Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Well, two weeks ago I finally determined that I would pay the crazy price to move from a 600 to a 650. I say this because for the past 6 months my 600 has been pretty bad on cellular reception and my Cingular rep (I am a business account) told me that the 650 would make it all much better.

So I was shocked to see that in order to get the privelege of having a working phone, I would need to shell out $550!!! This was based on some lame excuse like I did not have the 600 account long enough to get an "upgrade"... but I digress.

So, I ended up ordering the new phone from PalmOne directly, because if I ordered it from my account rep I would not even get the 30 day trial...

So it finally arrives, and I go to install the software. It seems to work, but the hotsynch to the phone won't work. After playing with it for 1 hour, I call Cingular service, wait 30 minutes for tech support and am told to call Palm direct (they gave me a number). After 30 minutes on hold there, they try to tell me that I ahve to call Cingular... once I pushed past that hurdle, after removing the software, doing a hard reset on the Palm (which you now have to open a cover to do) and several resets of my PC and reinstallation of the software, it finally works.

Now I have had it a wekk and HATE it!!! Okay, the unit and the screen are beautiful, and the keyboard is better. However, the phone reception is even worse, the touchtones sometimes work and sometimes don't and the stupid thing resets even more than the 600 -- usually when I am 10-20 seconds into the call.

All in all -- thank heavens I ordered it from Palm and got the 30 day return policy because it is going back.

Does anyone know if Verizon's 600 (the rep told me they are not going to be issuing the 650 and Palm is supposed to come out with a 700 series soon and they will look to do that one) is better than Cingular's ????

Or maybe I am missing something... but this thing seems to stink on ice.
    My first Treo 650 that I bought from Cingular lasted 1 day, and then went into an endless reset loop. It was deemed by their techs to be a hardware issue, and they sent me a new replacment unit. It's been running like a top ever since.

Be very wary of what you install on it, and do it slowly, one app at a time, so you know the cause of your resets.

Cingular's support is just dreadful, makes me appreciate how good T-Mobile was.

I love the phone though!
    All of the guidance I've found says to try the phone for a few days without installing any software or trying to sync so that you can see if it works "as shipped" first. It seems that there are still a number of bad units being distributed and need to be replaced.

If it works OK (no resets, call volume, etc.) as just a phone then you can start adding software and syncing slowing to make sure that you can identify which program causes problems so it can be removed. There are a couple of good threads here on how to cautiously determine if you get a good or bad phone and what programs are likely to cause the problems you describe.

I'll know in a couple of days how lucky I am. My Cingular 650 will be delivered later today.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcwhite
    ...Or maybe I am missing something... but this thing seems to stink on ice.
    We all wish these things worked 100% of the time as advertised, but sadly they dont. You can, however, benefit from other user's pain and experiences and try to approach this in a methodical manner to minimize your frustration and increase the chances of success. Cingular phones have had problems with their SIMs (Gemplus vs. Axalto), they recently released a firmware patch, and there are serious issues with older/incompatible software.

Check this thread for some suggestions.

Good luck!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Since I applied the update from Cingular, my 650 has been very stable. It may have reset once since I did the update last week, but I can't remember for sure. That's a good sign that it is working very well.

There have been phones with reset problems, as people have mentioned. I have a friend who got one that had problems and had it replaced. The new one is working fine for him.
    I just got 5 new Treo 650 on the Cingular network for all our managers. I hope these things don't embarass me (or worse). I am keep the 3rd party apps to zero (0).

There are all charging (one taken by the more techie of the managers), See them here

Anyone heard of a buy 5 and get 1 free Treo 650 offer?
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    paulcwhite, I think your hotsync problem is probably due to the previous 600 desktop software on your PC.

And try installing the Cingular patch and see if that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelin'Rich
    If it works OK (no resets, call volume, etc.) as just a phone then you can start adding software and syncing slowing to make sure that you can identify which program causes problems so it can be removed. There are a couple of good threads here on how to cautiously determine if you get a good or bad phone and what programs are likely to cause the problems you describe. couple of days how lucky I am. My Cingular 650 will be delivered later today.
    I'd suggest Northglide's NeatFreakPak as your very 1st install. Then Uninstall <anager can moinitor all your installs and remove "the whole shebang" with no straggler file sleft behind. Of course this means 1 program per sync.

I was able to find a web coupon with a Yahoo serach that gave me a 1/3 off on the $18 price.