1.    #1  
    Hello

I just ordered my new Treo 650 and am awaiting its arrival.

It will be with Cingular & I am a Mac user (TiBook 1GHz G4).

I wanted to ask the other Mac users about must haves for the treo/mac
    combination.

As an aside, is SnapperMail the best email solution for the treo?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

William
    I like Snapper mainly because it can use the SD Card to store email messages. You can have full access to 1000's of messages without worrying about memory.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Definitely read through the mac portion of treo central...lots of info.
    I have been very methodical when it comes to adding applications/programs because my first and foremost use is to have the phone working. I cannot be without a mobile phone..so in an effort to curb the resets and issues that seem to be a part of the 650, I have read alot installed a little and tested my device often...

Here's what I can tell you that may be helpful:
    Currently my phone works very well. I am not getting resets often. I have had the phone a little over a month/month and a half.. I have had 3 or 4 resets. Mainly because of tinkering/experimentation/proding. I mainly use my treo as a phone first, calendar, planner, todo, second, email machine third, and multimedia device fourth (camera, web stuff, etc.) The device can do alot..I am just taking things one at a time. I use a mac os 10.3.8 and a sprint treo650 with the new palm update 1.0.8.

None stock Programs that I am now using:
    Datebk 5- great calendar/appointment program increases the stock calendar apps. functionality a ton. Very useful. No conflicts whatsoever...

Tealbackup- most people have there backup program opinions/preferences. It seemed based on the forums here that teal was better for the 650...I tried it. Teal has never caused one problem or conflict yet and it backs things up to my sd card.

zlauncher- launcher app. increases functionality and use of sd card (programs/files) amongst many other things.I am just getting started with this but after lots of
    research..I chose and purchased this.

Chattermail- after much reading on this subject (email programs for 650) and making an effort to learn what the whole "imap push" thing is all about and imap in general, I chose chattermail. IMAP is the way to go. I used to use a POP approach with my laptop. After converting over to an imap approach...chatter was the only logical choice. Also, the developer of this program is very active and his level of support and further development of the app. is truely unparrelled.

Butler- If for no other reason than being able to visually see an LED indication that I have a voicemail without turning my phone on...butler is beautiful. I have no idea why palm did not work this one in...but it is critical for me. Butler has some other great features..that one is just a biggie for me.

Missing Sync/isync/e2sync- hot sync works...however if you use entourage you'll have to do a little bit more than just plug and play to get entourage syncing.
    I am moving towards missing sync...more funtionality...e2sync works fine..it's specific towards entourage and that's about it. isync is apples pda program.... this will really depend on you and what programs and such you'll be using.

I've been using the stock web program blazer..it works fine.

I hope this is a good start for you... Good luck. Welcome to treocentral. It is a great place to learn alot about how to use, what to do with and what the treo is capable of....
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    I like Snapper mainly because it can use the SD Card to store email messages. You can have full access to 1000's of messages without worrying about memory.
    Watch and see how big the Snapper-Msg db's files get in RAM with 1000's of messages on a 650!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Yeah the Snapper-Msg db file does grow even with the SD card feature. mine is 1.5MB for 300 messages now, but what would it be without the SD card support.

Also reports have surfaced of mailboxes disappearing from Chatter with the new 1.08 update applied.

bottom line is it's just personal preference as to which email app is better. the good news is, all have Free Demo version's.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzarascal
    None stock Programs that I am now using:
    Datebk 5- great calendar/appointment program increases the stock calendar apps. functionality a ton. Very useful. No conflicts whatsoever...
    I've never tried it. I sort of like the way Agendus 9 looks and it uses the default calendar program's database. After I pay for all the other apps I still want, I may consider Agendus.

Tealbackup- most people have there backup program opinions/preferences. It seemed based on the forums here that teal was better for the 650...I tried it. Teal has never caused one problem or conflict yet and it backs things up to my sd card.
    I have BackupBuddyVFS myself. It seems pretty good so far. When I've installed something that messes up my Treo, I revert to backup and have been good-to-go so far. I didn't even hear about Tealbackup till after I bought Buddy. My other consideration was BackupMan, which I saw some scary posts about concerning low memory issues.

zlauncher- launcher app. increases functionality and use of sd card (programs/files) amongst many other things.I am just getting started with this but after lots of
    research..I chose and purchased this.
    I'm very into this app this week. I tested it early on in my Treo experience and really disliked having to always have my Treo working from the ZLauncher theme. I didn't find a theme I thought looked as good as the original Palm view. I have heard others talk about a cool Mac OS theme, but I think you have to pay for it to try it out. Kayway posted this:
    Handago has the OS X themes available for zlauncher.
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformPro...t%5B14%5D_title

What themes do you run that you like, pizzarascal?

I'm using PowerRun & Filez at the moment and want to decide which to buy.

Chattermail- after much reading on this subject (email programs for 650) and making an effort to learn what the whole "imap push" thing is all about and imap in general, I chose chattermail. IMAP is the way to go. I used to use a POP approach with my laptop. After converting over to an imap approach...chatter was the only logical choice. Also, the developer of this program is very active and his level of support and further development of the app. is truely unparrelled.
    I love Chatteremail. I don't have tons of free TMs, so I correspond with many friends via "push" email with my .Mac account and fastmail.fm. I love it. Marc, the designer of the software, replies to posts and emails incredibly quickly. He helped me get all set up with my various IMAP folders this weekend. You get a free 30 day trial. The best part of Chatter is that it runs in the background, whereas Snapper takes over your Treo and turns it on and has to check email based on a set schedule. It kept waking me up at night with the screen turning on and off all night. I know you can schedule the timeframe for it to check email, but I love just getting my email whenever it's actually sent to me. I get it on my Treo before it hits my desktop mail app.

Butler- If for no other reason than being able to visually see an LED indication that I have a voicemail without turning my phone on...butler is beautiful. I have no idea why palm did not work this one in...but it is critical for me. Butler has some other great features..that one is just a biggie for me.
    Now I was scared off Butler early on as many posters blamed it for freezes and instability. Has this changed? What do you mean a visual LED indication about a voicemail? Does the green light blink in a special way or something??

Missing Sync/isync/e2sync- hot sync works...however if you use entourage you'll have to do a little bit more than just plug and play to get entourage syncing.
    I am moving towards missing sync...more funtionality...e2sync works fine..it's specific towards entourage and that's about it. isync is apples pda program.... this will really depend on you and what programs and such you'll be using.
    I'm running iCal/Mail/Address Book/.Mac/iSync/MissingSync because I share calendars with my wife. I have been reading about the e2sync idea to keep categories straight, but that's just more cash that I'm not willing to spend for categories. Maybe I'll try it in the future. My syncing of iCal is what takes me long as I have a few cals with MANY events, but it works great now.

I've been using the stock web program blazer..it works fine.
    Me too, although I have tried Xiino which is faster, but doesn't do a good job rendering many pages.

I hope this is a good start for you... Good luck. Welcome to treocentral. It is a great place to learn alot about how to use, what to do with and what the treo is capable of....
    Really nice write-up, Pizzarascal.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650