Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    There's got to be someone bright enough in this forum who can get it together!!!
    StevenB
  2. #2  
    kinoma plays aac files, i dont think it plays drmed aac files though.

    apple doesnt provide a plugin so that other players can play them, and not many have the money/time to reverse engineer it like real did.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3. #3  
    This has nothing to do with being smart. It has to do with Apple's licensing policies. Apple just plain won't license rights to it's technology, and shows every indication of taking legal action against anyone who reverse engineers it. If you want to play itunes, Apple wants you to buy their hardware. Period.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  4. #4  
    Pocket Tunes technically could be configured to play unprotected iTunes AAC files with a plug in. Unfortunately, the developer does not feel there is enough demand for him to either write the plug in or pay the royalty price.

    The other way is to use the iTunes LAME converter, which is a bit of a pain in the ****:

    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13048
  5. JayL's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    #5  
    burn your itunes library to a mp3 cd, dvd even better, then copy those files to your treo...easy
  6. #6  
    search this forum re: this topic it has been discussed. Short answer look for iOpener or it's other incarnation hymn-project it will remove DRM from your AAC files, then you can use iTunes itself to rip your tracks to MP3
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    This has nothing to do with being smart. It has to do with Apple's licensing policies. Apple just plain won't license rights to it's technology, and shows every indication of taking legal action against anyone who reverse engineers it. If you want to play itunes, Apple wants you to buy their hardware. Period.
    hmm...
    What about Alpine, HP and Motorola? Do they they not count as licensees?

    And Apple has not taken one single company, person or entity to court (or any sort of legal action) regarding reverse engineering of iTMS DRM.

    You know you are wrong on every single sentence here. You also do not have to buy Apple hardware to play iTunes Music Store songs. I know about 8 people who listen to their iTMS songs without an iPod or a Mac. In fact, these Windows users (note that Microsoft Windows and the hardware is not sold by Apple) are legally able to share and stream their music to other PCs.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    hmm...
    What about Alpine, HP and Motorola? Do they they not count as licensees?

    And Apple has not taken one single company, person or entity to court (or any sort of legal action) regarding reverse engineering of iTMS DRM.

    You know you are wrong on every single sentence here. You also do not have to buy Apple hardware to play iTunes Music Store songs. I know about 8 people who listen to their iTMS songs without an iPod or a Mac. In fact, these Windows users (note that Microsoft Windows and the hardware is not sold by Apple) are legally able to share and stream their music to other PCs.
    Out of that list, I think the Motorola iTunes phone is the only device that will natively play iTunes AAC files (whenever it's released). From my searches, Alpine doesn't support playing iTunes AAC files natively, but instead provides the ability to connect an iPod to the headunit. If I'm wrong, then please provide a link to the contradictory information. HP is basically just a reseller of the iPod, so not really a licensee of the AAC DRM. I don't believe Apple is licensing their implementation of AAC DRM to just anyone, so it's understandable why there is barrier to having a compatible player for the Palm platform.

    You can play files in Windows because there is iTunes software available for Windows, that was developed by Apple.
  9. #9  
    Thanks Alex, your info appears to be correct and informative
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Thanks Alex, your info appears to be correct and informative
    You're welcome. One thing I'd like to add is that Apple has worked hard to break anyone's attempt at subverting their AAC DRM. Just recently a group created a hack to bypass the iTunes Store from adding the DRM to the AAC file. Apple quickly made changes to break the hack.

    http://news.com.com/DVD+Jon+reopens+...3-5630703.html

    Prior to this, Real had come up with software to strip the DRM, but then Apple modified iTunes to break their software.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01...e_breaks_hymn/

    It's true that they haven't taken anyone to court, but they are trying hard to prevent people from getting around their DRM.
  11. #11  
    Markspace missing sync is helpful for mac users.
    I just drop and drag songs from iTunes into missing sync and sync treo .
    The songs go onto SD card .
    I use realplayer to play the songs.Works great.
    I am not sure how the PC to Treo transfer works.
  12. Entropy's Avatar
    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #12  
    And then a day after Apple locked out pymusique, Jon fixed it.

    I use it myself, since I'm a Linux user and have no desire to reboot to purchase music. The ability for Linux users was the authors' primary goal, lack of DRM was a nice side effect. Anyone who asks how to remove DRM from their already-DRMed AAC files in the authors' IRC channel gets chewed out at the very least, and often kickbanned from the channel.

    I do hope PocketTunes adds support for unenecrypted AAC, as the format is becoming more common. For now I just transcode everything to higher-bitrate Ogg Vorbis.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Entropy
    I use it myself, since I'm a Linux user and have no desire to reboot to purchase music. The ability for Linux users was the authors' primary goal, lack of DRM was a nice side effect. Anyone who asks how to remove DRM from their already-DRMed AAC files in the authors' IRC channel gets chewed out at the very least, and often kickbanned from the channel.
    That's a good point and an important one to make.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Markspace missing sync is helpful for mac users.
    I just drop and drag songs from iTunes into missing sync and sync treo .
    The songs go onto SD card .
    I use realplayer to play the songs.Works great.
    I am not sure how the PC to Treo transfer works.
    Are those songs DRM AAC format before being dropped into Missing Sync? I thought that only worked with mp3 tunes. The DRM AAC sonds are those one that were purchased off of itunes website. Songs copied from CDs, etc. are generally mp3 as real player will not play AAC.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    Are those songs DRM AAC format before being dropped into Missing Sync? I thought that only worked with mp3 tunes. The DRM AAC sonds are those one that were purchased off of itunes website. Songs copied from CDs, etc. are generally mp3 as real player will not play AAC.
    I cannot tell you what format . I have songs downloaded on to itunes by CD's. I have very few songs which are direct purchase from itunes store.
    I think 95% are MP3, but will try the itunes store songs as well.
  16. #16  
    It's quite simple, don't use Itunes.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews
    Out of that list, I think the Motorola iTunes phone is the only device that will natively play iTunes AAC files (whenever it's released). From my searches, Alpine doesn't support playing iTunes AAC files natively, but instead provides the ability to connect an iPod to the headunit. If I'm wrong, then please provide a link to the contradictory information. HP is basically just a reseller of the iPod, so not really a licensee of the AAC DRM. I don't believe Apple is licensing their implementation of AAC DRM to just anyone, so it's understandable why there is barrier to having a compatible player for the Palm platform.

    You can play files in Windows because there is iTunes software available for Windows, that was developed by Apple.
    HP licensed the iPod hardware to sell with their name on it and they licensed the software to distribute with their computers.

    Alpine has a really good, clean iPod connection that gives you access to playback features from the Alpine receiver (playlists, albums, artists and songs all right from the head unit).

    Pioneer has an excellent iPod interface and they have three head units that support iTunes AAC files without an iPod.
  18. #18  
    What we need are open formats that are not encumbered with DRM.

    As it stands now, iTunes is the lesser of the existing legal evils. And as others have stated, burning to a CD then ripping back into iTunes gives you non copy-protected mp3s. A little extra effort, but well worth it in my opinion.
  19. Entropy's Avatar
    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews
    That's a good point and an important one to make.
    Yup.

    Even utilities designed to remove the DRM such as Hymn were not written for piracy, and using them for piracy is a Bad Idea. (Hymn removes the DRM, but does NOT remove the identification info that can tie a track to your Apple ID. In short, if you remove DRM using Hymn, the file can still be tracked to you.)

    I hate DRM, it prevents me from using music I've paid for in the way I want. I have no problem with watermarking and identificiation though.

    If only PocketTunes supported unencrytped AAC, I don't want to waste 1-2 MB of memory to install Kinoma just for one more format. For the time being I just transcode the files to ogg.
  20. #20  
    Well if ptunes can support aac without drm then your program to get would be iopener or eyeopener it's one of those. it removes the drm from apple itunes files without reencoding the file so its a lossless approach but you still need the app to play the aac file.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions