1.    #1  
    I am truly having a nightmare with this 650. I had a 600 for 16 months and had to trade up because of the dreaded buzzing which just kept coming back but at least the o/s was stable and I could pop my mail, surf the web and run a few other apps. The new 650 is a great improvement ergonomiclly, the keyboard and screen are amazing but unless I can get it to stop resetting 10-15 times a day those advancements will be worthless so I hope someone can help me out here.

I'm running the International unlocked GSM version of the T650. It has firmware: 01.15, Software: Treo650-1.06-ROW and Hardware: A

In terms of 3rd party software I have AgendusPro v9.03, BackupMan v1.51, dbScan v-1.7c, Documents to Go v 7.003(851), TrafficStat v4.1 and ZLauncher v5.11. I am also using the preinstalled Versamail v 3.0B and Blazer V4.0.

The problems I'm having are varied but include:-

1. Phone resets frequently when selecting apps and always after a HotSync.
    2. When I power up the phone I get a message on the bottom of the screen saying it is "Attaching GPRS". This almost always fails and I get an error message saying I should check the network settings etc. When I try to manually get a GPRS connection (for POP'ing email or surfing the web) I often get failures like " 0 x 2368".
    3. Sometimes when I receive a call the phone rings but the screen stays in the app I'm in and even if I press the green phone button I cannot answer the call. After about 10 seconds the screen "unfreezes" launches the phone screen and tries to answer the call which has of course given up by then.
    4. Versamail won't bcc messages to the predefined address I've set in the options menu, it simply won't do it!! When it does Auto Sync (I'm not sure it does it according to the schedules I've set) it often pulls down only part of a message enven though I've set the option to receive the entire message and when I click o the icon to download the rest of the message it downloads the same amount again. It often downloads the same email multiple times even though I've set the option to only download unread email. Does anything about VersaMail actually work?

I have more issues related to 3rd party software but these are the main ones. If I can just get it to do the basics without constant resets or freezes i.e. be a reliable phone, get Versamail working, surf the web and have no problems with AgendusPro then I'll be happy and add additional apps one at a time.

Hope some of you guys can help me here!!

Thanks in advance if you can.

Regards

John
    Ko Samet beach & a Treo650 - the perfectly connected stress free office
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I have no resets. Get rid of Agendus, Zlauncher, don't used docs to go, get rid of traffic.

You should be OK after that. Introduce them one at a time afterwards and discontinue troublemakers.
    I've had a couple of resets (non more than usual), I use Agendus, ZLauncher and Docs to Go without incident on my Sprint 650.
    mgauss is right.
    Why not have a hard-reset and try to use 650 without any 3rd party softwares several days and then you can see whether it is the phone's problem or the 3rd softwares'.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks guys will take off the 3rd party softwae and give it a go.
    Ko Samet beach & a Treo650 - the perfectly connected stress free office
    Yes Bangkok, often that is the problem; a corrupt file or program that does not play nice with the 650. For me it was Versamail, then a couple of 3rd party programs. After a few technical moves my resets were resolved. Also, make sure you are running it with ample memory. Pictures and videos can sap up a lot of space.

Backupman has saved me more than a few times when things got too hairy.

Have a great Easter weekend guys!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Yes Bangkok, often that is the problem; a corrupt file or program that does not play nice with the 650. For me it was Versamail, then a couple of 3rd party programs. After a few technical moves my resets were resolved. Also, make sure you are running it with ample memory. Pictures and videos can sap up a lot of space.

Backupman has saved me more than a few times when things got too hairy.

Have a great Easter weekend guys!
    Yep I agree with all the rest of the members!!!! 3Rd party apps. that your not aware of can kill your Treo. I had the same experience, with Backup buddy. Hotsync would not work and soft resets after I could get the hotsync to work. Make sure when you uninstall 3rd party apps do the ususal add remove from the computer and search the registry to make sure it still not hiding under the Palm software or elsewhere.

Definitely do a hard reboot on the T-650 and use the phone VIRGIN w/o any Apps installed.

GOOD LUCK
    I haven't had any problems yet, but I'm trying some different 3rd party apps. If I want to uninstall the apps on my device, what is the best way to uninstall? Do I just go into the delete menu and delete them from there? How can I tell which data bases or other files are affiliated with the application I'm deleting? Thanks in advance.
    As you said just unistall the apps from the delete menu. It will delete the application and its databases. I recommend getting Uninstall Mgr. It's a great utility that can monitor your installed apps and completely remove all it if you choose to delete it.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    As you said just unistall the apps from the delete menu. It will delete the application and its databases. I recommend getting Uninstall Mgr. It's a great utility that can monitor your installed apps and completely remove all it if you choose to delete it.
    Thanks for your suggestion. Right after my post I downloaded trial versions of Uninstall Manager and CleanUp. It took some reading to understand how to use it properly, but after I got the hang of it I found that it worked really well. I wish I had this when I was still using my Tungsten. Thanks!
    IfcFan:

When ya purchase them in the "NeatFreakPak" for the best deal. First two apps to go on my unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcfan
    Thanks for your suggestion. Right after my post I downloaded trial versions of Uninstall Manager and CleanUp. It took some reading to understand how to use it properly, but after I got the hang of it I found that it worked really well. I wish I had this when I was still using my Tungsten. Thanks!
    No problem! As JackNaylorPE mentioned, you'll get a better deal if you buy the bundle. Also it's a good idea to hard reset your phone and have these 2 apps the very first to go on your treo. It will keep everything nice and clean! No pun intended!
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    please stop blaming 3rd party apps.

this is a complete boogeyman.

If your app is certified to run on the 650, 99% of the time, you are fine.

The 650 resets primarily due to hardware defects, bugs in NVFS and the OS itself (nothing like running a 1997 OS on your 2005 device)

Don't blame Agendus, Zlauncher, or anything else....blame PalmOne.

I hve seen virgin 650s reset regularly. I have seen app-laden 650s reset regularly. It doesn't matter.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Don't blame Agendus, Zlauncher, or anything else....blame PalmOne.
    I was going to say the same thing. Do these apps crash this much on other devices? I don't think so.

Nobody bought a Treo 650 to run it in a stock configuration. It makes me sad that people are willing to accept the instability of the 650 and blame software developers.

For one thing, *no platform* should ever crash when one of its applications dies, if it is even the applications that are dying. A lot of times, hardware and OS errors can "appear" to be an application crash, because the application goes to get something from memory and it's corrupted, and the app (or even the OS) bugs out. But even if this happens, the OS should never have to reset. The fact that it does is a clear weakness of Palm OS.

Microsoft Windows has even gotten better in this respect, and it's doing a lot of more complicated things than Palm OS 5 is. Palm OS doesn't even really multitask!

It's disturbing that the community seems to be taking this lying down. This is clearly a weakness in either the device, the OS, or both, and we need resolution that lets us run real applications on it, and not handle the device with kid gloves on.