1.    #1  
    There's been a lot of discussion about how to watch movies on the Treo 650. Just thought I would start a thread about the best way to go about it. Some people swear by the Mactheripper/Dvision/MMPlayer route, while others say Kinoma is the way to go.
    What are your thoughts/experiences? What is the best pathway? What is the best bitrate, framerate, etc.? How can users take advantage of possible down time to watch The Incredibles for the fourth time as opposed to contemplate their place in the universe?
    The old thread seemed to be dying down and there are a lot of us out there that are still needing more information.
    All thanks to George for the info previously provided...
    Thanks!
    I have only watched one and that was Ocean's 12. It was an in-theater recording and someone had already been nice enough to encode it with DivX and the proper low resolution.

What I would love to find is a linux command line tool to reencode and resize videos
    My best videos have come from the use of Kinoma Producer and Kinoma Player EX. With Kinoma I get true mpeg4 with AAC sound quality. I find both the picture and sound are excellent. The voice is always in sync with the frames and I never get any static or pixelation.

I can use 2 methods:

The Handbrake method --
    1 - Handbrake (freeware) extracts DVD to form mpeg4 video.
    2 - Kinoma Producer takes the resulting video from Handbrake and converts it to play true mpeg4 video and AAC sound in a specific setting for the Treo 650. No need to try to figure out the setting by testing frame rates, etc., Kinoma has done all the work so that you just select your device and the settings are already included in Kinoma.
    3 - Play the resulting video with Kinoma Player.

The MacTheRipper / DVision 3 Method --
    1 - MacTheRipper (freeware) extracts DVD to form video TS files.
    2 - DVision 3 (freeware) to take the video TS files and convert to avi.
    3 - Kinoma Producer takes the resulting video from DVision 3 and converts it to play true mpeg4 video and AAC sound in a specific setting for the Treo 650. No need to try to figure out the setting by testing frame rates, etc., Kinoma has done all the work so that you just select your device and the settings are already included in Kinoma.
    4 - Play the resulting video with Kinoma Player.
    What about with MMplayer/FFmpegX and the 650? I cannot get Division and?MMplayer to work. It is very grainy. What settings are you all using? thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    My best videos have come from the use of Kinoma Producer and Kinoma Player EX. With Kinoma I get true mpeg4 with AAC sound quality. I find both the picture and sound are excellent. The voice is always in sync with the frames and I never get any static or pixelation.

I can use 2 methods:

The Handbrake method --
    1 - Handbrake (freeware) extracts DVD to form mpeg4 video.
    2 - Kinoma Producer takes the resulting video from Handbrake and converts it to play true mpeg4 video and AAC sound in a specific setting for the Treo 650. No need to try to figure out the setting by testing frame rates, etc., Kinoma has done all the work so that you just select your device and the settings are already included in Kinoma.
    3 - Play the resulting video with Kinoma Player.

The MacTheRipper / DVision 3 Method --
    1 - MacTheRipper (freeware) extracts DVD to form video TS files.
    2 - DVision 3 (freeware) to take the video TS files and convert to avi.
    3 - Kinoma Producer takes the resulting video from DVision 3 and converts it to play true mpeg4 video and AAC sound in a specific setting for the Treo 650. No need to try to figure out the setting by testing frame rates, etc., Kinoma has done all the work so that you just select your device and the settings are already included in Kinoma.
    4 - Play the resulting video with Kinoma Player.
    Does HandBrake work with windows? How would I do this in Windows environment??
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdldy
    Does HandBrake work with windows? How would I do this in Windows environment??
    No. Handbrake is for Mac. There are other post through a search of the forums that would indicate how to get from a DVD to an mpeg4 or AVI file in windows.
    I sync my T650 to my work laptop, which uses Windows XP, but I've got my workhorse G5 at home, which I know would rip and encode faster. Do you think it would be a problem to rip and encode using any of the above methods on my G5, use Card Export to load them onto an SD card, and then play them on either Kinoma or MMPlayer?
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Using the G5 would work fine - I've used my G4 (I know, I'm behind the Apple times). I have a card reader that I put the SD card in and just drop the file into the Kinomo folder on the SD card. Additionally, Quicktime has a Kinoma preset in it - I just found it the other day but haven't used it yet.