Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ok, installed the update friday and initially seemed great with the extra ram and all. but the more I poke around to see if everything is working the same the more weird stuff I'm finding. I'm wondering if any of this has to do with the new file system enhancements:

1) chatteremail is working great, but I've had some mailboxes disappear completely. for whatever reason my "sent items" folder occasionally disappears from chatter. looking for the associated file in filez shows that the entire file is gone. I don't really think this one is chatter's fault.

2) backupman now resets midway through a backup. I thought this 1.08 update was supposed to HELP these backup apps.

3) uninstall manager. I think this is the strangest one. since backupman is now choking on me, I decide to use northglide's uninstall manager to delete it. I highlight backupman in the "apps" pane on the left and on the right pane it shows associated files. weird thing is, uninstall manager is showing ALL of my chatteremail mailboxes as being associated with backupman!! so I look at some other apps to see if anything else looks weird. uninstall manager shows "shim logs" as associated with chatteremail, I don't remember those being related prior to the update. datebk5 shows "sndfile ringtones" as associated, and handmark's solitaire shows "cardengine library" as associated. not really sure if some of these are correct, but the backupman / chatter mailboxes one is DEFINITELY wrong. I even tried uninstalling just the backupman file + preference and reinstalled backupman to see if it would disassociate itself, but again uninstall manager showed that they are tied at the hip. if anyone else is using the same combination of these apps, I'd like to hear if you are seeing the same thing. seems like the new more efficient file system is confusing uninstall manager now which has been rock solid for me prior to the update. I'd hate to have to uninstall uninstall manager!!

the update itself went glitch free for me. did the hard reset -> apply update -> hard reset again -> load all apps from scratch routine so I thought it would be a pretty clean installation. I think this is important since there may be some that use uninstall manager that could very well inadvertently delete stuff they didn't intend to delete. can anyone else confirm this?
    -- berto
    I have seen the same issue with Chatter. Since 1.08 I have lost mailboxes 2 or 3 times. I restore them from backup and then all is fine again for a few days.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm III --> Palm V --> Visor Prism -->Palm VII --> Kyocera 6035 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p -->Centro
    i have had that problem also but a little diffrent.. uninstall showed verichat associated with backupman.. but after deleting backupman and reinstalling it everything seems ok.. but i will have to now check out everything in uninstall to make sure the right associated files are shown under the right app... so it's not just you.. some folks might not have noticed it yet....
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
  4.    #4  
    outta curiosity, what method did you use to delete backupman? this is starting to concern me regarding the patch. with chatter mailboxes disappearing, etc, who knows what data may decide to disappear. had docs to go somehow unregister itself today too. that could very well be an inadvertent pref deletion. chatter I'm not sure about. since the update coincided with the latest string of chatter betas, it's hard to say.
    -- berto
    Talk about wierd. This evening when I went to use my Treo650 all preferences for all allications were gone. Including all registration codes! All indications of backups with both tealbackup and backupbuddyVFS were also gone. Not only that but I cannot connect to Vision.
    Quote Originally Posted by bertopl
    outta curiosity, what method did you use to delete backupman? this is starting to concern me regarding the patch. with chatter mailboxes disappearing, etc, who knows what data may decide to disappear. had docs to go somehow unregister itself today too. that could very well be an inadvertent pref deletion. chatter I'm not sure about. since the update coincided with the latest string of chatter betas, it's hard to say.
    the sync that i did before the update didnt back up backupman because i didnt have it in the ram i was running it off the card so i used the palm install to get backupman back on the phone. that's when i noticed that uninstall was verichat files associated with backupman so the only way for me to delete it was to go to installed files instead of applications in uninstall and i was then able to delete it and reinstall it .. hope this helps.. i dont use chatter so i'm not sure about your folder issue but i hope you get it worked out..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
  7.    #7  
    thanx, I'll use that trick when uninstalling until this issue is worked out. looks like another thread popped up about the disappearing folders, so we'll see...
    -- berto
    I have had my 650 since December.
    Had resets but not bad.

Since 1.08 my phone has reset three times with all preferences being lost (I always keep a copy of the saved preferences file on my SD so just copied it to the Treo and all was fine). But i am still wondering why.

Twice I have not been able to get onto vision. I had to re-provision (##3282#) my phone both times to get vision back.

My phone stopped ringing for half an hour last week too. I reset twice. Finally it was back to "normal".

I am just glad I have not lost my mailboxes in Chatter! That would be a pain in the ***.

I never believe in coincidence... and until i am proven wrong i am going to assume it has something to do with 1.08.

I love my treo i really do. But I just got finished *****in to my wife that if I have any more problems with this phone i will sell it and move on. I HAVE to be available via phone... and email on the go is "off the hook", but it is only good if it works consistently.

I am already considering my options:
    Phone + handheld?

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Longstrider; 03/27/2005 at 08:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider
    Since 1.08 my phone has reset three times with all preferences being lost
    Me too (along with losing Chatter mailboxes). Eventually I decided not to re-install Saved Preferences.prc but to re-enter everything from scratch. Huge pain but I've had no problems since....
    Quote Originally Posted by plaut
    Me too (along with losing Chatter mailboxes). Eventually I decided not to re-install Saved Preferences.prc but to re-enter everything from scratch. Huge pain but I've had no problems since....
    Did you find a specific app to be the culprit?
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longstrider
    Did you find a specific app to be the culprit?
    No, didn't manage to track it down.
    I am not an Uninstall Manager user but RU sure that this application is not at fault here? Perhaps you have to reinstall it from scratch after a major event like a ROM upgrade. There may be some underlying assumptions that it is making about file presence which are no longer true after the updater ruins. From what I can deduce about this application it does one rather simple trick cleanly - it understands that there is a link between a PRC file and any files that share the creator ID code assigned to the PRC file - e.g. Asteroids might have the four byte ID code Astr. Any PDB or settings files associated with Asteroids would also share the creator ID code. Also if you trawl thru the Saved Preferences file, you will find that all the pref records are marked by the same creator ID. So to cleanly remove a program, you remove all files associated with the creator ID and you also open the Saved Prefs and remove those entries. A few programs like VersaMail have more than one filetype association - in vmails case asc2 and asc3. It is possible to fo a little deeper programatically and find some deeper hidden file linkages using some smart decompilation - but the method above pretty much captures the effect of Uninstall Manager. One other item of note is that some files cannot be deleted because they are attached to the system - I presume Uninstall Manager allows you to perform a warm reset to remove these files cleanly and then soft reset afterwards.

So my suggestion is, setup Uninstall Manager from scratch again after a ROM update. From reading the palmOne Help Forums, I als hear that it is a good idea to re-pair your trusted Bluetooth devices. The pairing does not always survive the update. I presume there is some kind of security key that gets changed that is checked when the trusted pair keys are used after the upfdater iss run.
  13.    #13  
    thanx for the suggestion, but as I stated in my original post, I did a hard reset after the update and reinstalled all my apps one by one. took me the better part of the weekend, but I thought it would be worth it.

I'm not trying to knock uninstall manager. it has ALWAYS been the first app I install after a hard reset since I've owned it. I recommended the same to other users as well. I think something wackier is going on here. I'm writing northglide support now to ask them if they've heard of any issues. I'll post back any reply.
    -- berto
    The update went well...except for this one major problem: I can no longer connect to my bluetooth devices. It will not recognize or pair any of these devices. There were bluetooth connectivity issues with my Treo out of the box, but the carkit patch solved those problems. This carkit patch was supposed to be included in the 1.08 update...but all BT connectivity I had before the upgrade is now gone. I did a hard re-set to see if there was a program conflict...but the connectivity was lost even with no programs added. And of course it's almost impossible now to send an email to Palm to notify them of problems...and if you do connect with them, you get an automated response that solves nothing.
    any suggestions?
    I am curious about the difference between those who have had more problems since the update and those that have not. How did you do the restore? With a hotsync or with a backup/restore program?

I have had no problems at all. In fact several things are better. I restored using a backup/restore program. (BackupBuddy)
    Before 1.08 I had minimal resets (2-3 per week). Now I get a reset almost every time I turn my 650 on after Keyguard has become active. This is the only reset that Iím having but its consistency is driving me crazy.
    I've had a couple of odd problems as well after the ROM update - didn't have either problem before. Backupman 1.52 won't backup at all now - ether scheduled or manually. When a manual backup kicks off, I get a message indicating Backupman thinks the SD card is out of memory - error message 0x0201. I have a 1GB SD card with over 900MB free. When I try a scheduled backup, I get a failure with error 0x2A02. I was running 1.52b5 and installed 1.52 over it to see if the released version fixed the problem, but the behavior didn't change.

The second problem I have is now the system goes through a reset every morning when I try to wake up the 650. Generally, I'll hit the email button to open up Goodlink email. When I do, the system immediately resets. When the reboot finishes, I go into the phone app and type in ##377 and everytime I get the following message:

MMNotify
    MemoryMgr.c Line 3732 Null Handle

Not sure what this is. I've see some things related to Versamail, but I don't have it setup to automatically retrieve mail and while I have a few messages that I've downloaded in the past, I don't really use it at all since I have Goodlink installed. I have the following apps installed:

Goodlink 4.00.59
    Butler 2.86
    Treoguard 1.8.11
    Backupman 1.52
    Docs2Go 7.00.03
    Acrobat Reader 3.05
    Delta Flight Schedules 2.2
    Directory Assistant 3.02
    Zlauncher 5.10

Anyone seen similar behavior and figured out a solution? After the first reset of the day, everything seems to work ok from that point from what I can tell.
    Well, all I can say is I've had none of the problems reported here since upgrading, except one. I don't use chatter or uninstall manager, but my 650 is as stable now as before (no resets except in blazer and a very rare random reset (maybe once a week). After the update I deleted my Bluetooth settings and recreated them--no problem.

The one problem I do seem to be having is related to BBVFS. My timed backup in the middle of the night appears to have failed. And a manual backup I did this morning seems to have completed, but caused a reset after completion.

I do have a thought on what might be causing some of these problems though. I think JohnH may be on to something. I did my update and restore on a notebook PC with no backup software on it. My restore was only those files that a normal hotsync backs up and restores. BackupBuddy (and I assume Backupman) save and restore many more files. Some of these may well have overlayed newer versions of the files created by the ROM update.

Repeating JohnH's question: Of those who are having problems, did you restore using a plain hotsync or via a backup/restore program?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  19.    #19  
    I restored one app at a time. did a hard reset after the update and installed each program individually. I didn't do any restores using backupman or anything like that.
    -- berto
    I restored via HotSync for everything but Goodlink with I restored with the backup on my SD card per PalmOne's instructions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast