Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Took my goddaughter to Disney FL last year with my brand new Sprint Treo 600 (recently replaced with a 650 of course). Had no reception problems that I remember. My girlfriend was stuck on a medical rotation and couldn't join us, so when I wasn't stuffing my face or enjoying the rides and scenery I was spending my time sending her snapshots and email.

It probably depends a lot on where you are in the parks though. I can't imagine what their electric bills must be.
    Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum
    Blazer browser is not intended to go to full web sites, rather the pda versions of those sites. For example, Yahoo has an excellent pda site, http://pg1.yahoo.com
    That's simply not true. Yes, PDA formatted sites are easier to read, and quicker, but I access full web sites every day with my 650, and it works great.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    I'm not a big surfer on a small screen, but my wife and I were at the Magic Kingdom yesterday with another couple and they needed some critical info out of their email account (flight confirmation number). I attempted to log on and found it extremely slow and frustrating, having to reboot many times due to what appeared to be the browser hanging.
    rob
    You really don't give us enough information. WHICH Magic Kingdom were you at? What carrier were you on?

I haven't been to disney with my 650, but at DW-Orlando last spring my Sprint treo 600 worked great, for both voice and browsing. The problems you ran into could have been the specific web site, could have been carrier network issues, could have been lots of things.

You might also want to search for a program called Flight Status. It's a slick little freebie that doesn one thing only, but does it very well.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dacloutier
    Took my goddaughter to Disney FL last year with my brand new Sprint Treo 600 (recently replaced with a 650 of course). Had no reception problems that I remember. My girlfriend was stuck on a medical rotation and couldn't join us, so when I wasn't stuffing my face or enjoying the rides and scenery I was spending my time sending her snapshots and email.

It probably depends a lot on where you are in the parks though. I can't imagine what their electric bills must be.
    I had no problem making or recieving phone calls, and had no problem sending and recieving email...but when it came to surfing full size web sites, it would crap out and not load up completely, such as hotels.com, in which I attempted to book a room online but could never get the whole page to load (it wont let you do anything until the whole page loads)...hence my problem, but it worked fine outside of the park after I moved away from it on route 4. I figured that I may have an issue but thought I would be able to brute force it which I was able to but just took a long time and alot of reboots.

rob
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    You really don't give us enough information. WHICH Magic Kingdom were you at? What carrier were you on?

I haven't been to disney with my 650, but at DW-Orlando last spring my Sprint treo 600 worked great, for both voice and browsing. The problems you ran into could have been the specific web site, could have been carrier network issues, could have been lots of things.

You might also want to search for a program called Flight Status. It's a slick little freebie that doesn one thing only, but does it very well.
    Actually, I did give you all the info needed, at the beginning of this thread as I said Magic Kingdom on the East Coast (Florida) and I did say GSM but dont think I said Cingular so now you have it. Florida Walt Disney World Magic Kindom, on Cingular network, using a GSM phone.

What I needed was to check my friends email thru earthlink to get the confirmation number so they could change their flight to a later one and then try to log onto hotels.com to book them a room. This was my issue...

rob
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    We got back in late January and the only comment I have on the Treo at WDW is that voice quality was simply awful - I had to use my wife's phone to be able to make any calls and be understood. The Treo picked up so much background noise people couldn' t hear / understand me.

Not sure if the new ROM will help with that or not. A very good headset could also have helped. However, my ability to answer the phone and conduct 2 minutes worth of conversation was severely impacted by the Treo ...
    For those interested in WDW info, http://allearsnet.com/ is in my opinion the best website around for Disney info and trip planning tips.

It's "unofficial" and fan run, but fantastically thorough. I read that site top to bottom before planning my first trip to WDW and I got maximum enjoyment out of the experience, and I owe most of that to the website.

Much like ths site has allowed me maximum enjoyment from my 650!

ObOnTopic: Back when I was at WDW, I had really really bad reception (2 bars or less almost all of the time) on my Motorola v60i GSM phone while on the theme park grounds but okay-to-good reception at the hotels.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
    Probably not considering 95% of the communication at WDW is Nextel. They have pretty much done away with there old radio communicaion system. By the way Nextel actually has a couple towers on site in the park because of Disneys heavy useage. Have heard reports of excellent signal from nextel users.

More likely is heavy usage and tower location, for example looking at one of Sprints tower maps it looks like there is a couple towers nearby and one being added probably due to issues noted here.

In addition CIngulars coverage has been in the past reported as spotty in and around the Orlando area. Do a search on howardforums.com

rj

Quote Originally Posted by trainman
    That's good to know, I am heading there at the end of April. 23rd trip to the WDW, 1st with my Treo (I'm so excited for my baby to see DisneyWorld...oh, and my kids too )
    Could it be because of all the interference from the various transmissions used by the communication/operation electronics used there? I have done a few "behind the scenes tours" and their communication operation is quite sophisiticated. I don't know if that would effect data connections.
    Just a thought.
    Are you CDMA or GSM/GPRS?
    Last edited by rjflyn; 03/24/2005 at 01:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    The other couple we went with had a 2 year old. Most every ride had atleast a 30-60 min wait (even the kiddie rides). We really went there for him and he seemed more interested in the parade at night then any ride (probably too young for the place). Anyway, he had more fun at eh Animal Kingdom park than Magic Kingdom...

rob
    I am afraid you hit WDW at its busiest, looks like we are over the post 9/11 dip. Bad for you, good for our economy
    Between Thanksgiving and Christmas is the best time to go. We never waited more than 5 minutes (if even that) for any ride.
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12