Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There's been a lot of discussion about how to watch movies on the Treo 650. Just thought I would start a thread about the best way to go about it. Some people swear by the Mactheripper/Dvision/MMPlayer route, while others say Kinoma is the way to go.
    What are your thoughts/experiences? What is the best pathway? What is the best bitrate, framerate, etc.? How can users take advantage of possible down time to watch The Incredibles for the fourth time as opposed to contemplate their place in the universe?
    Thanks!
    My best videos have come from the use of Kinoma Producer and Kinoma Player EX. With Kinoma I get true mpeg4 with AAC sound quality. I find both the picture and sound are excellent. The voice is always in sync with the frames and I never get any static or pixelation.

I can use 2 methods on my Mac:

The Handbrake method --
    1 - Handbrake (freeware) extracts DVD to form mpeg4 video.
    2 - Kinoma Producer takes the resulting video from Handbrake and converts it to play true mpeg4 video and AAC sound in a specific setting for the Treo 650. No need to try to figure out the setting by testing frame rates, etc., Kinoma has done all the work so that you just select your device and the settings are already included in Kinoma.
    3 - Play the resulting video with Kinoma Player.

The MacTheRipper / DVision 3 Method --
    1 - MacTheRipper (freeware) extracts DVD to form video TS files.
    2 - DVision 3 (freeware) to take the video TS files and convert to avi.
    3 - Kinoma Producer takes the resulting video from DVision 3 and converts it to play true mpeg4 video and AAC sound in a specific setting for the Treo 650. No need to try to figure out the setting by testing frame rates, etc., Kinoma has done all the work so that you just select your device and the settings are already included in Kinoma.
    4 - Play the resulting video with Kinoma Player.
    How much memory does the resulting mp4 video take up for say a 2hr movie?
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    My favorite way is to drop the media file in the palm installer tool (install to SD card) and let it do the conversions. Then just play the file with the Treo Camcoder App.
    It depends upon the source of the movie. DVDs or timeshifted TV shows (dailyshow) are my two main sources.

My WinTV card saves the TV show as an MPEG file (I have the range of choices from mpeg1 to mpeg4 with bit rate presets for VCD up to DVD). If I capture a show as VCD (mpeg1) I can simply copy that file to the SD card, put it on the DCIM folder (where Pictures & Movies looks for files) and watch it as is using the Pictures & Movies application.

If I want to capture the TV show at a higher resolution (say DVD quality) then I'll convert the mpeg4 file and watch it on the Treo using the SmartMovie tools.

For a DVD I'll use http://www.pqdvd.com/watch_dvd_on_pocket_pc.html. and mmplayer.

For playback I've been happier with the smartmovie player since a phone call can interupt the movie and the movie can be restarted from where I left off. I've had mmplayer lock up the phone if the phone goes to sleep with mmplayer as the active app.
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Couldn't you skip steps 24 and use QuickTime Pro to save/reduce/optimize the appropriate .3gpp file and view it in Media Viewer (or whatever the onboard app. on the Treo is?) Plus, converting and resampling from the source --> .avi --> Kinoma results in quality loss (recompression)?

Haven't tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Katway

The MacTheRipper / DVision 3 Method --
    1 - MacTheRipper (freeware) extracts DVD to form video TS files.
    2 - DVision 3 (freeware) to take the video TS files and convert to avi.
    3 - Kinoma Producer takes the resulting video from DVision 3 and converts it to play true mpeg4 video and AAC sound in a specific setting for the Treo 650. No need to try to figure out the setting by testing frame rates, etc., Kinoma has done all the work so that you just select your device and the settings are already included in Kinoma.
    4 - Play the resulting video with Kinoma Player.
    I encode my DVD's with PocketDVD. Then I run the .avi through SmartMovie Converter on my desktop. Copy the movie to my SD card and watch using SmartMovie.

File size is around 160mb for a 2 hour movie. And best of all, the audio/video sync!

I have done around 20 DVD's and all have played great on my T650 using SmartMovie.
    Quote Originally Posted by iomatic
    Couldn't you skip steps 24 and use QuickTime Pro to save/reduce/optimize the appropriate .3gpp file and view it in Media Viewer (or whatever the onboard app. on the Treo is?) Plus, converting and resampling from the source --> .avi --> Kinoma results in quality loss (recompression)?

Haven't tried it.
    I used QT Pro to create 3GP files and their quality is awful compared to Kinoma using mpeg4 with AAC sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I encode my DVD's with PocketDVD. Then I run the .avi through SmartMovie Converter on my desktop. Copy the movie to my SD card and watch using SmartMovie.

File size is around 160mb for a 2 hour movie. And best of all, the audio/video sync!

I have done around 20 DVD's and all have played great on my T650 using SmartMovie.
    I have many 700Mb DivX and Xvid encoded movies, can smartmovie encode those the same way it encodes dvds into treo playable files?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    JohnH59, what are you settings for smartmovie?
    Quote Originally Posted by question
    I have many 700Mb DivX and Xvid encoded movies, can smartmovie encode those the same way it encodes dvds into treo playable files?

I think it will. I have some movies that I know are in DivX format that it did encode. Of course there are different versions of DivX On movies that are around 700mb, I have been able to get those down to around 225mb after going through SmartMovie Converter.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdyoyo
    JohnH59, what are you settings for smartmovie?

The attachement shows my last setting for the movie "Without A Paddle". With these settings the audio sounded great and the audio/video were in sync. I watched the movie last week going to Washington DC. I also did "Welcome to Mooseport" with these same settings and it turned out great as well. I did another movie in which I did the encoding with PocketDVD using the resolution of 320 x 240 and there was not any noticeable difference in quality after going through SmartMovie Encoder.

I have the video resolution in SmartMovie Converter set to 320 x 320.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    can someone post me a link to get smartmovie
    STAR TAC w/TIMPORT ORGANIZER>I300>I330>TREO600>TREO650>TREO700>TREO755P
    Quote Originally Posted by mr2dxtream
    can someone post me a link to get smartmovie

http://www.lonelycatgames.com/

I will say, although I think the program is great, there have been a couple of guys that have had trouble getting the unlock key to work. There is information on their website about this.

You get the unlock key for the desktop converter from the Palm app. There is a menu option called "Unlock Converter". You enter you Registration Key in that utility and it generates an unlock code for the desktop app. But, like I said, I have heard of a few people having trouble getting the unlock key to work. It worked instantly for me. I purchased the program and I received an email from Handago with my registration key. I put it in the Palm App and the unlock code worked just fine.
    Pretty simplistic program. How's the player ? Installed player but it didn't work.
    Player works great for me. I travel quite a bit and watch movies on flights all the time.
    I second smartmovie. Used it on johnh59's recommendation, and it definitely works. really easy to use (converter + player in one).
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    MMPlayer all the way!

I tried Kinoma, it was horrible.

I use avidemux under Linux for reencoding. The latest CVS versions have some nice new features that help a lot with reencoding for handhelds (one of which I added the preliminary code for.)
    I use Kinoma. Works fien and produced better results at least for me than MMPlayer. Sync and image were better in Kinoma. (This is version 3. Version 2 wasn't as good and files took up 2x MMPlayer files)
    Thanks for starting this thread and shedding some light on this, Mag...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast