Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    So I finally started from scratch last night. The only apps I installed were DateBk5 and I had no resets. Early this morning I installed pTunes, AcidImage, and Butler - still no problems. I then installed the latest Chatter Beta and got the MemoryMgr.c Line 2659 Chunk over-locked error within 10-minutes. Removed Chatter and it's back to being trouble-free again. When I get home this evening I'll try installing the current non-beta Chatter version and see what happens.

I sent a log to Marc this past weekend and he didn't see anything Chatter-related that would be causing the error. I'm starting to wonder if there is a hardware problem that is only exposed when running Chatter. I've been using Chatter for a while, so why the problem started all of a sudden is a mystery to me. The point is, if Chatter is the only thing that highlights the problem, I can see why people are having problems getting their 650's replaced. This is really annyoing.
    Mark,

I have inter-crash gaps ranging from 20 minutes to 12 hours. So I assume that your gaps are shorter, or that you waited long enough, to ensure that Chatter is not the problem.

I'll try to uninstall Chatter and see what happens. But I'm not using a very recent version (I'm on 1.0.6.2 [88:40]).
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Mark,

I have inter-crash gaps ranging from 20 minutes to 12 hours. So I assume that your gaps are shorter, or that you waited long enough, to ensure that Chatter is not the problem.

I'll try to uninstall Chatter and see what happens. But I'm not using a very recent version (I'm on 1.0.6.2 [88:40]).
    Correct, my crashing gaps are relatively short. I let it run overnight with just DateBk5 and then for a few hours this morning with additional apps. During that time I went in and out of a roaming area, did web browsing and had the device off for about an hour. Now that I'm back to having Chatter off, everything remains stable.
    Isn't there a program that will record incidents of crashes? I could swear I've heard of something like that. If so, you could log for a while then bring your Treo in and have them look at that. Mine will reset about four times an hour, so I won't have to hang around the store long for them to see. Now I just need to find the time to go in. Mine only crashes when sitting idle, so I've been able to muddle through since it works when I'm actively using it.
    I'm using CrashPro to log my crashes. So far, with Chatter set to QSync ever 30 minutes, no "chunk over-locked" crashes.
    I set my account to QSync only and still get the error. My 650 is definately unhappy with Chatter :-(. I'm going to see if I can get a replacement this weekend. Maybe a resolution will appear before then. The device is otherwise running fine, so this is pretty discouraging.
    Mark,

This is not what I experienced. I had these crashes after a hard reset. (after 6 hours, though). I just checked my error log and it apears the 650 was crashing 3-4 times per hour overnight with the full complement of apps.

Hopefully the log is enough to convince the Sprint techs that something is wrong. And again, I've been able to reproduce this problem without having Chatter installed after a hard reset.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Success!

I did a hard reset and then reinstalled CrashPro to log crashes. I took the log and the Treo into the Sprint Store, and am expecting a replacement sometime early next week.

It DOES crash after hard reset, just not as often (hours apart sometimes, but very quickly when idle).
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Success!

I did a hard reset and then reinstalled CrashPro to log crashes. I took the log and the Treo into the Sprint Store, and am expecting a replacement sometime early next week.

It DOES crash after hard reset, just not as often (hours apart sometimes, but very quickly when idle).
    Good deal! I'll try CrashPro and see what happens. I have been able to get stability with Chatter (no more chunk errors) by disconnecting from the network when I exit Chatter. If I don't do that, the subject error happens after a few minutes when I turn the device off. Interestingly, if I stay connected to the network after web browsing then turn off the device, I have no problems. Doing this hasn't been too much of an inconvienience but it does eliminate the instant e-mail capabilities I was getting with the Chatter and FastMail combo.

Anyway, hope your problems are about to be resolved. Maybe I'll wait for your results before taking mine in next week.
    Good deal! I'll try CrashPro and see what happens. I have been able to get stability with Chatter (no more chunk errors) by disconnecting from the network when I exit Chatter. If I don't do that, the subject error happens after a few minutes when I turn the device off. Interestingly, if I stay connected to the network after web browsing then turn off the device, I have no problems. Doing this hasn't been too much of an inconvienience but it does eliminate the instant e-mail capabilities I was getting with the Chatter and FastMail combo.

Anyway, hope your problems are about to be resolved. Maybe I'll wait for your results before taking mine in next week.

MarkY,

The Chatter phenomenon is interesting, but it doesn't explain why my Treo crashes 4x an hour overnight (25 crashes while idle for 6-7 hours), but ONLY 6-7 times the other 17 hours of the day.
    On my Treo, it appears that Verichat is causing my "MemoryMgr.c Line 2659 Chunk over-locked error" with the MMNotify app. I re-installed my Verichat last night from my backup and the error started occurring every hour or so. I again removed Verichat and the frequent error stopped. I still get some infrequent crashes, but not regular Chunk over-locked errors. Verichat must have some interface with Versamail, as the MMNotify is part of Versamail. Maybe I'll try a fresh install of Verichat to see if the problem is related to the preference and db files I restored with Verichat.

Nate
    Quote Originally Posted by nswenson
    On my Treo, it appears that Verichat is causing my "MemoryMgr.c Line 2659 Chunk over-locked error" with the MMNotify app. I re-installed my Verichat last night from my backup and the error started occurring every hour or so. I again removed Verichat and the frequent error stopped. I still get some infrequent crashes, but not regular Chunk over-locked errors. Verichat must have some interface with Versamail, as the MMNotify is part of Versamail. Maybe I'll try a fresh install of Verichat to see if the problem is related to the preference and db files I restored with Verichat.

Nate
    Nate - any results from your testing? I'm having the same issue with MMNotify being the reported culprit of my constant "Chunk over-locked error" resets. I also have Verichat installed and was having issues with it a while back. I'd be interested in hearing what you've found to date.

Tim
    The only interaction I can see between Verichat and Versamail is that Verichat can use Versamail as a mail helper for the purpose of sending chat logs to your email address. Try disabling the log send features in Verichat and see if that helps any.

HTH

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    To close the loop on this one for me...My issue turned out to be hardware related. I was getting "chunk over-locked" errors constantly throughout the day. The errors seemed to point to Versamail as being the culprit (MMNotify, typically), but even after deleting my VM accounts, I still received the errors. I tried deleting other programs as well without success. So finally I gave in and called for a replacement. I have had my replacement now for 5 days without a reset. My replacement has the EXACT same image as my old treo because I loaded it using a backup from Backupbuddy.

My suggestion to anyone having similar issues, try a replacement. As mentioned before, this may be related to corrupt RAM.
    This is the exact same thing that happened to me. I was getting 3-5 resets a day, and did the same thing: delete my {single} Versamail account, even going as far as to reload everything and run 'clean' for a few days, and not use Versamail.. Same results..

They replaced it, and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by treotim
    To close the loop on this one for me...My issue turned out to be hardware related. I was getting "chunk over-locked" errors constantly throughout the day. The errors seemed to point to Versamail as being the culprit (MMNotify, typically), but even after deleting my VM accounts, I still received the errors. I tried deleting other programs as well without success. So finally I gave in and called for a replacement. I have had my replacement now for 5 days without a reset. My replacement has the EXACT same image as my old treo because I loaded it using a backup from Backupbuddy.

My suggestion to anyone having similar issues, try a replacement. As mentioned before, this may be related to corrupt RAM.
    The replacement also solved all my problems, no (unintentional) crashes with the replacement. (I had some issues with Chatter not getting along with RLock, but I resolved that problem in a hurry). I also restored from a BackupMan image, so it's definitely hardware-related.
    One of the techs at PCS Tier III marked my account that I am elegible for a unit swap next time I am by a Sprint store (after many "passed" unit tests in stores).

We'll see if this works.
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Started getting "Chunk over-locked" a few weeks ago, usually pointing at MMNotify. Tried various things but no luck, took it to Sprint, they pointed at the plastic screen protector "maybe confusing the sensors" and at Technician "known issues", did a hard reset, and there were no crashes.
    I loaded VeriChat, in Always On SMS mode, and got the crashes again. Finally loaded a custom Sprint 1.12 ROM without Versamail, no crashes. Put back VeriChat, had a buddy send me IMs, noticed it crashed whenever it was powered off and an IM was sent (i.e. when I should be receiving an SMS). Tried different versions of VeriChat. Finally had to turn off Always On (and convince the server that I was logged off) - no crashes.
    After several days, installed Chatter. Crashes every 10-30 minutes, still "Chunk over-locked", usually pointing at Chatter. Went into Chatter and did Shutdown Chatter Email, and the crashes stopped.
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbah
    Started getting "Chunk over-locked" a few weeks ago, usually pointing at MMNotify. Tried various things but no luck, took it to Sprint, they pointed at the plastic screen protector "maybe confusing the sensors"
    Are you serious!
    Screen protectors causing MemoryMgr.c errors! What next?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Out of the blue my 650 began resetting itself on a regular basis, as often as every 20 minutes. I used Crash Pro which helped me document the frequency. Each time the crash cause: "MemoryMgr.c Line 2679, Chunk over-locked". I went to the Sprint store, and they gave me the number to Tier II support. The tech with Tier II support said the error was a memory error and hence "definitely software related". He said a program was corrupted, told me to rename the backup folder and perform a hard-reset. As I expected, he was wrong and I still experienced the same errors, even after I wiped the Treo. I also was now getting memory full errors when trying to hotsynch files, even though the Treo was practically empty.

I took the Treo back to the store and they replaced it after the tech reported my phone "had issues". Who knows what they really do test the phone. The replacement one so far has not experienced a single problem since! Does any one have any idea what is causing this?
    Same issue, P1's Oz support (prob in India or somewhere by the sounds of it) identified hardware immediately after being told I'd tried everything ... took a week to get the replacement but it's all good now.

The moral of the story is ... ring Palm for support, get a case ID, give your retailer the case ID and tell them to swap it ... not test it, swap it!
    --
    j.
    Motorola 1100 (Beige!) -> Nokia 1610 -> Nokia 2110i -> Ericsson GH688 (x3) -> Motorola StarTac Xe (x4) -> Motorola ? (some old CDMA brick) -> Ericsson T28 (+ Palm V) -> Ericsson T10 (+ Palm V) -> Nokia 6210 (+ Palm Vx) -> Sony Ericsson T610 (+ Palm Vx) -> Pa1mOne Treo 650
    Like others in the thread, I tried weeks of troubleshooting various application combinations to no avail. Finally convinced Sprint to replace the Treo and I have not had one reset since.

Definately a hardware issue, although it was not easy to convince the tech at the Sprint store of that.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast