Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600
    You can't charge someone with breaking and entering if you left the front door open...
    Maybe in your part of Texas that's the law, but for the rest of us your statement is 100% false.

You CAN and WILL be charged if you enter someone's home without their consent and an open door or window is NOT CONSENT! (Oh the windows was open officer, so I figured I'd crawl on in... .)

I don't find this to be comparable with dropping a printed photo in an open car. Its more like spilling a drink in an open car window! And then the owner of the car must clean up the mess you've made!
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Sounds like the criminal that feels he can rob a house because the doors were unlocked .
    Actually, you can't charge them with breaking and entering, but you can charge them with stealing your stuff, depending on the state.

I just don't get you folks who are getting all high and mighty about this being the "worst thing ever". He did NO damage, took NO information, left a calling card because the phone owner left their pants down. Stop having a victim mentatlity and lock your phone up or someone who isn't as nice will come along and have their way with you...unless of course, you like being a victim.
    Actually, you can't charge them with breaking and entering, but you can charge them with stealing your stuff, depending on the state.
    You are trespassing on someone else's property without their consent!
    I don't find this to be comparable with dropping a printed photo in an open car. Its more like spilling a drink in an open car window! And then the owner of the car must clean up the mess you've made!
    I don't see that as even close, spilling a drink does damage to the car. Leaving a picture in a car or on a phone requires you to either a) press the delete button or b) wad it up and throw it in the trash. In both cases no damage is done and you are a bit wiser about leaving your pants down.
    I just don't get you folks who are getting all high and mighty about this being the "worst thing ever".
    This has nothing to do with "high and mighty" it has to do with bothering someone who you don't know that never invited you in!

He did NO damage,
    I do think this uses some space on the Treo leaving less for the owner to use.

Stop having a victim mentatlity and lock your phone up or someone who isn't as nice will come along and have their way with you...unless of course, you like being a victim.
    This is like saying wear a bullet proof vest when you go outside else a bullet might hit you!

The only reason a "lock" was ever needed was because of misdeeds by others. Informing someone of something is one thing and just abusing for your own personal amusement is another.

The abuse does not tell the abused how to secure their phone.

Stop having a "defensive mentality".
    I don't see that as even close, spilling a drink does damage to the car. Leaving a picture in a car or on a phone requires you to either a) press the delete button or b) wad it up and throw it in the trash. In both cases no damage is done and you are a bit wiser about leaving your pants down.
    How is someone "wiser"? They still have not been informed about how to secure the phone.

This is abuse plain and simple.
  7.    #67  
    wow i cant belive that this turned into a moral debate! for real alot of people are over reacting what i did caused NO HARM all someone has to do is hit CANCEL and there goes the pic this has been going on in londen for over a year except over there its a game that most people with BT play, not some heinous crime, i thought we were all into tech stuff on this forum bluejacking(bad name i guess) is just another fun thing that treo users can do with there phones...plus if i thought this was REMOTLY bad i probally wouldnt have posted it on these boards LOOKING for who i did it to you guys really need to grow up alittle i do realise everyone is entitled to there opinion but this is kind of lame my fault for the bad spelling/grammer im in a rush
    Maybe in your part of Texas that's the law, but for the rest of us your statement is 100% false.

You CAN and WILL be charged if you enter someone's home without their consent and an open door or window is NOT CONSENT! (Oh the windows was open officer, so I figured I'd crawl on in... .)
    Note, I didn't say if you go try the door..I said if you left it wide open and you can see if from the street. The way I see it, he was just looking around with RF eyes, not picking up the phone and physically trying it out.
    I agree with you clownracer, you didn't do any damage nor did you intend to. I worry and think about security on my systems, home, car, etc. all the time and to that end I do at least some due diligence work to make sure my pants aren't down.
    If you do anything to a computer that is not your own even if they have no password that is a form of criminal tresspassing. Just like sending a virus! And there are plenty of viruses that don't "harm". Still viruses can get the creator charged none the less!

When you are watching some TV what if I just take over your box and put what I want on the screen? Would not be very nice. And that dog is pretty ugly!
    Quote Originally Posted by clownracer
    wow i cant belive that this turned into a moral debate! for real alot of people are over reacting what i did caused NO HARM all someone has to do is hit CANCEL and there goes the pic this has been going on in londen for over a year except over there its a game that most people with BT play, not some heinous crime, i thought we were all into tech stuff on this forum bluejacking(bad name i guess) is just another fun thing that treo users can do with there phones...plus if i thought this was REMOTLY bad i probally wouldnt have posted it on these boards LOOKING for who i did it to you guys really need to grow up alittle i do realise everyone is entitled to there opinion but this is kind of lame my fault for the bad spelling/grammer im in a rush
    While it's not the worst thing or a huge deal what you did was still wrong.
    It's along the same lines as TPing someone's house, or having your dog crap in someone elses yard, or Windows Messaging messages.
    They're all uninvited trespasses that inconvienence the recipient because the trespasser feels like doing it or thinks it's funny or just has no care for his fellow man (or woman).
    You and others may think it is funny, you probably thought it was funny when someone egged someones car or left burning dog doo on their step too.
    Frankly, I don't see it as "hacking" at all. If you leave your windows down and your sunroof open while you go into the store and I drop a pic of my dog in to your car seat, have I done anything wrong?

You can't charge someone with breaking and entering if you left the front door open...
    I think you shoulda stopped at the dropping the picture of the dog into the car window example.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    OMFG, you guys are hilarious...

He didn't "break into" a phone, or car, or house, or anything... He sent a message.

Has anyone ever put a flyer on your front door? Or slipped an advertisement under your windhield wiper? Has anyone sent you bulk mail advertisements? Has anyone called you on the phone offering something?

Figuring out how things work, bluetooth, or custom roms, or reverse DUN, or anything else is how we learn... it is how we end up with better technology... or better uses for existing technology.

Way to go Clownracer... don't let these guys get to you. They are the type that will find something to complain about regardless of how hard they have to look.
    If someone puts a flyer on my front door or my windshield it's just as displeasing to me as someone putting an unwanted picture on my phone.
    I still have to dispose of the picture, something I shouldn't have to do for someone elses pleasure.
    Bulk mail at least has the benefit of subsidising the Us mail and making it cheaper for me to send things.
    You can try and justify it all you want, it's plain wrong.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    You can try and justify it all you want, it's plain wrong.
    It is no more wrong than any prank. GET OVER IT
    Man there sure is alot of whiners here...the kind of people that rave on and on that someone called their phone trying to sell something to them and they are gonna take action and sue them..good luck, plain and simple protect yourself and your property or someone will take advantage of you whether you like it or not...you can sit and whine all day about how this is wrong but if you don't do something yourself to stop it like umm maybe turn off *discovery* you'll be the only ***** left talking/whining about it.
    When's the last time someone splashed a picture onto your computer monitor without your consent? This is more like a virus situation where your computer does things you don't authorize. Not a flyer on your doorstep!

This is computer tresspass just as a virus that while not destroying files pops up an annoying message!

So if you've ever had a virus, just consider it a "prank" .

The Treo, obviously even the immature can own one...
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkAce
    Dstrauss: What exactly is meant by that? It's interesting how? that I am a participant in what? Just curious why you are calling (singling) me out?
    PunkAce - sorry, not calling you out. Just pointing out he WASN'T making his point with the listed thread, because it was about collecting on an incentive program and you were on the right side of that one.

FOR THE REST OF YOU LAUDING CLOWNRACER'S ANTICS: I'm leaving this thread because it is painfully obvious that you can't distinguish right from wrong. By your logic, anyone who does not do everything possible to protect themselves from YOUR MISBEHAVIOR deserves what they get:

You leave your credit card at the restaurant table, so I'm free to use it.

Leave your door unlocked and I'm breaking in.

You should have used a locked mailbox.

And worst of all, you just can't see the fallacy of your arguments, nor how wrong it is to encourage juveniles like this to keep TAGGING their universe.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Wrong or right, black or white. Frankly its all shades of grey.

I think many people feel it was wrong because the technological ignorant would have no idea what happened to their phone, especially after the Paris Hilton sidekick incident. The guy with the nokia was probably up all night wondering if his sensitive info stored in his phone had been compromised, or maybe he was not.

If the guy was well versed in bluetooth technology then shame on him for not turning off his bluetooth, because unfortunantly this is the world in which we live.

It is definantly wrong to invade his phone. Such pranks should be pulled between frends, not strangers.

Because it was harmless does not justify that it was right.
    Last edited by LennyV; 04/01/2005 at 10:43 PM.
    Lenny

Ice Visor Deluxe-->Treo 90-->Treo 650--> Treo 700p-->Burgundy Treo 755p -->Onyx Centro--> Pre Minus--> Pixi Minus

[Once I lost my corkscrew in Africa. We had to live on food and water for 2 weeks.....Ernest Hemmingway
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    I think you shoulda stopped at the dropping the picture of the dog into the car window example.
    I agree, hindsight!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast