Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    I'm not a big surfer on a small screen, but my wife and I were at the Magic Kingdom yesterday with another couple and they needed some critical info out of their email account (flight confirmation number). I attempted to log on and found it extremely slow and frustrating, having to reboot many times due to what appeared to be the browser hanging. Anyway, I finally got the info they needed but took along time (the wow factor seemed to go away due to all the waiting). I am sure there is alot of interference with all that is going on there but the phone did work fine for making calls.

Anyway, just thought I would share and to see if anyone else had a similar experience.

rob
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    What site were you using to access flight info? The newer versions of Verichat have this feauture, you just IM the flight number and carrier and it sends you back details! It is quite quick.

Blazer browser is not intended to go to full web sites, rather the pda versions of those sites. For example, Yahoo has an excellent pda site, http://pg1.yahoo.com
    That's good to know, I am heading there at the end of April. 23rd trip to the WDW, 1st with my Treo (I'm so excited for my baby to see DisneyWorld...oh, and my kids too )
    Could it be because of all the interference from the various transmissions used by the communication/operation electronics used there? I have done a few "behind the scenes tours" and their communication operation is quite sophisiticated. I don't know if that would effect data connections.
    Just a thought.
    Are you CDMA or GSM/GPRS?
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Thanks for the compliment, geeks run the world after all!
    Interesting....I was in the left coast Magic Kingdom last week and had no difficulties at all. Was able to surf pretty much anywhere I wanted at what I consider normal speeds.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    What site were you using to access flight info? The newer versions of Verichat have this feauture, you just IM the flight number and carrier and it sends you back details! It is quite quick.

Blazer browser is not intended to go to full web sites, rather the pda versions of those sites. For example, Yahoo has an excellent pda site, http://pg1.yahoo.com
    Yes, but they didnt have the flight info other than where they were coming from and where they were going. I was accessing Jetblue site and hotels.com. I found hotels.com to hang alot. I tried it after I left the park and had little to no problems. Quick access to sites was no problem, but trying to review "normal" size sites became a bear.

rob
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4
    Interesting....I was in the left coast Magic Kingdom last week and had no difficulties at all. Was able to surf pretty much anywhere I wanted at what I consider normal speeds.
    Left coast meaing west coast. Not sure about there, I was in east coast magic kingdom. I would have thought there would be no difference but maybe there is.

rob
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    That's good to know, I am heading there at the end of April. 23rd trip to the WDW, 1st with my Treo (I'm so excited for my baby to see DisneyWorld...oh, and my kids too )
    Could it be because of all the interference from the various transmissions used by the communication/operation electronics used there? I have done a few "behind the scenes tours" and their communication operation is quite sophisiticated. I don't know if that would effect data connections.
    Just a thought.
    Are you CDMA or GSM/GPRS?
    GSM/GPRS/(EDGE-supposedly)
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    Blazer browser is not intended to go to full web sites, rather the pda versions of those sites.
    Actually, that's not true. It can (and does) render "full" web sites, but can't do much with non-standard pages, ActiveX, etc.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    Left coast meaing west coast. Not sure about there, I was in east coast magic kingdom. I would have thought there would be no difference but maybe there is.

rob
    If the interference is coming from everything going on in the parks, then being in Orlando instead of Anaheim would make a huge difference. There's a lot more going on in WDW than in DisneyLand.

How was all the new stuff they opened? I heard they closed a lot of the old rides and replaced them with the new Disney movie stuff. I'll probaby be taking my 3 year old son this summer since he's big into Aladdin, Lion King, Lilo and Stitch, Finding Nemo....
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    The other couple we went with had a 2 year old. Most every ride had atleast a 30-60 min wait (even the kiddie rides). We really went there for him and he seemed more interested in the parade at night then any ride (probably too young for the place). Anyway, he had more fun at eh Animal Kingdom park than Magic Kingdom...

rob
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I live in the Orlando area and use Sprint 650, and 300 before that. I've had no problems with access at WDW, or Univeral or Seaworld.
    Quote Originally Posted by F1Turbo
    I live in the Orlando area and use Sprint 650, and 300 before that. I've had no problems with access at WDW, or Univeral or Seaworld.
    I'm glad to hear this because I am headed down there tomorrow and the last thing I need is to have communications problems (being all I'm bringing is my Treo). By the way, is it going to be raining this weekend in Orlando/Kissimmee?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    The other couple we went with had a 2 year old. Most every ride had atleast a 30-60 min wait (even the kiddie rides). We really went there for him and he seemed more interested in the parade at night then any ride (probably too young for the place). Anyway, he had more fun at eh Animal Kingdom park than Magic Kingdom...

rob
    Yeah, I was thinking that if I went for a long weekend and hit 2 parks, that either Animal Kingdom or Seaworld would be one and the Magic Kingdom would be the other. I've been to most of the parks more times than I can count...but I've never been to Animal Kingdom. How is it? Do they have a lot of "Lion King" related activities for the kids?

I'll make a mental note about the Main Street parade though.
    GSM/GPRS/(EDGE-supposedly)
    I checked with a buddy of mine that works there and they do get some people complaining that some phones have trouble using data there. They have a massive amount of internal wireless communication going on in the parks on a variety of frequencies. Because they are their own municipality, they can control many of the shorter range frequencies, as long as they don't interfere with outside communications. That combined with every other family carrying those short range walkie talkies, and you have quite a bandwidth use. Not sure if that would effect your data communication but it probably doesn't help.
    Anyway, 2 year olds aren't real geeked about WDW, sorry you found out later rather than sooner. Probably about 4 is when they begin to appreciate the stuff there. Hope your next trip is better.
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Not to hijack the thread, but Animal Kingdom is FANTASTIC!!! Get to see the Lion King show and the Safari ride...and pretty much everything else. You can skip Rafiki's Planet watch...kind of lame.
    Geek.....me????!!!!
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    Yeah, I was thinking that if I went for a long weekend and hit 2 parks, that either Animal Kingdom or Seaworld would be one and the Magic Kingdom would be the other. I've been to most of the parks more times than I can count...but I've never been to Animal Kingdom. How is it? Do they have a lot of "Lion King" related activities for the kids?

I'll make a mental note about the Main Street parade though.

Its basically all animals...petting areas, African Safari ride, I think there is a Lion King Show (we didnt get to that), etc. I found it great and Chase (the 2 year old) loved all the animals. It reminded me of Jurasic Park...with the tour Safari where you are basically driving thru this area with all the animals around you. And yes, alot of kid type stuff to do...cant go wrong.

rob
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    I checked with a buddy of mine that works there and they do get some people complaining that some phones have trouble using data there. They have a massive amount of internal wireless communication going on in the parks on a variety of frequencies. Because they are their own municipality, they can control many of the shorter range frequencies, as long as they don't interfere with outside communications. That combined with every other family carrying those short range walkie talkies, and you have quite a bandwidth use. Not sure if that would effect your data communication but it probably doesn't help.
    Anyway, 2 year olds aren't real geeked about WDW, sorry you found out later rather than sooner. Probably about 4 is when they begin to appreciate the stuff there. Hope your next trip is better.
    Well, it wasnt my kid so dont really care (plus they paid for us to go with them so it was worth it to me). The first time I went there I was almost 30.

rob
    EDGE is disappointing me. Let me tell you something though I had bought a Sony Ericsson S710 the "camera that has a phone in it"before my treo. Anyway the edge connection on that seemed to be more stable and faster. But obviously it doesn't do as much but I swear I was sending stuff much faster from the same locations...
    Just to let you know...yesterday morning and mid afternoon, Blazer was "hanging" for a few of us. I was at home (Atlanta) and Blazer would just say "Sending" for a long time. The earth thing still rotated but wouldn't go anywhere. Same for a few others I talked to. Just a few minutes at a time.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christinac130
    Just to let you know...yesterday morning and mid afternoon, Blazer was "hanging" for a few of us. I was at home (Atlanta) and Blazer would just say "Sending" for a long time. The earth thing still rotated but wouldn't go anywhere. Same for a few others I talked to. Just a few minutes at a time.
    Thats exactly what was happening to me...I couldnt figure it out. I soft reset the phone atleast a dozen times because it seemed to be locked...on some occasions, it wouldnt even allow me to switch over by hitting a hard button. At first I was cursing the patch but now think that that would have happened regardless.

rob
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast