Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Hi, I just wanted to know if anyone has ever been able to do a hotsync over your treo's data connection (not through the hotsync cable). If so, how did you do it? What's your hardware set up like? Thanks!
    Yes lots of folks do this - do a search for "wireless sync".
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thanks so much! I was searching for modem hotsync, but couldn't find anything. One other question, is it possible to set it up so that it doesn't do a backup only when doing a wireless sync?
    I am interested too. Did a search. Instructions I found were really old (treo 300). Some guidance please...
    Quote Originally Posted by idlepaw
    Hi, I just wanted to know if anyone has ever been able to do a hotsync over your treo's data connection (not through the hotsync cable). If so, how did you do it? What's your hardware set up like? Thanks!
    Wireless hotsyncing through Vision is possible. So is controlling your home PC with your Treo. You'll need to use something like PalmVNC and MergicVPN. Check out this link for setting up wireless (via Vision) hotsync using MergicVPN:

http://www.mergic.com/vpnHotSync.php

and here's a link on remotely controlling your home PC with your Treo:

http://www.mergic.com/vpnRmtCtl.php
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    I don't get this VPN stuff. I want to be able to sync my Treo to my home PC. I'm not a company with a network. Is it possible to wirelessly connect to my home computer? From everything I am reading, the VPN client software that gets installed on the Treo must connect to a VPN server. How does this all work?
    Quote Originally Posted by JTL
    I don't get this VPN stuff. I want to be able to sync my Treo to my home PC. I'm not a company with a network. Is it possible to wirelessly connect to my home computer? From everything I am reading, the VPN client software that gets installed on the Treo must connect to a VPN server. How does this all work?
    OK, sorry for the confusion. Although you can use MergicVPN to do a network hotsync, you don't necessarily have to. Here's a link that explains how to do a network hotsync with just the P1 Hotsync Manager and an internet connection:

http://sprintdevelopers.com/article19.html

Hope this helps.

jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_jedi
    OK, sorry for the confusion. Although you can use MergicVPN to do a network hotsync, you don't necessarily have to. Here's a link that explains how to do a network hotsync with just the P1 Hotsync Manager and an internet connection:

http://sprintdevelopers.com/article19.html

Hope this helps.

jedi
    PDA Jedi,

Thanks ... I am not sure I am going to try it any time soon, but I was wondering how to do this and the article you referenced seems pretty good.

I as wondering if the originsl questions were just looking for email and calendar sync and not reallt hotsync?
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Yep, those are good instructions. Exactly what I did to set up my wireless hotsync over sprint. Love that feature as that has always been my primary hotsync method.
    If your just looking to sync your email with your email server, here's a good step by step of setting up Versamail with the Sprint server as an intermediary to your actual email server (see post #10):

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=62895

Some people don't like Versamail (I do), but I'm sure these configs will work with Snappermail as well.
    What if you have two Treo's that you want to wirelessly sync to two different desktops on the same office network? I have never been able to figure out a way to do that with the above method.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Thanks for the reference to that document. That is exactly what I needed. Works perfectly.
    My experience with Wireless Sync over Vision is it is VERY SLOW. Before hand make sure you disable Conduits that you don't needto sync, even then probably alot 5-10 minutes for the sync to complete.
    Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetfreak
    What if you have two Treo's that you want to wirelessly sync to two different desktops on the same office network? I have never been able to figure out a way to do that with the above method.
    It's possible. I just recently figured out how to remotely control two PC on a home network with PalmVNC and MergicVPN. Wireless hotsyncing two Treos to two different desktops on the same home/office network should work exactly the same way.

You need to setup your Treo to hotsync to the correct IP address on your network. From the sprintdevelopers article above:

Setup Phone
    1. Click on the HotSync icon
    2. Go to Options -> Modem Sync Preferences and choose Network
    3. Go to Options -> LanSync Preferences and choose Local HotSync
    4. Go to Options -> Primary PC Address.
    Set Primary PC Name to !!
    Set Primary PC Address to your WAN IP address
    Leave Subnet Mask blank
    5. Go to Options -> Connection Setup, highlight Direct Serial and tap Done

Make sure you set the hightlighted red above to the unique IP address that your router assigns to the computer you what to hotsync to.

You need to forward the correct ports to the correct IP addresses. From the sprintdevelopers article above:

Setup Router/Firewall
    1. Forward TCP port 14237 to your LAN IP address
    2. Forward UDP port 14238 to your LAN IP address
    3. Forward TCP port 14238 to your LAN IP address just for good measure although some sites say it's not necessary

That should be it, and you should be able to wirelessly hotsync two Treos to two different PC on the same home/office network.