1.    #1  
    ever since having 650 (even before FW update) I have had intermittant problem w/ screen brightness randomly dimming a few notches all on its own despite being set & staying @ max setting.. I have no app screen modifying feature enabled. I have no idea what's causing it and what related to.. don't know if its an overheat issue or what. anyone else experiencing this flakyness w/screen brightness? help please.. I really don't want to have to exchange it.. never know..may end up w/worse problems considering treo shoddy quality control.
    TIA.. john
  2.    #2  
    btw.. it dims slightly.. brightens.. dims..etc.. like a slow flicker.. plus my screen not seem quite as bright as what I remember when I 1st got it. seems only reaches max brightness during one of its "flickering" fits... not normally as bright on max setting..
    I'm puzzled.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    I have noticed my screen does not seem as bright as when I first got also. With no measurements taken it could just be perception. I don't have your flicker problem though.
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    i know on my treo. if i turn it down (which i usually do when im at the movies) i notice that periodically the screen wont come back on but the keypad lights will light up. i have to toggle the power button a few times to get it to light up again. anybody else ever have problems like that
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoDaddeo6
    i know on my treo. if i turn it down (which i usually do when im at the movies) i notice that periodically the screen wont come back on but the keypad lights will light up. i have to toggle the power button a few times to get it to light up again. anybody else ever have problems like that
    I've occassionaly had those problems and the one johnski1969 mentioned. I haven't had the flickering issue though. Usually it comes back after powering on/off a few times or fiddling with the brightness control. It is annoying.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I had that problem before but realized that it was because I had a program called mLights. After uninstalling it, the problem is gone. Are you using any program that controls backlight/keyboard light?
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    I have no 3rd party app for the screen brightness, but I do have Johnski's problem. Especially after surfing the internet for a long time. I figure my baby's tired and wants a nap. I take a break and it doesn't happen again until I surf for a long time again. Could it be an overheating problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    Could it be an overheating problem?
    I'm wondering the same thing. When mine flaked-out on me today, it was after I had been streaming Shoutcast for about 2-hours. The screen was off most of the time. I've been streaming from my 650 a lot lately since we can no longer do that over our work network. After extended sessions the 650 is pretty warm to the touch. I'll have to keep an eye on what event precedes the dimming. It's very inconsistent since I've been streaming for a while (650 getting hot each time) and the dimming happens infrequently.

I use KBLights but it seems like there are reports of this problem regardless of whether you run any kind of lighting program.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I've also had this problem for more than week now. I'm not using any third party sortware.
    I'm using KBLights, but that's probably not it, right? Mine is also very warm after awhile. I also notice it usually happens after the battery gets low and I surf while using the charger.
  11.    #11  
    exactly same w/me... everything u said.. likely heat prob...
    I use a leather flip case..wonder if that is retaining heat... u guys use a case?
    I have a a once-in-a-while problem whehere my backlight does not come on when I turn on my 650. I correct it by pushing OPTION-P and changing the screen brightness, then bringing it back to the original level. That always corrected the problem.
    I actually use a skin case INSIDE the PalmOne Form Fit case. Maybe I'm over swaddling. I'm just worried about scratches and such.