Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Marc:

Maybe this has already been requested but I am new to Chatter...

I noticed that in the folder view (upper left corner of Chatter), all folders are listed under the main Account, essentially showing all folders as on the same "level". For people like me with a lot of folders and subfolders this can get very confusing and the folder can get very long and cluttered. Would it possible for the folder view to mirror the folder hierarchy on the IMAP server?

Perhaps this is better explained with an example.

I use subfolders for my Inbox, Sent, and Trash folders. Lets take one example. Under Inbox, Sent, and Trash I have a folder labeled "Project A". Here I place emails that I categorize as having to do with Project A. This makes it much easier for me to find anything related to Project A later.

When I set up these mailboxes in Chatter under the account Fastmail, they are all listed on the same level, which aside from being very confusing, does not allow me to collapse or expand the view. From an organizational point of view alone, having Chatter being able to mirror the same folder heirarchy would be a great benefit for me. Chatter does this already in the folder list when adding a mailbox. Would it be too difficult to extend this capabiity to the normal folder view (upper left corner)?

Along the same lines, why is the Inbox the first item listed in the hierarchy? Shouldnt the tree view show Account Name >> Inbox? You already do this for the Local Folders tree. You have Local Folders >> Drafts, TreoSent, Outbox.

For people with a lot of folders this would be a great feature...
    I've been thinking about how to handle this; it's definitely something I'm looking at.

I'm not sure what you mean about "Inbox" being first in the hierarchy; they should be alphabetical under the Account.

Marc
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Sorry Marc. Let me explain. I have an account at Fastmail that I named "Fastmail". When I set up this account a mailbox called Fastmail is created which mirrors the Inbox in Fastmail. All other folders are listed at a level below this.

I think it would make more sense and be more consistent with how you handled the Local Folders hierarchy to have the top level be the account name (Fastmail, Work, Personal, etc). Then the Inbox and all other folders/mailboxes created should be below this heading, much how the TreoSent, Outbox, and Drafts folder are a level below the Local Folders title. This way you could collapse the various accounts you have to just the account name then expand the hierarchy as required and as I tried to explain previously.
    Ah. The reason I do this is entirely to save "space" in the popup list (which can get pretty big in a hurry).

Marc
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Marc, if you were able to implement a true hierarchical tree view which allowed for collapsing and expanding, then space wouldnt be an issue. Users could expand or collapse as they see fit.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I have a question I think is related.

Currently I think the only way to use chatter is to explicitly "subscribe" to the mailbox chatter style. i.e. I use regular imap clients (evolution and thunderbird) and I already have a big subscribed list. With chatter I then have to tell chatter which ones of those subscribed mailboxes to care about.

I comprehend this for mboxes you want to stay synced (and searched), but there are other mboxes of mine i need to check rarely. It be nice if there be a way to select them easily and download their index (i.e. headers) find the email I want, download it and move on.

or perhaps even better

right now chatter download X byte chunk of the message, it be interesting if one could have it just download the headers and the user could select which messages they want (i.e. how thunderbird, evolution.... work), as well as the caching policy (i.e. cache any message i look at, chache only messages I mark with a sticky, cache entire folder.... on a folder by folder basis)

anyways just a thought of mine, what do you think?
    Yes, I think these are good ideas; I hope to be able to get to implementing them at some point...

Marc
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    another thought. how are the filtered mboxes implemented? i.e. lets say I want my inbox to be sync'd, but I want different filtered views on it (and perhaps be notified on filters, but not on the primary inbox).

for instance, I'm a phd student. I get a lot of email. It be nice to sync my inbox, and have a filtered view that has only email from my advisor and only get notified about those.

or have multiple filtered views of my inbox.

i.e. have a single file store, but have as many filtered views as you want use that store and have their own notification options.

chatter seems like the only real imap client, all the others seem like they are using imap from the POP perspective they are used to.