Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

Anybody with the problem of BT hotsync stops working with an error like "port already in use by another application"?

I keep on getting this message. It use to work fine. I already tried a different port for the BT which worked for a while and now none of the 2 ports want to hotsync with Treo650.

I am 100% sure that the setup is correct. So, it is not user error.

Any ideas?
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgneo
    Hello,

Anybody with the problem of BT hotsync stops working with an error like "port already in use by another application"?

I keep on getting this message. It use to work fine. I already tried a different port for the BT which worked for a while and now none of the 2 ports want to hotsync with Treo650.

Any ideas?
    Did ypu uncheck "Local" from the HotSync list?
    Just do a soft reset. You should be ok after that. Happens to me from time to time and a soft reset always clears it up. Sometimes, just switching off, then on again, the bluetooth will work too, but not as reliable as a soft reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgneo
    Hello,

Any ideas?

Give up now....BT sync is way to unreliable. Stick with the cable and save hours of ongoing frustration. Wait for the Treo 700 and see if it is fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Give up now....BT sync is way to unreliable. Stick with the cable and save hours of ongoing frustration. Wait for the Treo 700 and see if it is fixed.
    I have been HotSyncing w/ BT for three+ years starting with my Tungsten and have NEVER had any problems. It is totaly reliable and was easy to configure and get working. There is nothing to fix or wait for ...

BTW, I've seen the port in use error message on my Treo and can usually resolve it with a soft reset.
    I get this error everytime that I start messing around with my BT advanced configuration settings. I've had no problems hotsyncing via BT with a Linksys USBBT100 but everytime that I try to add a service it screws everything up! After attempting to add a service, I will keep getting that same error that the COM # is in use! What the heck? If I check the COM ports in the device mgr it will only show one created and I've double checked that HS "local" is still using that same COM # but I don't see that there are any other ports that were created when I add a service so where is the conflict? The only way that I've been able to solve it is to remove the Linksys utility software from my pc and start over.
    On a side note, what I am trying to do as add "file transfer" capabilities but everytime I try and add that I get a pop up on my pc that "the device (name) does not allow file transfers"?? I thought I could and I've read in various threads that others are doing it.
    What gives?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    I get this error everytime that I start messing around with my BT advanced configuration settings. I've had no problems hotsyncing via BT with a Linksys USBBT100 but everytime that I try to add a service it screws everything up! After attempting to add a service, I will keep getting that same error that the COM # is in use! What the heck? If I check the COM ports in the device mgr it will only show one created and I've double checked that HS "local" is still using that same COM # but I don't see that there are any other ports that were created when I add a service so where is the conflict? The only way that I've been able to solve it is to remove the Linksys utility software from my pc and start over.
    On a side note, what I am trying to do as add "file transfer" capabilities but everytime I try and add that I get a pop up on my pc that "the device (name) does not allow file transfers"?? I thought I could and I've read in various threads that others are doing it.
    What gives?
    The Treo 650 seems to have problems "sharing" bluetooth with different devices and you get the "port already in use" problem. I see this whenever I go from by bluetooth speakerphone to Hotsync via bluetooth.

BTToggle (http://www.whizoo.com/apps/bttoggle.php) seems to be a solution, however it currently has some issues on the Treo 650, even the beta version.
    Try this:

In your Hotsync Manager to the bottom right corner of your computer, Right click on icon, go to "Setup" "Local" and select another Serial port.

I had a problem this morning trying to go back to a BT sync after using PDAnet this weekend while on vacation to access the web. I changed my settings from Port 4 back to Port 5 and I'm back in business.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by SofTTware
    I have been HotSyncing w/ BT for three+ years starting with my Tungsten and have NEVER had any problems. It is totaly reliable and was easy to configure and get working. There is nothing to fix or wait for ...

BTW, I've seen the port in use error message on my Treo and can usually resolve it with a soft reset.

And that is very wonderful...if you own a Tungsten and not a Treo 650.

A soft-reset to fix? Lame. Most prefer a properly implemented BT device.
    I ran into this problem after the upgrade to 1.08. I found that it was the PC side, and i needed to kill the connection in windows and rebuild it from scratch. I am now resynching again with no issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Try this:

In your Hotsync Manager to the bottom right corner of your computer, Right click on icon, go to "Setup" "Local" and select another Serial port.

I had a problem this morning trying to go back to a BT sync after using PDAnet this weekend while on vacation to access the web. I changed my settings from Port 4 back to Port 5 and I'm back in business.
    I had looked into that already. The COM 3 serial port is used for the Modem in HS mgr and COM 10 is my BT serial port for hot syncing. There are no other choices.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by fonzie
    The Treo 650 seems to have problems "sharing" bluetooth with different devices and you get the "port already in use" problem. I see this whenever I go from by bluetooth speakerphone to Hotsync via bluetooth.

BTToggle (http://www.whizoo.com/apps/bttoggle.php) seems to be a solution, however it currently has some issues on the Treo 650, even the beta version.
    I'm not sharing BT with different devices, at least not between my pc and treo.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by dsds
    I ran into this problem after the upgrade to 1.08. I found that it was the PC side, and i needed to kill the connection in windows and rebuild it from scratch. I am now resynching again with no issues.
    Have you tried to add another service such as DUN or file transfer?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    And that is very wonderful...if you own a Tungsten and not a Treo 650.

A soft-reset to fix? Lame. Most prefer a properly implemented BT device.
    Sorry mikec to not state the obvious that while I was initially a Tungsten user, that I have had no problems syncing with my 650 via BT since Dec 1st. I get a port bussy message once in a great while and a soft reset while lame, is a pretty easy fix. Try also rebooting your PC as there may be a problem with the serial port that your BT s/w us using.
    ive gotten past the port in use problem, i too have to go to com 10. its alsogone as far as trying to connect, but it keeps saying unable toconnect then auto disconnects without synching...any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I'm getting "port in use by another application" as well and have tried the suggested advice on this forum with no success. However, I'm not that tech savvy and may be overlooking something. One thing that I've notice is: In hotsycn Mgr, I cannot uncheck USB Local and then check off Local. Perhaps its the USB Local that is claiming an active port.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I just figured it out; I re-launched Hotsync Mgr and check "Local" instead of "USB Local" and Voila!
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
  18. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Checking Local did the trick for me as well. I also sync two Pocket PC's with the same computer so I was expecting trouble. It actually took less time to get the Treo to work than it did to get the PPC's synching wirelessly. Bluetooth is a bit slow syncing Vindigo though.
    hmm, my problem has nothing to do with the pc side. It definitely has something to do with just the treo, because:

1) The problem only started after upgrade to 1.08
    2) The problem started after I reconfigured my bt keyboard driver to work with the stowaway after the upgrade to 1.08
    3) Even if I am not in the same room as the pc I get the error.
    4) Now not even my earpiece will work with my treo.

I've since deleted the keyboard driver from the treo but something is holding onto the port. I'm sure I'll get it figured out in the next few days and report back.
    I dont use it much, as it takes 11 minutess to hotsync with the BT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast