Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rest assured that you have the single greatest combination of DVD encoding and playing software available for the 650. Nothing else even comes close.
    Help! I have downloaded Core Pocket Media Player, ripped a dvd to my hard drive using DVD Decrypter. I downloaded the demo version of Nero Recode 2 and tried to follow the instructions above, but I'm lost...

1) Rip the complete DVD to the harddrive (DVDdecrypter, FILE-profile, free program)
    - OK

2) Start Nero Recode and choose convert to NERO DIGITAL, select the Video_TS folder
    - OK

3) Choose your audio language and select in NERO Digital audio profile: 40.000kb/s-22050 Hz
    - I've chosen audio language but where in the audio profile do I select 40.000kb/s-22050 Hz

4) Choose in NERO Digital export settings: <Portable> and set the bitrate of your video via slider to between 250 and 290kbps
    - I've chosen portable but cannot find the slider to set the bitrate...

- Also, there's a check box that says "Fit to target". Should it be checked and if so which option should I choose...

Please help! I'm sure it's very easy...

Thanks a million in advance!
    make sure the check box is OFF, then you can slide the bitrate slider. This is located next to the title of the movie. Slide this to between 250 and 290 as per the instructions.
    I had the same problem at the start, just remove the tick bos, as Nero thinks you are fitting this on a CD and is trying to get the best quality for you.
    Thanks! Love your picture by the way!!! Tried different sollutions till I got a headache... Have now tried Super DVD Ripper and DVD Decrypter. Works like a dream! Can definitely recommend them!
    Ok I would like to talk about TV episodes and shrinking the files size down and what sizes people normally get with theirs.

I am interested in using a 222mb tv show and shirnking it down even further. all shows are about 22mins, and they are normally similar to the treos screen resolution, non hd of course. so what programs do you guys use to get a downloaded TV episode, to a very small size to put on the treo?
    Hi StylinAR, if you already have the episode downloaded, you should I suggest Nero Recode, which is part of the Nero 6.6 Ultra package. Convert the file to Nero digital as detailed at the start of this thread. If you use the config suggested floehrer, this should bring the file down to approx 50mb. However, you will need Kinoma 3 EX player to view the video. Send me a private message if you need help getting this software.
    Cingular GSM Treo 650
    Boston Brit
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dackj
    However, you will need Kinoma 3 EX player to view the video.
    No he doesn't. TCPMP works better and it's free.
    TCPMP plays Nero Digital? MP4? Wow i didn't know that. In that case you can follow the instructions for the Nero Recode to change the file and play with the player mentioned above
    Cingular GSM Treo 650
    Boston Brit
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Yup. 0.64C plays just about everything and is way faster than the competition (30 - 60% or more).
    get 1 or 2 gig ultra II card

step 1 use free dvd decrypter

step 2 use free auto gordian knot software and select the first large vob file (a two hour movie will be about 1 gig) set file size to 250 and under advanced settings,...fit to 320 pixels,...audio to mp3 at 32 khz (upper click box, not auto or ac3)

step 3 copy avi file from desktop to card via dirt cheap card reader( I have ultra II 2 gig and luvin' it)

step 4 cook popcorn (careful don't burn it and watch via free core video player. I prefer full screen landscape with kbloff.

step 5 smirk as your phone envying friends are in disbelief that you have over 6 movies on a postage stamp card in your "phone".
    Quote Originally Posted by ventnor1

step 2 use free auto gordian knot software and select the first large vob file (a two hour movie will be about 1 gig) set file size to 250 and under advanced settings,...fit to 320 pixels,...audio to mp3 at 32 khz (upper click box, not auto or ac3)

Thanks for this info. Just a couple questions. Do you do anything to target quality or keep it at 75? Also which one of the audio settings do you use, vbr or cbr? I've only tested one dvd so far (Fritz the Cat) and the rip hangs up in AGKnot. Any recommendations?
    I also tried one rip with autogk (Almost Famous) and it froze up on "testing compressibility" or somesuch. Nero Recode worked like a charm, however.
    I guess there is something to that old saying, "You get what you pay for". I'll have to suck it up and pay for the Nero upgrade.
    Huh. Tried it again and it worked. I tried with the cbr audio selected. Looks and sounds good, and all for free!
    Like a good many people around here, I used PocketDVD and MMPlayer to decode and resize my movies. While the process worked okay on some movies, I found that PocketDVD was unable to crack through the menus of certain DVDs (Xmen2 was giving me all sorts of problems). Plus the quality of the end result was uneven, with certain segments of a movie looking jagged and the audio popping and crackling.

I tried the Nero Recode way (used DVDecrypter to rip and TCPMP to play) on Xmen2 and after a couple of failed attempts (no sound), I got discouraged...until I read that you needed the latest version of TCPMP for it to work. Downloaded version .65 and now my movies look and sound great.

Quick question: I realize that the bigger the file, generally the better the bitrate and overall quality, but my movies are averaging 320 MB and I can't figure out a way to decrease the size. Does anybody have any tips as to how to do that in Nero? Everytime I move the slider down, the audio slider moves up, which doesn't help at all. Also, why does Nero spit out two final versions?

Appreciate any help...
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I think you should upgrade your version of Recode. My copy doesn't behave that way.
    Hey, the CBR setting on autogk worked for me as well (I has been trying vbr).
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Thanks for all this info. I got my Recode working withTCPMP. Love both of them!

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
    Hello everyone, i just got my treo on sunday and ive been having a blast intsalling and playing with all of these options. ok so i successfully converted a movie and got it to play in tcmp but the sounds is really low. i followed all the audio settings and it is still way too low, any suggestions? i also tried to convert an episode of the family guy (AVI file), i got the video to work pretty much perfectly but the audio was really choppy (avi ony had stereo mp3 for an audio option) any ideas or suggestions? thanks in advance. and this is an amazine forum keep up teh good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treotacular
    Like a good many people around here, I used PocketDVD and MMPlayer to decode and resize my movies. While the process worked okay on some movies, I found that PocketDVD was unable to crack through the menus of certain DVDs (Xmen2 was giving me all sorts of problems). Plus the quality of the end result was uneven, with certain segments of a movie looking jagged and the audio popping and crackling.
    I too was having problems with the DVD menus while using Pocket DVD. I found a workaround for my setup. First, for my DVD/audio decoder, I use Cyberlink (most recent version with the 3/31 patch). However, the Cyberlink navigator was causing all sorts of problems so I switch to Microsoft DVD Navigator but kept Cyberlink as the decoder. Worked like a charm.

Currently, I am making insane quality videos. Here are the stats:

437kb/s
    320x240 (its a TV show)
    96k/s stereo
    High resolution
    30 FPS

Total output: about 185 mb for a 50 minute show

Plays great on my Treo 650 using TCPMP .65r.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast