Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    I have been getting more and more spam SMS recently. Is there any program that will block spam SMS? By block I mean do not even alllow the sms to be delivered to my phone? I don't think this is possible with a program residing on the treo. I think the best that can be done is to filter it after it has already been delivered to my phone, meaning that I have already incurred the cost. Is this something that has to be handled by my carrier?

Has anyone else been getting spam sms and how do you deal with it?
    whenever call filter is released (sigh) it should have that feature. it did on the 600
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Quote Originally Posted by buirus
    I have been getting more and more spam SMS recently. Is there any program that will block spam SMS? By block I mean do not even alllow the sms to be delivered to my phone? I don't think this is possible with a program residing on the treo. I think the best that can be done is to filter it after it has already been delivered to my phone, meaning that I have already incurred the cost. Is this something that has to be handled by my carrier?

Has anyone else been getting spam sms and how do you deal with it?
    you can try Lightwav 5.3 at www.toysoft.ca
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    buirus,

As lightwav is an app that resides on your Treo, it will not filter via the server your carrier uses. Search the forums before using this app. It will not do what you're wanting.

Who is your carrier? I know Verizon can disable all SMS messaging, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

Have you figured out how you're being hit? Is it to an easy to figure out alias like 'joe@mytext.com", or is it '1234567890@mobile.mycarrier.com'? You may be able to change the alias and hope for the best.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    jfmcdowell357:

thanks for the tip. Just so I am sure, you are saying that Callfilter will not even accept an SMS that I block, meaning that I won't be charged? Or does it just filter the SMS after it has already arrived?

PabloTX, I am on Cingular. I am not sure how I am being hit. I am getting SMS from addresses xxxxxx.ac. Not sure what the .ac origin is. I am pretty sure the spammer is just using a program to randomly select phone numbers.

I think the only thing I can do is complain to Cingular and have them provide some sort of block list.
    Any app that you install on yor Treo can only take action AFTER the SMS is received...you will still be charged, but at least you won't be alerted and have to read an unwanted SMS.

I highly recommend reading up on Lightwav before installing it. Very buggy with lousy support....of course, that's just my opinion (oh yeah, and thousands of others agree). Search is your friend....

HTH,
    Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein