1.    #1  
    16 month old Treo 600. My Seidio 2 in 1 headset died 6 weeks ago - Seidio says they are sending a replacement. In the meantime I dug out my old adapter from Palm and started using it with regular (2 rings on plug) headphones.

All is good for 5 weeks.

And yesterday, all of a sudden, I'm getting a lot of failure. It will just stop recognizing the adapter. I can hear the sound out of the phone's speakers but not out of the earphone. Jiggling helps only a bit but that may be my imagination or coincidence. It seems to work when it wants to and not when it wants to. It can work fine for 4 minutes and then I can't get it to work again. Then it starts up again and will go on and off for 30 seconds. I have a radio shack adapter that worked last time I used it. I pulled it out and it now does not work at all.

I'm thinking the hole that you plug the adapter into is having a problem as wild as that sounds. I'm not a big audio person - I listen to books on my Treo while comuting. Does this seem right? That the hole would develop a problem? It's a Sprint phone and I have insurance and I can get a replacement but it's such a hassle.

Are there any other good choices?
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
    http://susandennis.com
    Oh how we are slaves to the hole... They should put two on audio devices now. Cuz when it goes,... you're done.
  3.    #3  
    Really? Seriously? The hole is the problem? Or have I lost my sense of humor fiddling with this damn thing...
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
    I'm pretty sure it's the hole. Try searching for something called DEOXIT. Supposedly it's some kind of conductive spray stuff you can spray in there that might fill the gaps...

Or you can do a hard reset.
  5.    #5  
    Hard reset didn't do anything. I'm not interested in spraying stuff in. I have the insurance. Guess I'll stop by the Sprint store today. Ugh. I really hate having to deal with those people.
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
    Suan, Please use the correct nomenclature. Let's call it the "earphone jack" and not the "hole".

I would suggest going to www.toysoft.ca, download a trial version of Freedom and see if that fixes your problem. It works somewhat (temporarily) on the 650 and I'm curious if it will work on your 600.

Quote Originally Posted by susandennis
    16 month old Treo 600. My Seidio 2 in 1 headset died 6 weeks ago - Seidio says they are sending a replacement. In the meantime I dug out my old adapter from Palm and started using it with regular (2 rings on plug) headphones.

All is good for 5 weeks.

And yesterday, all of a sudden, I'm getting a lot of failure. It will just stop recognizing the adapter. I can hear the sound out of the phone's speakers but not out of the earphone. Jiggling helps only a bit but that may be my imagination or coincidence. It seems to work when it wants to and not when it wants to. It can work fine for 4 minutes and then I can't get it to work again. Then it starts up again and will go on and off for 30 seconds. I have a radio shack adapter that worked last time I used it. I pulled it out and it now does not work at all.

I'm thinking the hole that you plug the adapter into is having a problem as wild as that sounds. I'm not a big audio person - I listen to books on my Treo while comuting. Does this seem right? That the hole would develop a problem? It's a Sprint phone and I have insurance and I can get a replacement but it's such a hassle.

Are there any other good choices?
  7.    #7  
    Well, actually, I honestly do not believe the jack is the problem. (Since I get different results with two different jacks.) I think it is the place where the jack goes. Would jack recepticle be better?

Meanwhile I did follow your directions and downloaded Freedom and while it does not fix the problem totally, it does make it less worse. The sound no longer defaults to the speaker when it quits coming out the headphones - it just doesn't go anywhere. BUT it does quit less often. I can jiggle the jack itself and make the problem come back and the sound pop, but mostly it's working.

I think I'm going to give this a few days and see if I can avoid the Sprint store. Thanks!
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
    Jack recepticle is ok but is sorta redundant. A "jack" in audio elec. by definition is a "hole" or "recepticle", a "plug" is a shaft. A "plug" plugs into a "jack". Whew, did I just write all that?

Anyway, from reading your earlier posting your were using the adapter after your Seido headset failed. Was it a straight or right angle adapter? I would never use either one because of the torque it could exert on the "jack", which acts with a prying action and ruin the jack in due time.

I think you have no choice but to return it and get a new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by susandennis
    Well, actually, I honestly do not believe the jack is the problem. (Since I get different results with two different jacks.) I think it is the place where the jack goes. Would jack recepticle be better?

Meanwhile I did follow your directions and downloaded Freedom and while it does not fix the problem totally, it does make it less worse. The sound no longer defaults to the speaker when it quits coming out the headphones - it just doesn't go anywhere. BUT it does quit less often. I can jiggle the jack itself and make the problem come back and the sound pop, but mostly it's working.

I think I'm going to give this a few days and see if I can avoid the Sprint store. Thanks!
  9.    #9  
    Well, see... Now you have taught me a whole new thing. I always thought the jack was what went in. Thanks for being so patient!

And for explaining what I am now sure is the problem - the torque you mentioned. (And yep, since the Siedio went out, I have been using the big right angle adapter.) Since the Siedio jack is so much smaller, it isn't big enough to wrestle the jack out of whack.

I light of this, I think I'll also wait until my Siedio replacement comes in before I go get a replacement phone. I can hobble along now that I have Freedom making it work better.

You have certainly turned my day around. Thanks!!!
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA