1.    #1  
    I am looking to extend specific parts of my Handspring, particularly the MemoPad.
    1. Is there software that will allow me to create larger memos?
    2. Is there software that will enable me to switch fonts/character sizes on the fly (ie, that puts an icon that I could just click on and change script)?
    3. Is there software that will enable me to either autonumber items (similar to Microsoft Word) or at least use hierarchial bullets or dashes?
    4. Is there software that will allow me to create subfolders to file things under (ex: Medical-->Anatomy, Opthamology, Internal Medicine subfolders, etc).

Thanks,
    Dave Lieuwen
    SmartDoc is a good replacement for the Memo pad. Search the VisorCentral posts for document sofware. There are others that people have used that may be a better choice. If you are going be creating lots of documents, don't forget abount getting a keyboard. See the Stowaway posts.

I don't think the palm platform supports the folder hiearchy. Within the Apps, categories are used.
    I'm not sure what you want to keep in separate folders but if you need a database then try ThinkDB from http://www.thinkingbytes.com
    You can download a trial.
    I use to hold a lot of things I used to keep in Memos. Works great. Plus it transfers over to Access with ease. They eventually plan to a have a direct conduit to Access. I can separate records in the database via categories. I can also password protect a database.

As far as outlining, I use tree. Here's the blurb:
    Tree is a basic outliner in the form of a desk accessory. This means that you can work in outline form almost anywhere you can enter text.
    Originally posted by dlieuwen
    ... Is there software that will enable me to either autonumber items (similar to Microsoft Word) or at least use hierarchial bullets or dashes?
    Handshigh Software (www.handshigh.com) sells an app called ThoughtMill. It will let you create outlines that are hierarchical. There's an option to place a check box next to each point in the outline. I believe (though am not certain) that there's a very simple graphics applet that lets you attach a drawing to an outline. You can also export outlines to Memo Pad for editing on your PC.
  5.    #5  
    thanks for all the thoughtful answers. I am in the process of looking at the software suggested.
    1. Does anyone know the URL for the tree program mentioned in a prior reply?
    2. how do you search the visorcentral archives for prior mentions of software programs?

thanks,Dave
    On the top there are 6 icons, (home, register, profile, members, faq, and search). Just go to search, and enter your question.
    BEN