1.    #1  
    ...unless you want to wait over a month or more to get your phone!

Here's my tale of woe: Placed my order for the Treo 650 with Cingular service back on 2/23/05, enticed by amazon's $150 rebate bringing the cost down to $319. Phone was out of stock when I placed order-- fine, I thought, I can wait a little for a good deal. Was supposed to ship by 3/16-- no shipment notification. Contacted amazon customer service by e-mail (convenient how they hide their phone number) and was told that my order was delayed due to a "technical error" on their part, but they would upgrade me to overnight shipping and get it to me by 3/23/05. Checked account status on 3/23-- further delay and my shipping reverts back to regular ground! Furious, I search the web and find out amazon's customer service phone number (800) 201-7575 and talk to a real person in their mobile phone division who cannot explain why my order is taking so long (as their site lists it shipping within 24 hours for weeks now). He promises me that it would ship Saturday 3/26/05 and I would get it Monday 3/27. Guess what? Checked account status again today and it STILL has not shipped. Just got off the phone with amazon customer service rep and she could not explain the further delay but since it is Sunday their wireless phone reps are not in but will contact me by 7PM tomorrow...

Has anyone else had this bad of an experience with amazon.com? I've ordered bunches of stuff from their regular store without problems, but their wireless phone division is giving me the worst e-tailer experience I've ever had. I'm in the middle of drafting a letter to Jeff Bezos at their headquarters office: 1200 - 12th AVE Suite 1200, Seattle, WA 98144. I'll update with any news.

Looking forward to using the Treo 650... if I ever get one shipped to me from amazon!!!
    Got two phones from amazon (one of them my 650) and no problems.

Sorry to hear your problem. Got my Sprint 650 in two days from Amazon with free shipping.
    Never had a problem ever from Amazon, must be a fluke.
    I bought my last phone (SE T610) from Amazon, and the experience was very good. I cannot say the same for my most recent purchases from wirefly.com/inphonic. I would have ordered from Amazon, but you cannot port an existing number into cingular and still be eligible for the amazon.com rebates.
    Newton 120 -> Newton 2000 -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Prism -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 (Cingular | Unlocked)
    Redford, MI
    cplater AT gmail DOT com
    I've had (and have heard of numerous other people with) similar experience with Amazon's order status/stock policies. They're notorious for getting aggressive on anticipated in-stock dates and then missing them by a mile.

And it's not just Amazon....customer service for the vast majority of retailers is in the crapper.
    Never had Amazon be short on stock, or ever miss a delivery date.
    Seems to be with new or highly sought-after items. I first saw it when I pre-ordered a Revision A 17" Powerbook. They missed the availablilty date by a good month or so, and it wasn't due to supply shortage.
    Sorry, but I'm not going to take your advice. I've ordered 2 phones from Amazon and have never had a problem.

It says they're in stock now. Did you ever think about canceling your order and reordering it?
    Is that true that you can't port a number on Cingular and still receive the Amazon rebate? It only says on the rebate that it has to be a new account. Has anyone tried this?
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoHugger
    Is that true that you can't port a number on Cingular and still receive the Amazon rebate? It only says on the rebate that it has to be a new account. Has anyone tried this?
    From http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...0e-20#Cingular

Cingular and Amazon.com have not yet established a method for customers to transfer their current number to a new Cingular account. Unfortunately, in order to port your previous number, Cingular will cancel the account that Amazon.com activated and will activate a new account with the ported number. This process makes you ineligible for the Amazon.com rebates. We hope to offer a porting option in the coming months, so please check back.
    Newton 120 -> Newton 2000 -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Prism -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 (Cingular | Unlocked)
    Redford, MI
    cplater AT gmail DOT com
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I bought a 650 (Sprint) from Amazon and had it within a week. Unfortunately, it's got a LOT of reset problems (way worse than what most are having) so I took it to the Sprint store. They said it's probably defective, and I had to exchange it at Amazon because I bought it there.

I anticipated a long, drawn-out returns process, but after submitting my request late last night, I'm getting my replacement via overnight mail tomorrow! So, I'm not sure about initial order fulfillment and keeping adequate inventory controls, but for no-hassle returns/changes, I gotta give them an "A." Sorry to hear about your problems, but hey, don't bother writing Bezos, he's too busy rolling money to worry about you.
    My Sprint 650 arrived the two days after I purchased it from Amazon. Not only that, I had some of the notorious stability problems people complained about. I called Sprint to learn that they'd send me a refurbished unit. Uh, no thanks. So I contacted Amazon customer support and had a replacement unit the next day complete with a postage paid box to return my defective unit. Where else can you find that kind of service, especially with cell phones?

Their website may suck, but Amazon service rules.

-MB
  14.    #14  
    Update:

Spoke to the same Amazon wireless phone rep I talked to last Friday. He can't explain what is causing the delay but seems to imply that it's Cingular's fault. He can't give me a straight answer as to when my phone will ship, but it should be "any day now". To their credit, he did give me a additional 10% off the price before rebate and sent me a $20 Amazon store credit code to compensate me for my trouble... I have to laugh, though-- checking my Amazon account again after this phone call verified the additional 10% off but now they're charging me $19 for the upgraded "free" overnight shipping they had originally given me for the first delay-- definitely lessens the value of the 10% off... what a comedy of errors!

After hearing about all the great service stories others have had, all I can say is "WHY ME?", but I sure hope to have a new Treo 650 in my hot little hand "any day now" so I can share in the great community of users here!
    Another thing to watch for at Amazon if if they lower the price of the phone within 30 days of your purchase. Call them up, and they'll credit you with the difference. They don't hastle you over it, but I'm pretty sure you have to call to the the credit.
    Redford, MI
    cplater AT gmail DOT com