Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1.    #1  
    I can't believe this. I ran into a problem with the upgrade (phone went into an endless reset loop) so I called sprint for tech support. The tier 2 rep told me that the upgrade was "burning out the ROM" and sprint doesn't want people to install it. They told me I need to go to a sprint store and get a new phone!

    Has anyone else heard this from Sprint?
  2. #2  
    Sounds like more confusing information from Sprint support if you ask me.

    You should try calling again and see what they tell you if you act like you've never called about this before. (They are so confused they won't know you already called or what you were told the first time.)

    Then try a 3rd time.

    If you get the same story 3 times in a row then "maybe" it is correct. But I'm thinking you might get 3 different stories .

    Did you make sure you had 11MB free? Just asking since the instructions mention that might cause the reset issues. Maybe try freeing up even more than 11MB if you can.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulshu
    I can't believe this. I ran into a problem with the upgrade (phone went into an endless reset loop) so I called sprint for tech support. The tier 2 rep told me that the upgrade was "burning out the ROM" and sprint doesn't want people to install it. They told me I need to go to a sprint store and get a new phone!

    Has anyone else heard this from Sprint?
    Bottom line...

    If sprint did not want people updating then the update wold not be on palmone's web site.

    My gues is he has some small inkling of the shadowmite roms from a memo or prior experience or something and is drawing on that wealth of knowledge to advise you to avoid an OFFICIAL update.
  4. #4  
    burning out the ROM


    lololol
  5. jkoons's Avatar
    Posts
    215 Posts
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    #5  
    The update is still on their website (http://www.palmone.com/us/support/treo/treo650sprint/). If it were 'burning out the ROM', I think they would have removed it by now.
    Sprint PCS Treo 600 & 650
    Verizon Treo 700w
    www.James-K.com
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    burning out the ROM


    lololol
    Mine's been burnt out for years. Can't remember a darned thing.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  7. #7  
    What's ROM?

    LOL
  8. #8  
    Was going through a tunnel at the time, but I could have swore a
    Sprint rep told me that I should up and date your 108 year old burned out MOM.
  9. aldamon's Avatar
    Posts
    650 Posts
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    #9  
    1.08 burned up us the ROM. For great justice!
  10. #10  
    I agree with Darnell, you call three times you will get three different answers, and I bet no of those are correct either. This is from my experiences with Sprint's support. Thank goodness for this forum and trial and error.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
  11. #11  
    I thought I was smelling my own smoldering good looks, but now I see I'm clearly smelling my frying T650 ROM.

    This is your phone. This is your phone on v.108. Any questions?
  12. #12  
    Here's another classic example of weak communication between Sprint reps on handling issues:
    ---------
    Next time you have to call Sprint, if a Sprint Rep transfers you to a different person, as soon as you speak to that 2nd person ask them who the first rep was that just transfered the call. They won't have a clue who it was or what they said. I thought every phone with a transfer function these days at least showed who the transfer was coming from.

    You can say "well the guy I just spoke to said" and they have no clue who that was. Plus they have no way of knowing what was said outside of what you tell them was said.
    ---------

    They are so confused you'd think they were using styrofoam cups and strings to communicate .

    And yea that "burning ROM" story sounds fishy too. Last time I checked ROM was not a piece of hardware .

    Reminds me of when friend who knew nothing about web sites was asking me for advice and said that a web consultant told him "You'll have to pay me a monthly fee after I do your web site to keep your graphics fresh. Cause you know the graphics fade and I've got to keep them fresh for you" .
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    And yea that "burning ROM" story sounds fishy too. Last time I checked ROM was not a piece of hardware
    Actually, it is. ROM is "Read-Only Memory", though what's in a Treo is probably EEPROM, um, "Electrically-Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory".

    What you've been referring to as "ROM" used to be called a "ROM image" or some variant of that, but things get shortened and morphed and now all of you regular folks (not engineers or technicians) are just calling it ROM.

    Hope that didn't bore the crap out of anyone.

    Tom
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Here's another classic example of weak communication between Sprint reps on handling issues:
    ---------
    Next time you have to call Sprint, if a Sprint Rep transfers you to a different person, as soon as you speak to that 2nd person ask them who the first rep was that just transfered the call. They won't have a clue who it was or what they said. I thought every phone with a transfer function these days at least showed who the transfer was coming from.

    You can say "well the guy I just spoke to said" and they have no clue who that was. Plus they have no way of knowing what was said outside of what you tell them was said.
    ---------
    Well, I guess it's kind of hard to keep up when your call gets transfered from India to Bangladesh
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by VetPsychWars
    Actually, it is. ROM is "Read-Only Memory", though what's in a Treo is probably EEPROM, um, "Electrically-Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory".

    What you've been referring to as "ROM" used to be called a "ROM image" or some variant of that, but things get shortened and morphed and now all of you regular folks (not engineers or technicians) are just calling it ROM.

    Hope that didn't bore the crap out of anyone.

    Tom
    Actually I am an engineer of sorts (Comp Sci BS and MS) . I was considering the image and not the physical memory component but you are correct. Thanks for clearing that up.

    Being a software guy sometimes I'll fumble on the hardware . (Yea I know knowledge of ROM and RAM is pre-101 material... )
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Here's another classic example of weak communication between Sprint reps on handling issues:
    ---------
    Next time you have to call Sprint, if a Sprint Rep transfers you to a different person, as soon as you speak to that 2nd person ask them who the first rep was that just transfered the call. They won't have a clue who it was or what they said. I thought every phone with a transfer function these days at least showed who the transfer was coming from.

    You can say "well the guy I just spoke to said" and they have no clue who that was. Plus they have no way of knowing what was said outside of what you tell them was said.
    What pisses me off is ----- recorded chick: please enter your 10 digit phone number.. beep beep beep beep beep #....... Hello, sprint customer service, what is your 10 digit phone number and password? bla bla bla, ok i'm transfering you to xxx...... Hello, this is putz #2 in xxx department, so we may continue, what is your phone number and password?
  17. #17  
    On another related subject, I tried to install the firmware upgrade, got an error message, called Palmone was referred three times, the third finally said to call Pumatech that it was Intellisynch screwing up the works - Called Pumatech they said the upgrade is incompatible with Intellisynch. Now what do I do....I guess I can remove Intellisynch but then I wont be able to get my groupwise stuff I dont believe - not that I can download email to the Treo anyway, only calendar and contacts works...aaargh why cant anything be simple?
  18. #18  
    I guess I'm a little confused, what does Intellisync have to do with the 1.08 upgrade working? This one concerns me as well, I used GroupWise exclusively, and although I haven't been syncing my contacts lately, I plan on reinstalling Intellisync soon.
  19. #19  
    Sprint does NOT know the differece between their head and their A**! My thing is how come we all had to find out about the 1.08 update from Un-official Treo site's? They NEVER sent out any kind of notice about this update, not Palm or Sprint!<----See Sprint doesn't even know how to use text meesaging! But they love to charge us, for it!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

    My beer blogs:

    Rev. Rhino on Flickr

    Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by heyknee2
    On another related subject, I tried to install the firmware upgrade, got an error message, called Palmone was referred three times, the third finally said to call Pumatech that it was Intellisynch screwing up the works - Called Pumatech they said the upgrade is incompatible with Intellisynch. Now what do I do....I guess I can remove Intellisynch but then I wont be able to get my groupwise stuff I dont believe - not that I can download email to the Treo anyway, only calendar and contacts works...aaargh why cant anything be simple?
    Sounds fishy to me... I use Intellisync (5.1.2), and didn't have any trouble at all with the upgrade process.
    --
    "I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions