Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, there isn't really a good thread out there that discusses sound issues in detail, so i figured i would start one. I would like to ask those who have applied the patch to please post details concerning your voice quality (before and after the patch). This will help out those who are interested in purchasing a 650, but wanted to see if the patch fixed most of the sound issues (like me!). List the following if possible:

1. Area of service
    2. Sound quality with normal use, headset use, and speakerphone
    3. Anything that seems more like phone related issues and not just cellular static/drops.
    4. Anything else that pertains to sound issues on the treo.

Try to be informative and specific (don't just post stuff like "IT SUCKS, or ITS AWESOME!" This does little help people).

Thanks for your help, this forum is a great info source!
    Sound quality declined. Had to turn the volume all the way down when using my headset and about halfway when not using it. Now I need to turn it up halfway on the headset and all the when not using it (and itís still not loud enough).
    I think the sound quality has improved, but I know for a fact that the earpiece volume has decreased. My ears are pretty sensitive about this stuff, and as the poster said above, I now have to crank the volume all the way up to hear callers and its still not loud enough. I noticed this same thing when I did the second firmware update on the Treo 600. I was surprised to read that people were reporting that the sound volume increased...definitely decreased for me...kind of a bummer....otherwise, the update has been working fine for me.
  4.    #4  
    What about overall voice quality. Do calls really sound that bad when placed with a 650? Did choppiness go away?
    In my experience, people are understanding me a LOT more now that the firmware upgrade has been applied. I am getting a lot less "what did you say" and "i cant understand you" from people on the other end.
    All the people I talk to on a regular basis have noticed an extreme difference im the quality of my voice on calls. My earpiece volume was always to loud to me even when it was turned down. So, the decrease in volume seeme dto make it perfect now for my use. I just hope to God that my versamail will stop going into soft resets every couple of weeks now.

"Age is only a number society has inflicted upon us to number our days on Earth."
    ~Stephen Todd
    People who are replying to the poll, could yoiu post whether or not you were using one of the custom ROM patches before the 1.08 upgrade. That way we can compare sound quality improvement "apples to apples"

For me I had Shadowmite #3 installed and THAT had improved sound quality for me. So far with the new upgrade, overall sound quality seems to be the same, but I don't appear to be "cutting out" as much as I had even after the shadowmite install. Volume over my wired headset much louder. Speaker seems better both speakerphone and with P-tunes. Built-in headset seems the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by shonea
    1. Area of service
    2. Sound quality with normal use, headset use, and speakerphone
    3. Anything that seems more like phone related issues and not just cellular static/drops.
    4. Anything else that pertains to sound issues on the treo.
    1 - Atlanta metro area.

2 - Fine for me and even louder after the patch. With my BT headset (HBH-660) it is noticeably much louder also. Same with speakerphone. The patch to me did increase volume without a doubt.

3 - None.

4 - No sound issues. The patch simply made it noticeably louder.
    midfoman - Goodpoint

I was reading this thread thinking "hmm, not much differance ion quality on my phone" Well, duh, I also had Shadowmite patch.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Grand Rapids, MI area. Was using custom ROM #5. Am considering going back to that ROM, because:
    - the sound quality of my calls decreased (both to me and the person I talk to)
    - volume of the earpiece decreased, not loud enough anymore
    - I could swear that it actually decreased my signal strength, but that is probably just imagination
    Quote Originally Posted by dstevens
    Sound quality declined. Had to turn the volume all the way down...
    The "sound quality" issue fixed by the update has nothing to do with what YOU hear on the Treo (or through a headset, etc). It's about the voice quality heard by those people you talk to. In other words, the way sound is processed through the microphone.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    minneapolis, flashed to the 1.08 rom and last night flashed to the Shadowmite #3 (built on 1.08) ROM.

Like B-Model said, I also had the earlier Shadowmite ROM #3 so I had the sound fix prior. I use the Plantronics M3000 bluetooth headset and find that the bluetooth seems better sounding. The sound on the phone? Much the same with the earlier custom ROM.

I was one of the folks who did not think my phone was bad before the Custom ROM, when I put it in, wow sounded better. This one is better for me since the Bluetooth volume has been fixed = louder and I don't need the BT Mute anymore.
    Gene
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    The "sound quality" issue fixed by the update has nothing to do with what YOU hear on the Treo (or through a headset, etc). It's about the voice quality heard by those people you talk to. In other words, the way sound is processed through the microphone.
    I understand "sound quality". I had no problems with sound quality before the update. I do now have low volume issues after the update both when using a headset and through the phones speaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstevens
    ...I do now have low volume issues after the update both when using a headset and through the phones speaker...
    I agree 100%...anyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by rjmoose
    I agree 100%...anyone else?
    Nope. My phone's earpiece is the same, the speakerphone seems even louder and the BT volume is louder.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    The BT250 headset improved at other end. The built-in mic improved at other end.
    My wired headsets are now terrible: I never had anyone ask me to repeat anything before using the wired headsets. Since updating, no one can hear me if I'm using the wired headsets.
    According to shadowmite ( www.shadowmite.com ), the sound quality patch that was distributed earlier appears to be identical to that which is included in version 1.08.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Spring PCS service

voice quality terrible before 1.08

did not use shadowmite or any other rom

voice quality excellent after 1.08

scala 500 earphone voice level much higher after update

no resets after 36 hours

5 megs more memory after 1.08

I'm very, very happy with the update so far.
    1.) Suburb of Detroit (West Bloomfield).
    2.) Sound quality before update: hammered dog crap.
    3.) Sound quality after update: excellent (or so the people I'm speaking with tell me).
    4.) Not using shadowmite or any other rogue rom. Just stock 650.
    5.) Ear piece volume perfect (wasn't an issue before update).
    6.) Volume in headset is perfect also.

Extremely satisfied with recent update. Enough so to "de-lurk" and post about it.

*lurk mode back on*
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Area of service : Virginia Beach and the Hampton Roads area

Sound quality before 1.08 :
    - ear piece was marginal
    - speaker phone was inadequate
    - don't use headset.
    Sound quality after 1.08 :
    - very good ear piece
    - excellent speaker phone
    - N/A

Callers notice my voice is clearer.

For some reason, I now can receive incoming phone calls while on the web instead of them just going to voice mail. Is that what is meant by " data optimization " ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast