Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In another thread, I reported an odd camera problem; I've now tracked it down to a specific cause-and-effect that I'd like others to try and duplicate, please.

When PXA Clocker is "On," set to any speed, the Camera will cause a lock-up if the power is cycled "off" and "on" while the camera is in on.

My phone is a Cingular-branded device, and locked, with the patch applied. I'd like to know if this problem is unique to my phone only, or if I should be looking for a warranty exchange.

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by westronic; 03/27/2005 at 03:04 PM.
    Not a problem with my CDMA
    As Nader coined "unsafe at any speed".

I have found PXA Clocker pretty much useless, as even the slightest up-clock causes resets and lockups.

It may work well for a few moments, then blamo.

Guess I will wait for a better chip and more importantly, a better OS...this 1997 OS is killing me.
  4.    #4  
    cornrow - Thanks for checking it out.

MikeC: Useful, that was not. (That's my Yoda impersonation for the day. )
    No issues w/ PXAClocker and Camera on my CDMA Sprint. I disagree with mikec - I use PXAClocker (free version) at a reasonable speed (429) and use it to downclock MobiPocket and RealPlayer to extend batter life. Works very well for me!
  6.    #6  
    I'm bumping this back up with an appeal for others (at least one person) with a locked, Cingular phone with patch applied and PXA Clocker "on" to try and cycle power while the camera is on, please.

I need your help to find out if my unit is defective or if it is simply a software comptability issue.

It appears this is not an issue for CDMA phones.

Thanks.
  7.    #7  
    While I am at it, here's more on this weird behavior.

If I make a copy from ROM into RAM I can cycle power with PXA Clocker active, but the camera image is not normal - basically it's mostly green with great distortion - you cannot get any usable image at all until starting the camera app over.
    Last edited by agit-prop; 03/27/2005 at 10:06 AM.
    yeah I got that sceen once (but I was also clocked @468mhz) no problems @ 429 (except with express freezing on launch) I just have to remember to turn it off....
    STAR TAC w/TIMPORT ORGANIZER>I300>I330>TREO600>TREO650>TREO700>TREO755P
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I'm using an unlocked GSM F/W 01.15 S/W 1.06-ROW, the camera app freezes the unit when power is cycled just as you described, I have PXA Pro 4.3 running in the background. However, I wouldn't call this app "useless" by any stretch.
  11.    #11  
    Okay, with others showing this behavior, it looks like it is a PXA Clocker application incompatibility problem (NOT an over-clocking or defective hardware problem).

We'll see what the programmer says about it.

agit-prop: Yes, pretty much like that. Weird, eh?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Overclocking/underclocking camera application is not recommended, since it may cause problems with capturing. As for on/off lock-ups, we are currently investigating the issue. You may try to check "don't manage peripherals" box in PXA Clocker setting. Let me kmoe it it helps.
    This is what the developer said, but I already have checked the box so that peripherals are NOT managed.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sclui56
    This is what the developer said, but I already have checked the box so that peripherals are NOT managed.
    Me, too. I trust you have sent that info back to the developer?
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    Me, too. I trust you have sent that info back to the developer?
    Most definitely. I actually referred the developer to this thread.
  15.    #15  
    Most definitely. I actually referred the developer to this thread.
    Great. The developer has checked in with me, now, too.

I also just discovered two more odd behaviors.

1. If I allow peripherals to be handled by PXA Clocker, my device locks up, requiring a reset.

2. If I allow peripherals to be handled by PXA Clocker but do not select any any peripherals at all, the screen goes blank and the keyboard stay lit up, requiring a reset.

More weirdness, <sigh>, in the latter cases, I don't think it had that behavior pre-patch, but I am not sure if it only started post-patch as I did exchange my device because of a bad pixel.

I don't really care much about managing peripherals, though, unless I could speed up the CD Card access, but that's reasonably fast anyway. This seems to be one case where the CDMA phones have one up on us GSM guys.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I hope the developer can chase this down, having to reset on the 650 is no joy, no thanks to the placement of the "hole".
  17.    #17  
    I hope the developer can chase this down, having to reset on the 650 is no joy, no thanks to the placement of the "hole".
    It even worse than that for me as I use the Innopocket case - I have to get the phone out of the case first, which is a bit of a pain in the arse.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    It even worse than that for me as I use the Innopocket case - I have to get the phone out of the case first, which is a bit of a pain in the arse.
    Same here, I actually mod my old 600 Inno to fit the 650, and I also use the silicone case at times, now I just switch back to a slip case cause of the reset hole issue.

I switch between the Treo, JAM, & MS SP a lot, and I always love the design of the Treo's SIM slot where I don't need to power off the unit or remove the battery to swap SIM, but the new & improved reset hole has just complicated things....
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Experienced this problem yesterday. This thread is old so I'm a little sorprised this bug still exists.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Nothing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast