Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Got this email from TomTom support:

The new Navigator 5 application will be available for download free of charge from TomTom.com at the beginning of May. Please keep in touch with our website for details on the product release.

Regards,

USA Customer Support
    Awesome!!!!

Any idea if this includes any updated maps of the US?

Cip
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    Great news!!! Did you ask them about it, or is this a group mailing?
  4.    #4  
    I asked them specifically.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    I asked them specifically.
    I asked specifically also. This is the reply I received today:

"Terms, pricing and conditions are yet to be determined for Navigator 5. Generally if one has purchased the software and activated it within the 60 day time frame of the new software being released, the update is free or there is a discounted price associated with it."

Kind Regards,

TomTom USA Customer Service"

When I asked about map updates the reply was:

"We are hoping to release a map update approximately May 15th"

Won't be free for alot of us, if they use the 60 day prior purchase requirement.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwbaker
    Won't be free for alot of us, if they use the 60 day prior purchase requirement.
    I'm pretty sure it will be free. The 5.0 download is available for free for people with the TomTom Go unit, so I'm sure it'll be the same for us
    My previous post aside, I'd think they'd like to get as many people as possible on the 5.0 platform, as it enables pay subscription features, which means more revenue for them.
    It's my understanding (and this is from pulling together info on a few threads from TomTom) that the *application* update will be free for download. The *map* update will only be free for those who bought in the last 60 days, with a moderate ($60?) upgrade fee for those outside the 60-day window.
    Quote Originally Posted by tubby_bartles
    It's my understanding (and this is from pulling together info on a few threads from TomTom) that the *application* update will be free for download. The *map* update will only be free for those who bought in the last 60 days, with a moderate ($60?) upgrade fee for those outside the 60-day window.
    Sorry - but I don't believe it. I'll eat my hat if it's not a free upgrade (software and maps)
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    will they address recieving calls while driving with map in progress.
    will they address the ability to take these calls on a bluetooth headset while staying connected to the bluetooth gps.

those are my issues with tom tom
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili
    will they address recieving calls while driving with map in progress.
    will they address the ability to take these calls on a bluetooth headset while staying connected to the bluetooth gps.

those are my issues with tom tom
    This link has some information on that
    http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/NAVIGATOR5.pdf
    This is what I found on TomTom's European website:

Who's eligible to upgrade to TomTom MOBILE 5?
    All owners of TomTom MOBILE with a valid product code (this is printed on the credit-card-sized product code card which came with your TomTom MOBILE navigation product)
    What will I get when I upgrade to TomTom MOBILE 5?
    You'll get a pack including MOBILE 5 software and an updated regional map preinstalled on a memory card. This regional map corresponds to the map region from your initial purchase

What will it cost!
    It costs 79(excluding shipping costs) for a complete upgrade of software including your regional map

How can I upgrade?
    On the next page you can enter your product code (the 15-letter code on the credit card). This code will give you the right to order the upgrade in our online web shop. You do NOT need to send us your old memory card as this does not give you the right to order the upgrade

Can I change my memory card type?
    It will be possible to choose the memory card type RS-MMC, MMC or mini SD. When purchasing your upgrade you will be asked to select from a range of compatible and supported devices and we will automatically select the appropriate memory card for your phone

Is my smartphone supported for the upgrade to MOBILE 5?
    The following smartphones are supported for the upgrade to MOBILE 5:

Motorola MPx 220
    Nokia 6260 6600 6670 7610 7710
    Orange SPV-C500 SPV-E200
    Qtek 8060 8080

(hmmmm... Hope that the Treo is included for the US....)

http://www.tomtom.com/shop/upgrade.php?action=mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by pkjv
    This is what I found on TomTom's European website:

The following smartphones are supported for the upgrade to MOBILE 5:

Motorola MPx 220
    Nokia 6260 6600 6670 7610 7710
    Orange SPV-C500 SPV-E200
    Qtek 8060 8080

(hmmmm... Hope that the Treo is included for the US....)
    TomTom "Navigator" and "Mobile" (to which the upgrade in the referenced post refers) are different products. I don't think Mobile is a product for the US market, while Navigator is available in both markets. In any event, it does not appear that TomTom Mobile was ever available to Palm platformed smartphones such that an upgrade would even be possible. As such, the lack of a reference to Treo 650 with respect to upgrades of TomTom Mobile would be meaningless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    TomTom "Navigator" and "Mobile" (to which the upgrade in the referenced post refers) are different products. I don't think Mobile is a product for the US market, while Navigator is available in both markets. In any event, it does not appear that TomTom Mobile was ever available to Palm platformed smartphones such that an upgrade would even be possible. As such, the lack of a reference to Treo 650 with respect to upgrades of TomTom Mobile would be meaningless.
    Katway, guess you are right... I did not read the details and got triggered by the fact that it said tomtom 5 update
    TomTom has released the patch for the Navigator 2004 software for use with Treo650. The patch allows to return to the same map after the navigation session is interrupted by a phone call (Treo650 does not support 2 functions at once).

In addition, here is some information about Treo650 and TomTom compatibility: Treo650 with TomTom does not allow you to use Bluetooth GPS connection if telephone Bluetooth connection is active, which makes using Treo with Navigator 2004 and CK3300 impossible. However, on May 19th, TomTom is releasing Navigator 2005 that will take care of this problem. Customers, who purchased Navigator 2004 after March 15th, 2005 will be eligible for a free upgrade, customers who bought the software before march 15th, will be able to upgrade for free, but the new maps will cost them $50. Old maps will be backward compatible and useable with Navigator 2005.
    I ordered mine from Buy.com on the 13th.

God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCSmobiletech
    TomTom has released the patch for the Navigator 2004 software for use with Treo650. The patch allows to return to the same map after the navigation session is interrupted by a phone call (Treo650 does not support 2 functions at once).

In addition, here is some information about Treo650 and TomTom compatibility: Treo650 with TomTom does not allow you to use Bluetooth GPS connection if telephone Bluetooth connection is active, which makes using Treo with Navigator 2004 and CK3300 impossible. However, on May 19th, TomTom is releasing Navigator 2005 that will take care of this problem. Customers, who purchased Navigator 2004 after March 15th, 2005 will be eligible for a free upgrade, customers who bought the software before march 15th, will be able to upgrade for free, but the new maps will cost them $50. Old maps will be backward compatible and useable with Navigator 2005.
    I'm not sure I understand the first point -- on my 650 when I am running Tom Tom if I answer a call when I hang up if I start Tom Tom again it goes right back to the map and route that was opened before the call. Am I missing something?
    I am not sure if this patch will solve the compatibility issue with Goodlink. if you use Goodlink for email, Tomtom will not work well. it resets the Treo. Anyone has the same problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighTreo
    I'm not sure I understand the first point -- on my 650 when I am running Tom Tom if I answer a call when I hang up if I start Tom Tom again it goes right back to the map and route that was opened before the call. Am I missing something?
    You wired or BT ?

The TomTom site says specifically that if you are using a 650, if you take a phone call, you have to restart TomTom and replan the route.

http://www.tomtom.com/support/rightnow.php?Language=4&Page=http%3A//62.250.17.58/cgi-bin/us.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php%3Fp_faqid%3D2406

* TomTom Navigator on the Treo 650: The Phone feature of the Treo 650 must be switchced off while using TomTom Navigator. If a call is taken or made while TomTom Navigator is in use you will have to restart it and replan the route.

Are you saying this isn't true ?
    Quote Originally Posted by shady
    This link has some information on that
    http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/NAVIGATOR5.pdf
    It says "Improved Call handling" but that's about it....not sure what that means
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast