Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After reading the thread about how amazing the Sprint update was, I decided to give it a shot. I only have one issue with the Treo 650 and that's that VersaMail refuses to tell me when new mail arrives. It just doesn't forget to me tell me, it doesn't look.

Before you dismiss the rest of this as some ignorant user bashing PalmOne or Sprint, look at my past. I've been a member since the Visor Deluxe came out. I've been through the Treo 300, 600, and now the 650. I have a number of posts, including starting the wifi sticky post in which ShadowMite became truly famous. I love Sprint's affordable and fast data plans. I even get above average customer support.

So I've followed the instructions on the Sprint update and it got caught in a loop where it did the update 3 times. Resyncing put the update back on the phone each time, which would cause it to update, which would require the resync which would put the update on the phone. After 3 times and 2.5 hours, I figured it's probably best if I just rename my back-up file and see if I get my basic contacts back and I'll just reinstall applications afterward. That didn't work as it put me in reset loop.

Looking at Palm instructions it said that I'd get in a reset if I didn't clear up 11MB. Well it was tough, but I managed to clear up a little over 12MB. Perhaps when I'm done the phone will work. Maybe even VersaMail. I just know that it's not how I imagined spending my Friday night.
    it's you - seriously, no problems here, sorry you must be the "exception to the rule".
    If you tried to do the update without clearing the 11 meg of free space, in spite of all the notices to the contrary (and didn't take the other option they offered), then my friend, I'm afraid - it's you.

Did the update (after clearing 11 meg). Now have 15 meg. Gained 4 meg space and a clearer tone.

Doug
    Doug
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Did you delete the update files from the backup folder as specified in the directions? Wouldn't that prevent the update from being put back on during a resync?
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, I think I am. It's not like I had any ShadowMite ROMs or anything more complex that Bejeweled on there.

I might have posted too early. One more hard reset and 20 minute or so sync, and I'm back up and running.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougLucas
    If you tried to do the update without clearing the 11 meg of free space, in spite of all the notices to the contrary (and didn't take the other option they offered), then my friend, I'm afraid - it's you.

Did the update (after clearing 11 meg). Now have 15 meg. Gained 4 meg space and a clearer tone.

Doug
    In the original post I stated that I cleared up over 12. That was the most annoying part of the whole thing. Palm made it seem like the only reason it could fail is if you didn't clear out 11. That's obviously not the case.

I didn't delete the files in the back-up folder as I didn't see that in the directions. If it said that, then I guess it is indeed me.

On the What to Expect at http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...er/sprint.html it doesn't mention anything about going in and deleting the back-up files. Even if it was somewhere else, if it wasn't here, I'm going to go on a limb and say "it isn't me".
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Well, at least your up and running now.
    It wasn't you. However, the best way to do a firmware upgrade is to hard reset and perform it under a temporary user name. This info goes back to the 600. Glad you got it... next time you'll know.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    It wasn't you. However, the best way to do a firmware upgrade is to hard reset and perform it under a temporary user name. This info goes back to the 600. Glad you got it... next time you'll know.
    I did know that was the most reliable, and I went that route once before with my Treo 600. I guess I figured I'd give it a shot the basic way rather than the "alternate way".
    Sorry, but i think its you. Installed mine with no problems.
    I get the same Reset Loop Issue, it's quite annoying considering that I have 12 Megs freed up.
    I too had problems with the Sprint update. Ran it from work (where they have Cadenza Mnotes installed to link with Lotus Notes calendar). Screwed up my Treo royally, had to do a hard reset and recover all the apps and data. Did it from home, with no Mnotes etc. and it ran just fine, no problem install and now have 15 M free.
    I had the same exact problem as BMAC. I followed the directions explicitly and had freed over the requisit 11MB. Same annoying loop. Same reloading of the update. Cost me hours. Finally, Sprint Level 2 had me do the rename routine of the backup folder. I then got the successful update. However, I had to go back to the original backup and remove the scores of new files placed there from the update to get all of my original settings back. The Sprint tech led me through the removal of the files.

Now I have 6MB of freed memory, vastly improve audio clarity, great volume on my BT headset, and VERY REGULAR RESETS EVERY TIME I TRY TO PLACE A CALL IN MY AUDI A6!
    It's not you...this a very complex update for the avg. user.

First, the fact you need 11 MB free is a pain....I basically had to delete most of my apps and reinstall later. Lame.

Then, I had to run the update twice, because it did not take the first time. Again, lame.

So basically, I got 5 MB more ram, which is nice, but the resets are still there (even a little worse).

I don't see much difference in anything else.

Also, I have given up on BT sync...it is just too buggy. I measured the time I spent fiddling with it each time, plus sync time, and compared it to the USB cable. I was shocked to find I was spending AN HOUR a day with BT sync, as opposed to 5 min with USB.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    It's not you...this a very complex update for the avg. user.

...So basically, I got 5 MB more ram, which is nice, but the resets are still there (even a little worse).

I don't see much difference in anything else.
    yep yep
    Hey all -

I just got done posting my support in the "Amazing" thread. I also had problemsm, finnding my self in a reset loop.

It was actually quite comical - It was about 11 pm, I had work the next day, I'mdoing this upgrade (as mikec very complex update for the avg. user) and the phone goes into this loop. At first I was calm, but after 15 minutes, soft / hard / warm reset would not stop it. I started to sweet. Freaking out, open a caouple of browesers on the PC and started searching these threads for anything I can find to stop this thing. After another 15 minutes I found a thread explaining a warm reset / battery removel and was able to get stable. I must have looked like a fool, I was so nervous.

The moral of the story - it was my fault. Never removed the backup stuff. The directions from Palm were inda crappy, but I had the benefit of this site, so I should have got it right. Nope.

oh well.. still very happy about the update
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    After reading the thread about how amazing the Sprint update was, I decided to give it a shot. I only have one issue with the Treo 650 and that's that VersaMail refuses to tell me when new mail arrives. It just doesn't forget to me tell me, it doesn't look.
    I know this thread is about the 1.08 update but in regards to your versamail problem there is only one fix. You MUST turn off "Enable Local Network Time". This is regardless of a pre or post 1.08 update. This firmware update does not solve the Versamail Auto Fetch problem.
    so this update is amazing....
    Before the update I never had resets problems. Now I have resets all the time and lose my saved and unsaved preferences and datases from snappermail are all corrupted. it's beeb a nightmare. I'm giving it a second chance if not I'm going to exchage it.

Al
    Hey - the phone is awesome - so the uypdate is amazing. Really, the only amazing part is the additional space: but that's a domino affect.

More space. Move apps off card. Less crashes due to 3rd party apps running on card. No need for Zlauncher / power run. Less soft resets (My phone and z-launcher didn'tlike each other). Lower cost, with out those programs. yada yada yada
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast