole communities sprung up from what was certifiably a lie. Even the newspaper itself has mentioned it has never been able to find actual proof or witness anyone sucessfully toothing (hooking up).

More reading here
    http://www.hanasiana.com/archives/000323.html
    http://www.thetriforce.com/newblog/?p=53
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567