Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm getting a similar message with my Tungsten C while trying to beam apps from my Treo 650 to my Tungsten C. My Treo says something like not enough memory on the receiving unit, and the beam fails. My Tungsten C actually has plenty of space left, so this makes no sense. My Tungsten C has been acting weird lately with freezes and resets too often.
    Quote Originally Posted by neill
    The Chatter developer, Marc Blank, held my hand through countless logs before we ascertained that it was a hardware problem. Save youself further pain and exchange your unit.
    In my case, I think it is chatter, or at least is chatter-related (maybe the problem is a corruption in the hardware but is triggered by some element of chatter). Since deleting the chattermail application, the resets have completely stopped.

It seems like my only remaining options for attempting to use chatter again are to 1) try the 1.12 Sprint update then retry chatter, 2) try the "zero-out" approach (but does that also erase the interface or does it leave the screen visually the same as a "hard reset?) or 3) exchange the unit (would rather not).

Any suggestions?
    so, it seems that at least in my case, the problem definitely relates to chattermail or at least is indirectly connected (might be a hardware problem triggered by chattermail) because after deleting chatter, I have had no reset problems.

So, it seems that if I still want to use chatter, my only remaining option is to a) install the Sprint 1.12 updater and then retry chatter, try the "zero-out" approach and then retry chatter, or 3) exchange unit for a new one (I'd rather not).

Any suggestions?
    I think the problems has to do with system patches (FontsOS5, Butler, etc).

Namely, I've seen it after I turned off the 'fix table.c' errors in FontsOS5. I just turned that option back on, so we'll see how things work. I dread having to get a replacement with who knows how many flaws.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    forgive my ignorance, but what is a "zero-out" reset,is it a hard reset on steroids?? how do you do it ,why/when do you do it(for what reasons)??
    I'm getting the same errors but I'm not convinced it's Chatter. I'll delete that app and see if it helps. There is a thread on this at the Chatter website.
    After sending a log to the Chatter developer, it turns out not to be a Chatter problem. I guess this evening I'll start reloading apps one-by-one and see what happens (bummer). I tried restoring a BackupMan backup from late June (well before my problems started) and still get the same "Chunk" error. Last night I did a hard reset (but didn't reinstall any apps) and let the 650 sit all night and didn't get a reset. Is it possible the corrupt memory segmant just wasn't accessed? Kind of like a bad sector on a hard drive?

Taking it in for replacement will be my next step if reinstalling the apps doesn't work.

My specific error is MemoryMgr.c, Line:2679, Chunk over-locked
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    After sending a log to the Chatter developer, it turns out not to be a Chatter problem. I guess this evening I'll start reloading apps one-by-one and see what happens (bummer). I tried restoring a BackupMan backup from late June (well before my problems started) and still get the same "Chunk" error. Last night I did a hard reset (but didn't reinstall any apps) and let the 650 sit all night and didn't get a reset. Is it possible the corrupt memory segmant just wasn't accessed? Kind of like a bad sector on a hard drive?

Taking it in for replacement will be my next step if reinstalling the apps doesn't work.

My specific error is MemoryMgr.c, Line:2679, Chunk over-locked
    I tried a hard reset (and just had to load one game back ). But I still got the crash and error msg. So I don't think a hard reset will solve all the problems. A zero-out reset maybe?

My error msg is the same, with line 2659.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I tried a hard reset (and just had to load one game back ). But I still got the crash and error msg. So I don't think a hard reset will solve all the problems. A zero-out reset maybe?

My error msg is the same, with line 2659.
    Sorry to hear that, sounds like we are in the same boat . Your report doesn't give me much hope but we'll see how it goes this evening when I can devote some time to this.

Regarding the zero-out reset, I doubt that'll work if this problem is hardware related (bad memory). If I get the same result as you, I'll just suck-it-up and return the device for a replacement. I assume I can just walk into a Sprint store and don't need to deal with phone support first.
    Same error for me. I get it with MMNotify (Versamail). I also get random phone resets with my Pictures and Videos application, including after a hard reset.

I brought mine to a Sprint store where they performed a hard reset. They said they couldn't find anything wrong. I took it home and decided to use it without restoring my applications. Maybe an hour later I tried to take a picture and the phone reset. Now I get another error:

A reset was caused on 7/17/05 at 5:15 pm while running "Camera":

MemoryMgr.c,
    Line:3842, Nil Ptr

I don't what the hell they are testing at the Sprint store. The phone appears to have bad ram judging by the MemoryMgr.c errors. I guess I need to figure out how to reliably reproduce the problem to get them to replace the phone.

Nate
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Sorry to hear that, sounds like we are in the same boat . Your report doesn't give me much hope but we'll see how it goes this evening when I can devote some time to this.

Regarding the zero-out reset, I doubt that'll work if this problem is hardware related (bad memory). If I get the same result as you, I'll just suck-it-up and return the device for a replacement. I assume I can just walk into a Sprint store and don't need to deal with phone support first.

I just took it back and hope to get a replacement in three hours. BTW, a zero-out reset doesn't work (I tried this morning), so it does appear to be a hardware issue. Hopefully there's nothing wrong with the replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by nswenson
    Same error for me. I get it with MMNotify (Versamail). I also get random phone resets with my Pictures and Videos application, including after a hard reset.

I brought mine to a Sprint store where they performed a hard reset. They said they couldn't find anything wrong. I took it home and decided to use it without restoring my applications. Maybe an hour later I tried to take a picture and the phone reset. Now I get another error:

A reset was caused on 7/17/05 at 5:15 pm while running "Camera":

MemoryMgr.c,
    Line:3842, Nil Ptr

I don't what the hell they are testing at the Sprint store. The phone appears to have bad ram judging by the MemoryMgr.c errors. I guess I need to figure out how to reliably reproduce the problem to get them to replace the phone.

Nate
    If they don't give me a replacement, I might go through the roof. I put a sticky on my Treo with the error message, since the person behind the desk was utterly clueless ("If you can still make calls, what's the problem?"). We'll know in two more hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by nswenson

Nate
    Isn't there a program that will record incidents of crashes? I could swear I've heard of something like that. If so, you could log for a while then bring your Treo in and have them look at that. Mine will reset about four times an hour, so I won't have to hang around the store long for them to see. Now I just need to find the time to go in. Mine only crashes when sitting idle, so I've been able to muddle through since it works when I'm actively using it.
    If they don't give me a replacement, I might go through the roof. I put a sticky on my Treo with the error message, since the person behind the desk was utterly clueless ("If you can still make calls, what's the problem?"). We'll know in two more hours.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
    Just got back. They told me that the latest firmware update will solve all my problems. I guess I should have known they were going to say that. Is there anyone who has upgraded the firmware that is still having this problem?
    Just got back. They told me that the latest firmware update will solve all my problems. I guess I should have known they were going to say that. Is there anyone who has upgraded the firmware that is still having this problem?
    Happened to me this morning. Same message and line# as yours. First time I've seen this error. I have been running the latest firmware since the day it was available.

I guess the answer is NO. The update does not solve this issue. I have a rather complex setup with many 3rd pty apps so an occasional error like this is not unexpected for me.

Here is a breif list:

DateBk5
    Zlauncher 5.30
    Chatter (Latest beta)
    Fonts4OS5
    KeyCaps
    TakePHone
    2Day
    ProfileCare (Latest beta)
    VolumeCare (Latest beta)...

...many more but those are the ones that I suspect to have an effect as they all change the default 650 behaviors in some way.

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros
    Happened to me this morning. Same message and line# as yours. First time I've seen this error. I have been running the latest firmware since the day it was available.

I guess the answer is NO. The update does not solve this issue. I have a rather complex setup with many 3rd pty apps so an occasional error like this is not unexpected for me.

Here is a breif list:

DateBk5
    Zlauncher 5.30
    Chatter (Latest beta)
    Fonts4OS5
    KeyCaps
    TakePHone
    2Day

...many more but those are the ones that I suspect to have an effect as they all change the default 650 behaviors in some way.

-X
    I too am running the latest firmware. My setup is fairly complex as well. Hopefully tonight I can try a hard reset and see how I running with the default apps. I'll post an update tomorrow, assuming I get to it this evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xathros

Here is a breif list:

DateBk5
    Zlauncher 5.30
    Chatter (Latest beta)
    Fonts4OS5
    KeyCaps
    TakePHone
    2Day

-X
    I have Chatter and FontsOS5 from that list. Now that I think about it, all these error messages started after I tried the recommendation to uncheck some options in FontsOS5 from the PalmInternals thread.

Maybe a fresh install of Fonts will help...
    I think a list of common apps would help. Is there anyone experiencing this that is not running either FontsOS5 and/or Chatter?
    So I finally started from scratch last night. The only apps I installed were DateBk5 and I had no resets. Early this morning I installed pTunes, AcidImage, and Butler - still no problems. I then installed the latest Chatter Beta and got the MemoryMgr.c Line 2659 Chunk over-locked error within 10-minutes. Removed Chatter and it's back to being trouble-free again. When I get home this evening I'll try installing the current non-beta Chatter version and see what happens.

I sent a log to Marc this past weekend and he didn't see anything Chatter-related that would be causing the error. I'm starting to wonder if there is a hardware problem that is only exposed when running Chatter. I've been using Chatter for a while, so why the problem started all of a sudden is a mystery to me. The point is, if Chatter is the only thing that highlights the problem, I can see why people are having problems getting their 650's replaced. This is really annyoing.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast