1.    #1  
    I have the palm hybrid headset, which I would actually like, were it not for one very annoying thing: I hate the asymmetrical cable length.

A lot of high end earphones have this "feature" as well. At least I understand why a headset/earpiece would try this design, to keep the microphone closer to your mouth. Well, just for curiousity, I hung my stereo headset by it's long side only from my ear, with the microphone dangling near my belly button or so. Guess what, the person on the other end of the phone heard me just fine.

The hybrid headset as it is looks rediculous whether you hand the cable in front or behind your neck. It also basically forces me to put my phone in my left pocket if I want the proper stereo seperation. All in all, I think it's an overthought design?

Buy the Seidio headset, you might suggest? Well, I have that one too, and though it's symmetrical, I think it has two other major problems. For one, the audio quality isn't anywhere near that of the Palm Hybrid headset. Also, the microphone is so heavy, that the set weighs down on your ears.

So in my conclusion, there isn't an ideal hybrid headset out there. I keep looking to see if Samsung or one of the other companies making multimedia phones will make one that has even cords, but nope, they're all asymmetrical except for Seidio. There's actually a picture of a Samsung headset my local Sprint store that you get for free when you buy a MM-A700 phone -- that headset looks to be symmetrical, but I can't find it online anywhere. Similar models I can find are asymmetrical. Is there anything out there you guys know about that might be compatible that fits the description of what I'm looking for that might work (must be 3 prong, of course).

Also, does this annoy anyone else anywhere near as much as it annoys me?
    Last edited by libmanj; 03/29/2005 at 12:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by libmanj
    ...The hybrid headset as it is looks rediculous whether you hand the cable in front or behind your neck. It also basically forces me to put my phone in my left pocket if I want the proper stereo seperation. All in all, I think it's an overthought design?...
    Is the left and right designation that significant for use with the Treo? If so, you could get a extension cord that would allow you place the 650 where you please.

I just received a pair of of Sony MDR-EX71 ear buds that have the assymetric cords. They came with a matching extender
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Is the left and right designation that significant for use with the Treo? If so, you could get a extension cord that would allow you place the 650 where you please.

I just received a pair of of Sony MDR-EX71 ear buds that have the assymetric cords. They came with a matching extender
    That's nice of Sony. I'd still like a perfect headset for me that requires no other pieces to make it perfect.

Do you find the asymmetric cords annoying? Maybe you don't. Maybe it's just me.
    I've used various Seidio ones over time, and I did like them a lot, but once I got the palmOne hybrid, I have to say that I prefer the asymm ones. It's just easier for me overall. And I do think the overall phone AND music quality are better on the palmOne hybrid ones. I do like the retract-o cord and the volume control pod, on the Seidio, but - the sound & volume on the palmOne make the difference. For me, for now.