1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if inphonic/Treoace.com is a reputable company? Has anyone ordered from them and if so, what were the results? They appear to be selling a Treo 650 for Sprint at 289.99... Considering I'm waiting on Tmobile (current carrier) to get the 650, and it doesn't look like they're going to make that move anytime soon (one of the other threads indicated end of April) I'm looking at Sprint since they seem to have a cheaper price. Thoughts anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher
    Does anyone know if inphonic/Treoace.com is a reputable company? Has anyone ordered from them and if so, what were the results? They appear to be selling a Treo 650 for Sprint at 289.99... Considering I'm waiting on Tmobile (current carrier) to get the 650, and it doesn't look like they're going to make that move anytime soon (one of the other threads indicated end of April) I'm looking at Sprint since they seem to have a cheaper price. Thoughts anyone?
    I ordered my phone from younevercall.com right when the Cingular model was released, shipping was delayed a bit because they ran out of inventory but they upgraded me to overnight shipping and I got my phone within a week.

I would recommend them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher
    I purchased my Treo 650 from them about a month ago when they were running a special for $79 after rebates. They did require me to fax in a copy of my social security card and drivers license, which made me nervous until I asked around about them. I would definitely take a look at the terms of the rebates on the offer you're looking at, because I was surprised to find that I have to wait 6 months before my rebate will be valid. I would recommend them, as long as you can wait for the rebate(s).
    Newton 120 -> Newton 2000 -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Prism -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 (Cingular | Unlocked)
    Redford, MI
    cplater AT gmail DOT com
    I bought a 600 from TreoCentral while waiting for my 650. Their vendor is InPhonics so inPhonics handles everything after the order is placed.

The delivery went smoothly but be VERY careful dealing with them verbally.

After receiving the phone, I had a question about the ability to port an existing cell number to the newly set-up account. I was totally clear and specific in saying I was only making an inquiry as to what would be involved and that I did NOT want to make any changes at the current time.

The customer service rep repeatedly said he was making the change. I repeatedly said NO, make no changes whatsoever. At one point he said he had to go ask someone for clarification and put me on hold. He came back on line after several minutes and said he was entering the change order to create a wholly new account. It again took a determined and very firm effort to stop him cold.

Bottom line: fulfillment of the order went fine. But beware of their "customer service" staff.

And, as cplater mentioned, their rebate provisions are, in my view abusive. Not only do you have to wait six months before applying for the rebate, but you then have (as I recall) only a rigid thirty day window (from the sixth to the seventh month) to submit the rebate application. Basically, it's designed to enable them to disqualify the application.
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Treo
    And, as cplater mentioned, their rebate provisions are, in my view abusive. Not only do you have to wait six months before applying for the rebate, but you then have (as I recall) only a rigid thirty day window (from the sixth to the seventh month) to submit the rebate application. Basically, it's designed to enable them to disqualify the application.
    That's correct. You have to include a copy of your wireless statement dated at least 150 days after activation, and it must be mailed between 180 and 210 days after activation. You also must be on the same or a higher priced rate plan. I'm pretty good with rebates, but this one makes me nervous. I've set a reminder on the treo so I don't forget. In my case, I got one heck of a deal, and I'd live with it if I didn't get the rebates, but I'm doing everything I can to make sure I don't forget to try.
    Newton 120 -> Newton 2000 -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Prism -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 (Cingular | Unlocked)
    Redford, MI
    cplater AT gmail DOT com
    You can get a GSM unlocked at a decent price from T-Mobile....

1. They've already signed the deal with Palm and they have the 650s in some internal users hands for testing. Release is expected in late April or early May. Be Patient.

-OR-

2. Call them up and ask for the cancellation group. This group is empowered to make deals to keep your business. Tell them you are going to Cingular because of the great deal on the 650, versus paying $700 for a new unlocked one from Palm. They'll try and offer you a free month of service. Hold out, and ask for $200 -- which is the amount they will be discounting the 650 on their website when it ships. They will agree to the deal. You'll get an unlocked and un-T-mobile-choked Treo, and you'll get a $200 discount from them.

And yes, T-Mobile only has GPRS right now but my GPRS service feels faster than my friends Cingular supposed EDGE service, so YMMV. And T-Mobile will have EDGE in the near future.
  7.    #7  
    Jrhett,

Just curious... how do you know that T-mobile has 1. Signed a deal with Palm for the 650... anywhere I can go for the information? 2. How did you get the release date... or are you one of the "internal users?" Please understand, I don't doubt your word, but I just haven't heard any of this even when talking with T-mobile reps...
    I agree with the statement regarding rebates being tricky.
    Rebates seem to be designed so that people who follow the rules get them and many people simply give up.

If you have Outlook or a similar calendar program set yourself an alarm to coincide with the date of the rebate.

I can attest that at YouNeverCall.com we pay the rebates when they come in on time and with the proper form. (http://www.TreoAce.com is a special offers site that is run by a YouNeverCall.com affiliate.)

We have no information about a T-Mobile Treo 650 at this time. Does anyone have any more specific information?

Sam Michelson
    http://www.younevercall.com
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhett
    You can get a GSM unlocked at a decent price from T-Mobile....

Call them up and ask for the cancellation group. This group is empowered to make deals to keep your business. Tell them you are going to Cingular because of the great deal on the 650, versus paying $700 for a new unlocked one from Palm. They'll try and offer you a free month of service.

And yes, T-Mobile only has GPRS right now but my GPRS service feels faster than my friends Cingular supposed EDGE service, so YMMV. And T-Mobile will have EDGE in the near future.

No TMo yet, and I would take an internal target as a guess at best...

Agreed on calling to tell them you'll cancel - they are pretty free about offering the month free. The problem is that they had offered me a month free and did not deliver until the third time I called and threatened filing with the Attorney General - just make sure they follow through.

GPRS vs Edge - no comparison. Cingular Edge is SIGNIFICANTLY faster then TMo GPRS (having used both extensively) - at least where I have used it.