Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I think I am about to make the jump back to Palm. I know Treo does not handle email is quickly as blackberry. My question is how long does it take to retrieve your email?

Also, what can I realistically expect from battery life (know it depends on how much its used- just looking for average)

Last question- The ONE thing I always like about Blackberry was its durability. Can anyone comment on the Treo's ability to "take a lickin and keep on tickin"

Thanks
    Email capability is strictly a software issue. If you use Goodlink software/service, many on this board believe that it is as good as BB.

Battery life is tough....2-3 days with medium email usage.

Durability - BB has the upper hand in this area.
    Chatteremail is as good as it gets for email on the Treo. Email gets pushed to your phone pretty darn quick.

As for durability someone should direct you to the post where the guy fell down the stairs with his 650.
    Last edited by freit5; 03/24/2005 at 05:37 PM.
    If you can use Chatter (IMAP/POP), it's faster than BB. I tested both for several days -- carried my T650 with Chatter and my brand new BB -- same email account, and Chatter got the email quicker 90% of the time.

BTW, if you use 3rd party apps (and you will), Treo blows any BB out of the water.

It's just a much, much better device overall. One day BB will roll out roll out Palm OS phones, but until then it is for non-technically advanced people who have no idea what the better Palm phones can do.
    I've had several Palm devices, they've all been very durable for stuff like simple drops, knocks, bumps etc (but be careful of your screen)... having said that, in looking at BB's, they seem like they weigh less, and therefore should handle impact a little better.... but this is why you buy insurance. I pay $5 a month for Sprint Insurance, and have used it three times in the last 5 years. I always get a replacement that they say is refurbished, but looks brand new to me.... my problems were two cracked screens (that didn't have as much protection as the 600/650), and water damage (don't wash you Treo in the Washing Machine - I've never seen something so dead be so clean).

I also use Chatter, and it is REDICULOUSLY FAST!... I have several friends who have BB's, and Chatter is easily as fast if not faster.

I can go all day on one full charge with Chatter pushing my email all day. However, It's always good to carry a spare battery with you (or car charger, etc) just in case you're using Bluetooth, or lots of Web Browsing, especially with PTunes in the background playing MP3's.. my experience is that my time can get halved with REALLY HEAVY MULTIPLE USES.

The 650 is a very substantial but elegant device with many POWERFUL functions that will allow you to get rid of MANY other electronic gadgets (PDA's/Phone/Camera/IPOD). You will feel much freedom with it.

Good Luck!
    i just registered chattermail last week... my experience was to use chatter as my client, i opened a fastmail.fm account and forward all my email from all my accounts to there... often times i find that i get notification on chattermail faster than my outlook... i also bcc all my email to a separate pop account and filter that into my sent mail in outlook... this way is as seamless an email experience as if i was at my desk...
    You can also set up a separate folder for sent mail in Chatter, and create a rule in Outlook to copy all sent emails from outlook into the IMAP sent folder. I then only have 1 Inbox and 1 Sent Folder in Outlook and 1 Inbox and 1 Sent Folder in Chatter, and they are exactly the same all the time... no syncs necessary, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhas
    I've had several Palm devices, they've all been very durable for stuff like simple drops, knocks, bumps etc (but be careful of your screen)... having said that, in looking at BB's, they seem like they weigh less, and therefore should handle impact a little better.... but this is why you buy insurance. I pay $5 a month for Sprint Insurance, and have used it three times in the last 5 years. I always get a replacement that they say is refurbished, but looks brand new to me.... my problems were two cracked screens (that didn't have as much protection as the 600/650), and water damage (don't wash you Treo in the Washing Machine - I've never seen something so dead be so clean).
    Good Luck!
    I can't speak for my 650 yet, but the 600 was the most durable phone I've ever seen. I dropped that thing a dozen times -- concrete, stairs, etc. Yeah I went through about 4 600's but that was because the phone was generally unstable and I demanded a swap every time it acted wacky and unreliable.

As far as the washing machine -- I actually dropped my 600 in a jacuzzi once and it went dead. I called Sprint, made up a story, they sent a refurb. A few days later, my old, now-dry T600 was good as new! Couldn't believe it. I never thought that phone would work again.