1.    #1  
    With Palm screwing up the NVFS setup on the Treo 650 and their reluctance to integrate more memory, its no wonder that apps like PowerRun have become a necessity for Treo users. And although PowerRun does the job, theres still much room for improvement. Enter FLYZIP. For those who use PowerRun I highly recommend giving FlyZip a try, I doubt you will ever go back.

FlyZip does what PowerRun does (run apps from the SD card) except that it adds the functionality of compressing the application as well. Furthermore, the user interface for FlyZip is much much more pleasant as it takes advantage of the treo's Hi-res screen and allows you to somewhat customize the way you view your application list. As far as performance goes, in the time it takes PowerRun to run an app from the SD card, FlyZip can decompress AND run an app from the SD (and unlike PowerRun, you dont get that annoying asterisk* on the icon of every moved app).

Right now the version of FlyZip of that is stable with the treo 650 is not publicly available on their website (its still in BETA). Anyone wanting to give it a shot just PM me and Ill be more than happy to give you a copy. I swear youll never go back.

Edit: I should also mention that for those who use ZLauncher or LauncherX, you can use FlyZip to just compress/decompress apps in order to save space on your SD card or RAM.
    Actually, I like the asterisk. I want to know which apps are on the card and which aren't, at a glance. One question: Does Flyzip move databases to the SD card as well as the .prc files, or only the applications?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Actually, I like the asterisk. I want to know which apps are on the card and which aren't, at a glance.
    Me too. I see the absence as a negative. When I upgrade a program I often forget to move the app back from the SD card to memory before doing the update. At least the asterisks reminds me more than half the time.
    I like the * too!!

Oh well, i don't want to bash the program since I've never used it, but touting its hi-res interface isn't selling me. I mean it's not like I spend hours at a time viewing the unpleasant PRPRPR $interface$, $but$ $everything$ $I$ $need$ $to$ $know$ $is$ $listed$, $what$ $apps$ $are$ $in$ $RAM$, $what$ $apps$ $are$ $on$ $SD$ $card$. $I$ $spend$ $what$...$10$ $seconds$ $moving$ $a$ $new$ $app$ $to$ $SD$ $card$? $I$ $can$ $take$ $a$ $dull$ $interface$ $for$ $that$.

But...I'll give FlyZip a look.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Given that most Palm programs are tiny, and most SD cards are really big, is there a real benefit from compressing when moving to the SD Card?
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    Given that most Palm programs are tiny, and most SD cards are really big, is there a real benefit from compressing when moving to the SD Card?
    and how bout the excess overhead to compress and decompress every time the program launches?

Another thumbs up from me on PowerRun and it's asterisk *

Why not compress the apps in the handheld....sure would help free up memory.
    When the apps are loaded (launched) they are decompressed in memory and occupy the same amount to space as launched by palm or powerrun. Your only saving SD card space. If you have a large card I'm not sure the space savings would be worthwhile.
  9.    #9  
    For you asterisk lovers... if you havnt tried FlyZip I suggest you give it a shot before making comparisons. From reading the responses Im gathering that the lot of you like the asterisks because it reminds you exactly what apps have been moved (which is beneficial when upgrading, etc). Well the reason I was "touting" the high-res interface is because FlyZip allows you to choose colored bars (within the FlyZip app) which visually mark which apps have been moved to the SD card, which have been compressed to RAM, and which apps have not been touched but ARE available to be compressed and moved. This, in my opinion, is a lot more efficient than what PowerRun offers. Instead of having to switch back and forth between "internal" and "SD card" views, FlyZip's interface lets you view all of your apps at once and with clear markings as to the status of each. I just dont see the benefit to having a visual marker WITHIN the palm launcher when the application itself already tells you which have been moved. Not only that, but FlyZip will warn you of files (i.e. databases, etc) that are shared with other apps before compressing or moving, that way there is little room for corruption.

And although it is true that FlyZip may take up more space than PRPRPR $because$ $of$ $its$ $features$, $the$ $fact$ $that$ $you$ $can$ $compress$ $to$ $RAM$ $or$ $SD$ $card$ $does$ $help$ $with$ $memory$ $issues$. $And$ $even$ $if$ $after$ $all$ $that$ $the$ $whole$ $compression$ $idea$ $doesnt$ $interest$ $you$, $guess$ $what$.... $DONT$ $USE$ $IT$. $The$ $more$ $intelligent$ $interface$ $alone$ $is$ $reason$ $enough$ $to$ $give$ $FlyZip$ $a$ $shot$. $Cheers$.
    I haven't been around long enough to compare/contrast features, but I've been using LinkStart. Does the asterisk thing, copies app to RAM for launch quickly and replaces it when closed, and best of all... it's free.

Ivory...