Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Marc, I am having a lot of issues getting the LED notification to work consistently. Sometimes it works great, other times not at all. I am pretty convinced this is related to my use of Butler. Is there anyway you can consider integrating Chatter notifications with Butler? A lot of people rely on Butler to handle other notifications so I think it would be yet another feature of Chatter that would further differentiate it from other email apps.

At the moment, this LED notification is the only thing keeping me using Snapper.

Thanks,
    I echo that request. It is a little bit of a nuisance (not enough to keep me using snapper though )
    How would they integrate (I ask from ignorance)? Is this something I'd talk to the TreoButler person about?

Marc
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    How familiar are you with Butler? It does a very nice job of assigning the LED the various alerts (Vmail, SMS, Calendar, etc) and also allows people to have alarm "nags" if they miss the initial notification.

So I guess what I mean by integrate is have Chatter pass along its notification to Butler to have it handle the alarm and nags. As it is right now, it seems to me that Butler and Chatter are fighting each other for control of the LED, that is why I cant seem to get my Chatter LED notificaitons to work reliably.

Is anyone esle having this issue? For users of Butler and Chatter, how do you have the two apps set up to get reliable LED notifications??
    Marc...yes I would suggest emailing Rob of butler fame www.hobbyistsoftware.com

his user name here is confusedvorlon.

You and he are my favorite developers.
    Quote Originally Posted by buirus
    How familiar are you with Butler? It does a very nice job of assigning the LED the various alerts (Vmail, SMS, Calendar, etc) and also allows people to have alarm "nags" if they miss the initial notification.

So I guess what I mean by integrate is have Chatter pass along its notification to Butler to have it handle the alarm and nags. As it is right now, it seems to me that Butler and Chatter are fighting each other for control of the LED, that is why I cant seem to get my Chatter LED notificaitons to work reliably.

Is anyone esle having this issue? For users of Butler and Chatter, how do you have the two apps set up to get reliable LED notifications??
    Even though I would like to see even further integration between chatter and butler, I have to say that so far I have them playing pretty nicely together (since the latest beta's where Marc added in the snowflake). I should start off by saying that I have everything working where buter and chatter don't interfere with each other (butler also gives me my alerts for voicemail and sms etc) I have things set up so that when I get an e-mail in chatter, butler will flash the led (flashing green) and then I will hear an alert (from butler) until I acknowledge the alert.

One thing I should add is that to even begin to get them to play well together, you have to go into the chatter console, and type "indicator red." After that, you have to make sure that all of chatter's led settings are set to off, you don't want chatter handling the led at all (if you are trying to get butler to work). You will also have to disable chatters ability to pop up over other apps when you have a new e-mail. If you leave the chatter pop up preference on, chatter will auto acknowledge the alarm once the pop up goes away (which you probably do not want).

Right now, the one major thing that I can't have with chatter and butler, is the ability to have butler automatically stop the alert, once the e-mail has been checked through any other source other than the chatter app itself. For instance, if I get an alert in butler when I have a chatter e-mail, and then I check the e-mail on fastmail, the alert will still stay on in butler until I acknowledge the alert on the treo. These are some of the areas where I would like to see further integration between chatter and butler.

If anyone needs any further tips that I can help with, don't hesitate to ask.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    paulsjmail:

thank you very much for the detailed reply. I did everything you suggested and still no LED.

the strange thing was, the LED was working. then without changing anything it stopped working.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Ok, after some testing here is what I noticed:

I am using the latest Chatter and Butler.

I have set the LED, vibrate, and LED notifications when the system is off, LED and POP when in another app, and just LED when in Chatter.

The only way I can get LED notifications to work is to select "Use Attention Manager". However, this only works if the last app that the Treo was in before power off is NOT Chatter. Otherwise when an email arrives, the screen just wakes up and no LED.

If the last app was something other than Chatter, when an email arrives, the Treo will vibrate, the screen will wake up, the LED will display, but when the POPUP message from Chatter displays, the screen will turn off immediately after the POPUP.

I agree with paulsmail that it would be nice if the Attention Manager would recognize when an email had been acknowledged.

The oddest thing was that my system was working perfectly yesterday. When an email arrived, the LED would light up, it would vibrate, and the POPUP would happen. I did not have "Use Attention Manager" set. After a soft reset this morning, everything changed.

I think the whole notification part of Chatter needs to be investigated. What good is it to have a GREAT email program such as Chatter to receive timely emails if the user cannot get dependable notifications?
    I've been using LED notifications forever, and it seems to always be working... There are no changes in the code lately at all, as far as I can tell. Are you using green flash or orange now? Does it matter?

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by buirus
    Ok, after some testing here is what I noticed:

I am using the latest Chatter and Butler.

I have set the LED, vibrate, and LED notifications when the system is off, LED and POP when in another app, and just LED when in Chatter.

The only way I can get LED notifications to work is to select "Use Attention Manager". However, this only works if the last app that the Treo was in before power off is NOT Chatter. Otherwise when an email arrives, the screen just wakes up and no LED...
    That's a good point Burus, if chatter is the last app looked at, then I don't get a butler notification of the e-mail. I can see that in that case, chatter doesn't seem to use the "snowflake" so maybe butler doesn't know that it should issue an alert.
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    I've been using LED notifications forever, and it seems to always be working... There are no changes in the code lately at all, as far as I can tell. Are you using green flash or orange now? Does it matter?

Marc
    Marc, I use the "green flash" and I do think there is a good chance (I'm not positive) that it matters. It seems as if you don't use the green flashing led, that it can be a bit flakey (speaking of butler here).
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Marc, thanks for the reply. Have you seen the issue with the POPUP causing the screen to immediately shut off? If I am in another app and the treo is on, then the POPUP works fine. The POPUP is a great feature because if the treo is off and I get an email I can quickly see if the email is important. Paulsjmail, have you seen this issue?

I will try the "indicator flash" command and see if this makes a difference. I normally use orange.
    I don't use the Alert Manager if you're in Chatter (i.e. last app); if you think I should, that's very easy... The question becomes: when to turn it off?

Marc
    This is just an idea, and someone may have a better one, but how about turning the alert off (in chatter) whenever any message is acknowledged. Then, as soon as a new message comes in, turn it back on.
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Marc, I am not sure what you mean by "when to turn it off". If Chatter was the last app before power off, and an email comes in, I would suspect that Alert Manager should behave the same as if Chatter was NOT the last app before power off. In other words, when an email arrives, (in my case) I would expect vibrate, LED, and a POPUP. If I acknowledge the email alert by taking some sort of action on it (read, delete, forward, etc), I would expect the alert to go away.

Am I missing something or am I not understanding your question.

As it is, if you miss the initial alert (vibrate or tone), there is no way to tell (via LED) that there is a message waiting. Maybe there is a better way and I dont really care how it is implemented as long as there is an LED notification of an email

Also, I did some more testing about the POPUP causing the screen to turn off immediately. If I set the POPUP timeout to 15 secs there is no problem. When an email arrives, the screen turns on and a POPUP is visible. However, if I set the timeout to 30 sec (I have not tried anything in between), then I get the immediate screen shutoff again.
    t
    I'm confused! My LED is always flashing when messages are waiting; I can't think of a case in which it isn't. So we're back to the interaction with Butler??

Marc
    Marc, I think we (at least I am) are talking about a senario where we are only using butler for the led alerts. What I'm looking for is for chatter (while I get a message and chatter is the last app used) to issue the snowflake so that butler can take over and flash the led. chatter currently does this if you are in another app, but if you leave your treo on with chatter as the last app, chatter doesn't do this. The result it that you don't know you have new e-mail waiting in chatter (if you use butler for alerts).
    Ok. So if you're in Chatter, and a message comes in, the snowflake is on and keeps flashing? Or is this only if the display is off? And the thing is going to keep blinking until you ... what? Read all the messages? Tap on the snowflake?

Marc
    Where the problem seems to be is if butler is dealing with the LED for the system but you are in chatter still so it does not use the attention manager (where butler hooks itself in) so now you have two programs trying to control the LED at the same time. I'll have to do more experimenting to confirm this, but I suspect this is where the problem lies.
    Ok, I'm in contact with the developer of Butler...

Marc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast