Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since Palm didn't see fit to fix this annoying bug in the 1.08 patch, I've produced this hack, because I like being able to use use network time, same as every other cell phone.

How it works: It hooks the OS trap to set the system time and rejects any attempt to set it before about 1990. Since the incorrect time is usally around 1980, the invalid set gets blocked. I've verified it using the GoTreo Software DisplayTime utility, and also using the date setter in the preferences. If for some reason, you actually want your Treo to think it's last century, you'll need to disable the hack. Also, this uses the YAHM hack interface, so you'll need to install that:
    http://yahm.palmoid.com/

Long term testing is needed. If you decide to try it, please post feedback here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    thank you DrWowe, i dont have a time problem anymore, but im sure this app will many people out
  3.    #3  
    As far as I'm aware from reports in the forums, GSM phones don't have the problem. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    yay and nay, my treo 650 (my old one) had a tendancy when network time was enabled to go a timezone GMT +10:15M, when in actuality im GMT -5:00 (EST) and -4:00 (EDT).

same for this one i have, however i can fix it back to stay
  5.    #5  
    OK, I see there's a different bug with GSM phones. (thanks, palmOne...) Just to be clear, this hack is specifically designed to address the "double date change" bug in the Sprint CDMA Treo 650. It won't help with other problems.
    DrWowe:

You're in fire - 1st the Custom ROMs and now this - a huge thanks for your contributions!
    OK. Install the hack manager (YAHM), install the timefix650.prc, enable the timefix650.prc using YAHM, then turn on network time in preferences?
    Charliec
  8.    #9  
    Charliec: yes, that is how you enable it. It doesn't do anything "obvious" -- the way to check if it is working is by running the DisplayTimeChange applet ( http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-...playTimeChange ) If it's working, you won't see the double time changes where the clock resets to some time in the distant past before reacquiring the correct time, which has reportedly caused problems like random resets, database corruptions, etc.

treo2die4: You're welcome. Just trying to make the most out of my phone.
    Yes - was looking at Displaytimechange which I installed a while back trying to get to the botom of this issue...so far so good...thanks for the fix! In a little while, I may even remove NetClock, prefer not to have to try to remember to check...
    Charliec
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    OK, I see there's a different bug with GSM phones. (thanks, palmOne...)
    Sorry, but I can't seem to find anything on that...I use Enable Network Time on my P1 Unlocked GSM Treo 650 (T-Mobile) and haven't experienced any problems. Exactly what is the GSM Enable Network Time bug?
    my GSM changes my time zone when i enable network time

cingular gsm in los angeles
    Quote Originally Posted by maoun

OK, then it's probably a Cingular-branded 650 bug. No such problem with my P1 unlocked model.
    Thanks, Dr Wowe. Any chance on hacking a fix for the "Show Calendar Event" bug in the Phone app. This is the one that corrupts the calendar DB such that it cannot Hotsync with Outlook. Jeff Gibson seems to think that enabling this option keeps the calendar DB "open", causing the problems. I really miss this useful feature...
  14.    #15  
    acousticbiker: I don't know anything about it. Can you post a link to a concise description of the problem? If it's easy, I'll consider it.

For you GSM owners, I'm considering doing a hack that locks the time zone. I think that would be sufficient, and not take very long to write. If you needed to legitimately change time zones, for example while travelling, you could temporarily disable the hack. I'll post back if I have time to get to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWowe
    acousticbiker: I don't know anything about it. Can you post a link to a concise description of the problem? If it's easy, I'll consider it.

For you GSM owners, I'm considering doing a hack that locks the time zone. I think that would be sufficient, and not take very long to write. If you needed to legitimately change time zones, for example while travelling, you could temporarily disable the hack. I'll post back if I have time to get to it.
    OK, Dr Wowe, thanks for the offer. This problem started when the following error appeared in my Hotsync log:

Outlook Calendar
    The attempt to open the database failed.
    Date Book application database is not found. Please invoke the Date Book application on the handheld once and re-synchronize.
    OLERR:05-0001
    OLERR:0D-0004
    OLERR:0D-0001
    - Not Synchronized
    Outlook Calendar synchronization failed

After doing some research, it appears that others had the same problem: it seems that having the "Show Calendar Event" option in the Phone app somehow causes the calendar DB to get corrupted such that Hotsyncing to Outlook does not work (as shown above). To fix the problem, I've had to delete the calendar DB and have "Desktop overwrite handheld" with a Hotsync. The "Show Calendar Event" option has gone unused as a result. This is a very useful feature and I miss it.

I'm not sure what triggers this corruption to occur, as I did not experience this problem for a few months and then it began to appear. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the Network Time bug or with backing up while the phone radio is on (another supposed cause of calendar DB corruption).

Any help on this would be appreciated. One idea I had was to have a program that would disable this option just before any Hotsync operation and then re-enable it immediately after. I just don't know if this is possible and don't have the knowledge to create this hack.
    Quote Originally Posted by maoun

Can't you change it manually? I was able to by going under "Welcome" and doing the tap screen thing, then the time comes up and I just changed the city and fixed the time.

Although I must say I'm not even sure I enabled network time, is that the default setting?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    acousticbiker, could a possible short-term fix for you be to not HotSync while the phone app is active? If you switch to any other app including the launcher before syncing it should remove any file access problems caused by the phone app, true? Then again, if that's true you should p2obably get the same error if you had the calendar app active when initiating a sync.

I have "Show Calendar Event" active in my phone app and sync with Outlook and haven't noticed this problem, but will watch for it now.

Ivory...
    Ivory:

Same here. I've never run into this problem. And I'm pretty sure I've hotsynced when the phone app was active, too.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivory
    acousticbiker, could a possible short-term fix for you be to not HotSync while the phone app is active? If you switch to any other app including the launcher before syncing it should remove any file access problems caused by the phone app, true? Then again, if that's true you should p2obably get the same error if you had the calendar app active when initiating a sync.

I have "Show Calendar Event" active in my phone app and sync with Outlook and haven't noticed this problem, but will watch for it now.

Ivory...
    Thanks for the idea, Ivory. I'll try this. Yeah, it's funny that I went months without seeing this problem and then at the same time I noticed threads about it, I started having it. I wonder if there is any other app that is contributing to this in combination with this option...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast