Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can someone give me some help setting up PalmVNC to work on a home XP machine with a T650?
    I believe I have installed correctly but I can't connect.
    You'll need to load Ultra Vnc Server on your home PC and Palm vnc on your Treo.

On your home PC after you install Ultra VNC, make sure you change the default password. If you have a firewall router or application, forward all external to internal request for the following ports to your Home PC's IP : port 5800 - 5999 (TCP).

That should do it. Let me know if you have anymore questions. PM me for help.
    I set up an account on no-ip.info. With PalmVNC I can use the IP address currently assigned to my computer behind my router to connect, but if I use the server name PalmVNC can't connect. Set up port forwarding as you described above, but no dice. Using a NetGear Router. Thoughts?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    I set up an account on no-ip.info. With PalmVNC I can use the IP address currently assigned to my computer behind my router to connect, but if I use the server name PalmVNC can't connect. Set up port forwarding as you described above, but no dice. Using a NetGear Router. Thoughts?
    Same here. I can connect using the IP which is unfortunately dynamic, but using no-ip accont name as the server name wont connect. Also, I port forwrded port 5900 only, seems to work fine.

P.S. Is there a way to zoom in\out from the keys on a 600 without going thru the menu->view? Thanks...
    P.P.S Great alternative to WIN-HAND since the $15 a month debacle
    P.P.P.S I thought PalmVNC was free? Mine says 'shareware'
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    I use dyndns.org and it works fine...not sure about no-ip.

Make sure the IP is set up correctly with no-ip. It might take a day. Try pinging you name..and make sure it resolves to the correct ip.
    Ive been using no-ip for over 3 years now and has always worked seemlessly for ftp etc. Thats why its strange that it does not seem to work for PalmVNC. No-ip also has a graphical interface so that we know our ip is getting resolved and the service is running...
    This is the thread that helped me the most:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...6&postcount=44
    mobile users:http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...=44&styleid=12

You could look here:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...3&postcount=39
    mobile users: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...=39&styleid=12

Let me know if any of it helps.

Off the bat, i would tell you to make sure your no-ip is correctly set and that the ports are correctly configured. You'll have to make sure your palmvnc settings are done right. the display number is something I had to wrestle with for a littel bit but other than that I had no trouble.

let me know.
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 04/03/2006 at 11:06 PM. Reason: added mobile version of links
    I am so lost in this thread... I hate when threads like this show what a non techie I really am. I am trying to set up Palm VNC as well.

Here's my situation. I have a home computer, running WinXP, always on, DSL connection, 2Wire Router, Internet service provider is SBC (Yahoo).

Do I need a no-ip acct?... If so, am I setting up a host/redirect?... can someone walk me through like I am a total lamea**.. because I am, real slow and simple like...

I have searched, but it remains unclear whether I need no-ip or not, and if I do, EXACTLY what am I setting it up to do... and probably how.

Sorry for this, but once you explain it to me, I promise I'll catch on fairly quick-like, and support anyone else in their future efforts.

Thanks!!!!

PS - Will this work like Win-Hand? I love the idea of this program, and have found it useful in some critical instances, but have to say from time to time, it disconnects for no reason, and doesn't allow for reconnection until I am back at my PC to correct whatever was bothering it. Now that they are charging for it... FORGET IT!

PPS - Is VNC as fast as WinHand?...faster maybe??? any thoughts are appreciated.
    speed: probably just as fast.

do you need no-ip: well, not really if your IP doesnt change often. but if it does or you just dont want to worry about it, then yes.

there was a program that would poll your linksys router for its ip then post it on a web site of your choosing. b4 i did the whole dns thing, it was pretty handy.

either way, you have to find out what port you need open (i use just 5800, but I have seem ppl say you need 5800-5900) and forward them to the ip of your pc.

after you install the software on PC and palm.

first thing I would do, is set up your router to foward the ports. then find out what IP your ISP has given you. Set up a connection on palmvnc. can you make a connection? if yes, then decide if you want the convinience of knowing you can connect no matter what your IP is.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    either way, you have to find out what port you need open (i use just 5800, but I have seem ppl say you need 5800-5900) and forward them to the ip of your pc.
    Huh?... Remember, me slow. how do I find out what port I need open. I logged into my Yahoo account, went to the Firewall settings from the 2Wire website, opened up allowing access from a newly added Palm VNC Application, I got my IP # from no-ip, but I did not set up an account with No-Ip (what am I setting up? - there seem to be a couple options). I do not know if Yahoo changes IP often... I need step by step, so much of this is way over my head. Win Hand was sooooo simple... but I'm dying to try VNC.

VNC asks for PAssword?.... which password??

after you install the software on PC and palm.
    Already Installed

first thing I would do, is set up your router to foward the ports. then find out what IP your ISP has given you. Set up a connection on palmvnc. can you make a connection? if yes, then decide if you want the convinience of knowing you can connect no matter what your IP is.
    I have no idea where to begin to do "the first thing". Do I go to the router website, Firewall Settings?.... Should I call Developer, ISP, PC Manufaturer for this? Tried setting up PalmVNC Connection using IP # from no-ip.

It ain't workin' but I'm assuming it's all my fault.

Thanks for your help though!!
    Jeffhas,

(you might wanna grab a coffee for this one).

Here is how it works. Currently, you're computer is able to go to the interweb through a process we call Network Address Translation. This process involves your Router and your DSL modem. WHat happens is that your DSL modem only supports ONE network device to be hooked up to it. Your router assumes that role, it assumes an IP address(internet Protocol Address, which is unique to that object in that network). Since your router is able to connect to the interweb, it also has a specific function to TRANSLATE all request coming for PCs hooked up to it to the outside world. Think of it as a representative of whatever computers are on your network. you could have several PCs hooked up to your Router but your modem only sees requests from from the router not the PCs. As far as the modem is concerned it does not know about the other PCs because all the transactions are being translated. The router is able to do this by being able to connect to two different networks (aka subnets) and bridging them. It will have one external IP and one internal IP. The external IP talks to your DSL modem, and the internal IP talks to all PCs connected to it (in your house).

For your to be able to use VNC to control a PC on your network you need to forward ports that VNC uses. Which means that when you connect VNC using your treo to your IP, your modem will send the request to your router's external IP (since that is the actually device with the IP). Most inbound requests are blocked on the router for security reasons, so if there's incomming traffic that we want to use, we have to specifically tell the router to allow it and what to do with it. In VNC's case we forward a certain Range of ports to an internal IP (your PCs).

Forwarding Ports: That is usually done through the web admin console of your router (webpage setup), under firewall or port forwarding. What you need to do is specify a Range of ports that will be forwarded to a specific IP(this process is called Network Address Translation). To complete this process, you'll need two Pieces of information:
    1) the IP of the computer you want to control
    2) The range of ports needed to forward.
    To get your PCs IP, go to Start Run and type in "CMD" without the quotes. You should get a command shell window (AKA DOS window). At this point type "IPCONFIG" without the quotes. you should get an output with several different values. the one we want is "IP Address". That is your computer's IP address (unique Address in a subnet), and that is the IP we will use to forward the ports to.
    All you need to do now is go to your router's Web Admin Page (usually you can open up IE and type the internal IP of your router).

For the no-ip.com account, you will most likely need one. SBC yahoo doesnt give out static IPS in their standard DSL package. What happens is everyonce in a while your External IP will change for whatever reasons. In this case you need to be able to reference a semi static address, which is where no-ip.com comes in. It will map a name address (such as blademonkey.no-ip.com) to an IP address (like 192.168.1.1). If your IP changes then the software points the name address to the new IP. it works quite well. So go ahead and get an account. that is the address you'll specify in VNC to connect to.

I have to head to work right now but i'll continue once I arrive.

I hope this helps. let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blademonkey

For the no-ip.com account, you will most likely need one. ....
    However, as previously stated no-ip.com does not appear to work with PalmVNC. This is just one more thing to go wrong for a newbie. Id recommend making sure it works on your IP first and then start playing around with no-ip etc.
    no-ip.com did not work for me. dyndns.org did. I don't know if it made a difference, but dyndns.org was a default choice in my netgear router's control panel for Dynamic DNS service, so I put in the dyndns user and host name in there as well as setting up the port forwarding.
    Jeffhas,

(you might wanna grab a coffee for this one).
    It appears something stronger is definitely in order!

Here is how it works. Currently, you're computer is able to go to the interweb through a process we call Network Address Translation. This process involves your Router and your DSL modem. WHat happens is that your DSL modem only supports ONE network device to be hooked up to it. Your router assumes that role, it assumes an IP address(internet Protocol Address, which is unique to that object in that network). Since your router is able to connect to the interweb, it also has a specific function to TRANSLATE all request coming for PCs hooked up to it to the outside world. Think of it as a representative of whatever computers are on your network. you could have several PCs hooked up to your Router but your modem only sees requests from from the router not the PCs. As far as the modem is concerned it does not know about the other PCs because all the transactions are being translated. The router is able to do this by being able to connect to two different networks (aka subnets) and bridging them. It will have one external IP and one internal IP. The external IP talks to your DSL modem, and the internal IP talks to all PCs connected to it (in your house).

For your to be able to use VNC to control a PC on your network you need to forward ports that VNC uses. Which means that when you connect VNC using your treo to your IP, your modem will send the request to your router's external IP (since that is the actually device with the IP). Most inbound requests are blocked on the router for security reasons, so if there's incomming traffic that we want to use, we have to specifically tell the router to allow it and what to do with it. In VNC's case we forward a certain Range of ports to an internal IP (your PCs).
    You might as well be talkin' Russian to me... some of this I get, some not.... BUT I DO APPRECIATE YOU HELPING ME IN SETTING THIS UP. Remote Access is important to me... I'll catch on to most of this soon enough.

Forwarding Ports: That is usually done through the web admin console of your router (webpage setup), under firewall or port forwarding. What you need to do is specify a Range of ports that will be forwarded to a specific IP(this process is called Network Address Translation). To complete this process, you'll need two Pieces of information:
    1) the IP of the computer you want to control
    2) The range of ports needed to forward.
    Got one out of two.... IP was easy with your help. Setting up forwarding Ports, not so easy. My router webpage setup has a page dealing with firewall, it walks through allowing access through the firewall through various applications. There is a list of available applications, VNC is already listed, and I can set up custom applications to be allowed access through the firewall as well. I have added VNC to the applications available to go through my firewall, and it now shows VNC as an allowable application with a public IP of 69.108.71.92, (this is obviously not my IP, which I gained from the cmd/IPconfig instructions you gave me) It also states TCP protocol, ports numbers 5500, 5800, and 5900 are referenced separately But, there seems to be no directory as to 'forwarding ports'

To get your PCs IP, go to Start Run and type in "CMD" without the quotes. You should get a command shell window (AKA DOS window). At this point type "IPCONFIG" without the quotes. you should get an output with several different values. the one we want is "IP Address". That is your computer's IP address (unique Address in a subnet), and that is the IP we will use to forward the ports to..
    Got this. No prob here.

[All you need to do now is go to your router's Web Admin Page (usually you can open up IE and type the internal IP of your router)..
    Went there, see above, stuck

For the no-ip.com account, you will most likely need one. SBC yahoo doesnt give out static IPS in their standard DSL package. What happens is everyonce in a while your External IP will change for whatever reasons. In this case you need to be able to reference a semi static address, which is where no-ip.com comes in. It will map a name address (such as blademonkey.no-ip.com) to an IP address (like 192.168.1.1). If your IP changes then the software points the name address to the new IP. it works quite well. So go ahead and get an account. that is the address you'll specify in VNC to connect to.
    When I log into No-ip, am I setting up a host/redirect?... I started this, but don't know if I should mark the circle, 'DNS Host', or 'Port 80 redirect'... or something else even (web redirect?)... Then do I 'assign to groups' or 'allow wildcards'??... I'm lost at this point.... Told you... SLLLOOOOOWWWWW!!!!

I have to head to work right now but i'll continue once I arrive.

I hope this helps. let me know.
    Thanks for helping me, I seem stalled at this point... Do your work, if you have any time later, it is greatly appreciated.

I'm sure I am cannot be the only one this slow, so if succesful, we can post our dialog as "VNC for Morons"... I'm willing to accept that title for now... and maybe it will help others.
    I'm will write a follow up a bit later, work is crazy busy. As for the VNC for morons I am actually trying to write an online FAQ for the treo650 for beginers and advanced users so this not only helps you, but helps me as well. {= )

Now we just have to get it working. It would help if you had the model number of your router so I could reference the web page, or maybe screenshots. I will download the no-ip client tonight and test it out.

Best of luck.

-Blademonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM
    no-ip.com did not work for me. dyndns.org did. I don't know if it made a difference, but dyndns.org was a default choice in my netgear router's control panel for Dynamic DNS service, so I put in the dyndns user and host name in there as well as setting up the port forwarding.
    There seem to be others for which no-ip works fine... I'm going with it at this point...

My problem is the basics, understanding 'port forwarding' and why 'redirect', along with the Incoming IP and outgoing IP, which is which, etc.

There is also a DNS sever application that shows up as allowable through my firewall on my router webpage firewall setup screen, but I'll wait to hear form Blademonkey since he has unfortunately taken on the task of educating me.

'This is VNC for Dummies' ... others will follow, given WinHands new situation.

THANKS ALL!!
    I'm will write a follow up a bit later, work is crazy busy. As for the VNC for morons I am actually trying to write an online FAQ for the treo650 for beginers and advanced users so this not only helps you, but helps me as well. {= )

Now we just have to get it working. It would help if you had the model number of your router so I could reference the web page, or maybe screenshots. I will download the no-ip client tonight and test it out.

Best of luck.

-Blademonkey

2Wire Homeportal 1000HW.

Webpage is gateway.2wire.net

Let me know what else you need.
    no ip works fine with palm vnc, if you follow bm's post to the tee you can't go wrong. It took me a couple days to get it but it ended up being the port forwarding issue that was getting me. Check, Check, and re-check. It works, you are just doing something wrong. Good luck!!!!
    Treoseur
    Quote Originally Posted by jhat3k1
    no ip works fine with palm vnc, if you follow bm's post to the tee you can't go wrong...
    No it does not. I have a lot of experience with port forwarding and the various settings in the router and the fact of the matter is that most of us are having problems with 'no-ip' . I feel for the newbie its better to use the actual ip of the PC just until you have a PalmVNV connection, THEN start playing around with 'no-ip' etc. To say something works fine when from reports from others are to the contrary is to pile confusion on top of confusion.
    Jeffhas,

Please reference the attached Diagram. Took me a while to make because im not the best at Visio.

Please take note of the four different Subnets. In each subnet, every device will have an unique IP address. In the case of your Modem and router, they will have two IP Addresses each (Since the DSL Modem is part of Subnet B and C, and the Router is part of Subnet C and D).
    Also note the Teal and Burgundy double arrows, we shall refer to the Teal as the Blue arrow and the Burgundy as the Red arrow. The blue arrow represents the data path of all requests going to your external IP address (Or your NO-IP.com address). The Red arrow shows the data path of that request once it gets forwarded to your internal IP.

The VNC software package is two folds: A VNC Client application is installed on the Device (PC or Palm) that will do the controlling, and a VNC Server application is installed on a Device (PC or Server) that will be controlled. The VNC applications communicate with each other using a network protocol called TCP/IP (you can read up on the specifics of the this protocol on wikipedia.com). The TCP/IP protocol is setup is such a way that is segments itself is many different ports so that similar types of applications could use the same ports (For Example, web servers use port 80 and FTP server use port 21 by default).

This is all configurable but as way to standardize things they are usually left alone. When you go to a webpage, like google you are actually going to a server that has a webpage configured on port 80, it just so happens that web browsers AUTOMATICALLY look at the port 80. VNC uses the following range of ports 5800-5999. That range is what we could consider "reserved" for the VNC application, just like port 80 is "reserved" for web pages.

The main reason why we HAVE to forward ports is that the actual device that your Treo tries to contact is the one holding the external IP. In your case it is your 2wire Router. Since the VNC server is NOT installed on the router, then the router will not respond to the VNC client. What we want to do is redirect or forward all the requests coming from the range of ports that are "reserved" (5800-5999) for the VNC application to the Device that has the VNC server installed and configured. In this case, the VNC server is your PC.

The internal IP I was refering to is the IP address of your PC on Subnet D. This IP is the one we have to forward the requests to.
    The External IP I was referring to is the IP address of the Router, or the ip address or name of your no-ip.com account.

I hope that clears out the conceptual issues. now I think I'll need some screenshots of your router's firewall config to see what's going. Let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Blademonkey; 03/28/2005 at 08:19 PM.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast