Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I LOVE IT! A+

Alhough the 1st unit died after about an hour of use, my cross shipped replacement has worked flawlessly for two days now.

Here is what I experianced:

What you will need:

1) Some installation experiance with car audio.

2) ISO adaptors if your radio does not have them. search the parrot and this forum for places to buy the ISO adaptors for your car radio.

3) I cut my ISO cables and hardwired mine in place. Audio for the parrot is passed to the front speakers only. The pinouts for the ISO connecter is given in the manual. Basically when a call comes in, Your audio is Muted (if your radio supports the mute function, mine did.) and the speaker outputs from your radio are disconnected. The Parrot also supports disconnection of line level (RCA). I only used line level for my subwoofer - Muting my radio was sufficient enough so I did not use the pass through disconnect for the subwoofer, I did for the front and rear speakers.

4) Pair the Parrot with your TREO 650. Do not use the Parrot Pairing. You can pair as a trusted device or a hands free unit (Both units had the most recent software loaded, Treo V1.08 and Parrot 4.01b). If you do not see the Parrot, then something is wrong. Make sure your BT is on and the Parrot module is not mounted surrounded by metal.

5) At this point you are ready to download your contacts. This is Important, MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT connected to the Parrot (Settings->Paired Devices->Select your Treo->Scroll to DISCONNECT). Goto your Treo Contacts, select ALL Contacts, Press your Menu button and select RECORD->Send Category->Bluetooth->Check mark the Parrot and OK. Depending on how many Contacts you have it can take from a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes.

6) The Parrot DOES NOT auto sync Contacts, only call logs.

I will continue this later - I haven't played with the voice options yet.

My current setup:

Treo 650, Parrot CK3100, Cardo Headset, Seido In car charging cradle with wired GPS, TomTom Navigator 2004 with with BT GPS (Used when I travel).
    Can you play MP3s from your Treo on your car stereo?
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    I have not tried to play MP3's through the parrot. I do not think it is possible. My head unit - (Pioneer) uses what is called IPBUS and I purchased the external IP Bus RCA Input adaptor. Using this device I route my DVD audio or Treo Audio to my car stereo.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Well I started messing with the Voice Commands.... Excellent is all I can say. I love this Parrot.

All you do is scroll to the Voice Commands options, select phone book and follow the directions as given.

Really easy!

Vince
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    The ISO harnesses for BMWs and MINIs can be purchased from www.siocommunications.co.uk. They have prompt service and the Autoleads product they sell is nicely made.
    Newb here.

I just had the CK3100 installed as well and this thing rocks! I first used it with my LG PM-325 and it connects flawlessly, just can't use the Parrot address book and I have to use the phone's voicedialing feature (no problem though).

With the Treo 650, everything works as advertised. I just synced the important phone numbers rather than the entire contact list. Using the Parrot's voice dial features with the Treo. I just can't seem to get the voice activation right for "phone" command (to get it to answer the call), contact voices and "hang up" work great.

Couple of questions for you:

1. Is your sound really loud? Mine is set all the way to lowest levels and it's really loud (you can hear this thing almost across the street witht he engine off). I think it's wired through the car's amp. Is there something I can do?

2. It's a little slow at initial connection to the Treo. Does your's connect right away?

3. Have you gotten your's to answer the call with voice activation, or are you pushing the button on the Parrot unit?

Love this thing! TIA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loungelizard
    Newb here.

I just had the CK3100 installed as well and this thing rocks! I first used it with my LG PM-325 and it connects flawlessly, just can't use the Parrot address book and I have to use the phone's voicedialing feature (no problem though).

With the Treo 650, everything works as advertised. I just synced the important phone numbers rather than the entire contact list. Using the Parrot's voice dial features with the Treo. I just can't seem to get the voice activation right for "phone" command (to get it to answer the call), contact voices and "hang up" work great.

1. Is your sound really loud? Mine is set all the way to lowest levels and it's really loud (you can hear this thing almost across the street witht he engine off). I think it's wired through the car's amp. Is there something I can do?

2. It's a little slow at initial connection to the Treo. Does your's connect right away?

3. Have you gotten your's to answer the call with voice activation, or are you pushing the button on the Parrot unit?

Love this thing! TIA!
    You can install some resistors in line off the audio out of the parrot kit. Just find the right value for your application. I often purchase several different values of resistors and connect them on the positive leads to find one just right.

One other option, and probably the easiest. Peripheral offers a 4 channel inline converter (SVEN4) you can find here. This device gives you a stand alone line level converter with audio adjustment on all four channels.

http://peripheralelectronics.com/ima.../web/sven4.jpg
    mobiletech,

Thanks, I'll give the sven a try. Went to the link and and it looks like that should do the trick.
    Hi, i've got mine up and running but I'm experiencing a long time to connect as well. Is this normal? I'm talking like 5-10minutes in the car before it connects. Any way to speed this up?
    Peter,

Same here. My LG PM-325 connects immediately when in the car. With the Treo, my wife has to "force it" to connect by dialing voicemail and then hanging up. Once connected it's fine. We also tried talking on the Treo before she got in the car, started the car, and the Parrot picked up our conversation about 40 seconds after it turned on.

For now, she just makes a quick voicemail call then hangs up once the Parrot makes a connection. Seems unnecessary but not sure what else to do. Both Treo and Parrot have the latest updates.
    well, hopefully someone's who loves it can shed some light on this. Any tips anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGibbons
    well, hopefully someone's who loves it can shed some light on this. Any tips anyone?
    I've been working with cellular handsfree devices for about 15 years. My company sells and installs most aftermarket 12volt electronics focused around mobile communications. I have always been excited above bluetooth technology but it's not as standard of a platform that we would like to see. This has caused everyone to question "who's at fault" when two devices don't pair or communicate as advertised.

I'm posting this information not only because I have great faith in the Parrot product, but also having good results with my 650.

I'm not sure how much this matters, but I'm listing it anyway.
    * Puchased Treo 650 from Cingular (locked) on 3/16/05

I already had the CK3100 installed and was using it with my SonyEricsson T616 at the time with no problems. Paired the Treo using the handsfree setup option with no problems. Both devices functioned properly but sometimes took longer than normal to connect or showed disconnected on the Parrot display. Most often, if I started a call or received a call, the Parrot kit would connect (like a bluetooth headset functions).

* Updated Parrot software to 4.10b on 3/23/05
    Paired the two devices. The audio quality is better, but the 650 has more trouble staying connected than before. Sometimes it won't connect at all.
    * Updated Treo 650 with handsfree software from Palm 3/23/05
    NOW it's all good. Everythings working as it should!

Here's how my Treo 650 functions with the 3100. Connection time after ignition is turned on is about 5-10 seconds (shows my phones name on the screen along with Cingular and my signal strength once connected). If your on a call, it seems to be closer to 10-15 seconds before the handsfree picks up. Of course the Parrot is having to boot up and these times may vary. Also the distance from the phone to the control unit can effect the connection time slightly.
    The phonebook does not sync but can be transfered to the Parrot. You have to disconnect the kit and phone through the Parrot menu / paired devices. Then under contacts select Send Category, Bluetooth, then select device to send contacts. Takes a few seconds depending on the number of contacts in your phone. You can then attach voice tags to your contacts in the Parrot kit and dial directly from the 3100.
    I've very pleased with the overall performance of the kit. I've had to play with the mic volume and audio output volume to adjust for an echo heard by the person on the other end. It's not a major issue but took some time to work out.

I'm more concerned with the problems most everyone else is having with connection issues. Where does the problem start? Here's a couple of ideas.

** How are you pairing the devices? Use the Handsfree Setup selection instead of Add Device on the Treo bluetooth menu. Also, don't use the advanced setting function on the Parrot kit to pair the phone. This was designed to help pair phones that are not supported or more difficult to pair. The Parrot kit offers both Handfree and Headset profiles. Here's some documentation from the DriveBlue.com site.

My phone disconnects all the time. What can I do ?

On certain phones, it is normal. It depends on the Bluetooth profile of the phone.

There are 2 bluetooth profiles for phones : Headset profile and HandsFree profile.

HeadSet profile is the more basic profile. Your phone and the car kit don't need to be always connected all the time.
    They only connect to each other when they need to exchange data during the calls.

HandsFree profile is the more elaborate profile. Your phone and the kit are always connected together.

On a bluetooth headset, both devices stay paired but only connect during a call. I assume this is to save on battery life for the headset. If you pair the Parrot kit using the advanced setting feature, it MAY be pairing with the phone as a headset instead of a handsfree device. For normal setup of the CK3100, just power on the kit and start the pairing process through the phone.
    This "headset profile" function from Parrot was designed to support bluetooth phones that only had the headset profile. It's really not a problem since both profiles will work. I am almost certain that most of you with the disconnect problem are some how using the headset profile on the phone. I would suggest deleting all paired devices from the Parrot kit and pairing the device using the handsfree setup wizard on the 650 (not ADD DEVICE). Do not use the advanced settings on the Parrot to pair, just reboot the device and start there.

I currently have a bluetooth headset on order (Sony 660) and it should be here by Tuesday of next week. I'll compare the connection status between the Parrot kit and the 650 along side the new headset.

PalmOne's Handsfree Support page:
    ** Sprint Treo 650 users only: on the Bluetooth Manager's main screen, press Menu and select "Allow wakeup" from the Options menu. Select "OK".

** The bluetooth icon on the Treo 650 shows your current connection status.
    - Bluetooth Icon - bluetooth is on
    - Reversed Bluetooth Icon - bluetooth is on and connected to trusted device
    - Headset replaces Bluetooth Icon - bluetooth connected to wireless headset
    Now on my kit, the icon goes reversed when connected and stays that way while in the vehicle. The headset icon shows up during a call over the bluetooth icon.

** Other setting on my 650
    - Enable device name cache / under bluetooth options. Allows for faster connection.
    - Firmware: 01.04
    - Software Treo650-1.02-CNG

I hope this helps. I'm only making my educated guess at this point since I've had so little problems on my end. I've sold one other Parrot CK3100 to a customer recently with a Treo 650 on Cingular and had no problems with connection or pairing.

Sorry if this response ran too long.
    MCS,
    Thanks again for the great info. For whatever reason, it seems to working much better now and my device name and Sprint show up on the screen as connected within 2 minutes of firing up the car. Man, this system is definitely the best i've used.

PG
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    You say you had the kit installed. It sounds like the installer wasn't familiar with Parrots and amplified stereos. The Parrot won't work correctly in a car that has an external amplifier on the stereo. This is because it is interupting the sound to the front speakers, muting the radio and then playing its sound. Since the Parrot sound is already slightly amplified, it will sound very loud, to the point of extreme distortion. I installed a Parrot in my Z3 Coupe and had to solder in 4.4kohm resistors in the positive leads to the front speakers to alleviate the distortion. (Actually I did this to the rear speakers as well, but that isn't necessary and I will be taking these resistors back out, as the Parrot kits only use the front speakers) As to what resistors to use, it depends on the wiring in your car. BMWs with the Harmon Kardon system seem to work with 4.4kohm resistors, but other cars might need something different. I bought a pack of resistors from Radio Shack for about $6 and tried 15kohm, 10kohm, 4.4kohm, 2.2kohm, 1kohm and 400ohms. The 4.4 seemed to offered the best sound quality. Having figured all this out, I like the Parrot enough that I might replace my SE HCB 30 kit in the MINI with a Parrot CK3100.

Hope all this helps!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Loungelizard
    Newb here.

Love this thing! TIA!
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Mine connects immediately. Make sure you have the latest firmware on the phone and on the parrot. Try deleteing the profile and pairing the phone again. Delete the parrot in your Treo as well.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Well problems have officially begun. Since I upgraded Treo firmware I am getting more drops call with and without the Parrot. Also I can no longer send contacts. After two tries my Treo soft resets. arrrrgh... Just when you thought it was safe!!!!
    I struggled with this problem for a long time (2 months!). Turns out that the ck3100 is allergic to speed-dial entries that have extra numbers and/or pauses entered in. If that's the case with you, try deleting all extra numbers from your speed-dials and see if that cures the soft reset problem.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    I had a CK3000 installed today in my 2003 Avalanche with a factory Bose system and the kit works but when I am in a call, I hear engine whine big time and also it comes through the speakers really loud and I have the volume on the phone turned all the way down otherwise it blasts me out of the truck. This makes me think it was wired wrong? The installer said there was nothing he could do about the whine and that I would have to check with Parrot on this. Anybody have any solutions or have run into this?

Thanks in advance
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Well I think I have my problem solved. I called Parrot and basically they told me the only thing you could do with an amplified system was to hook up a separate speaker and bypass the amp. I did not like the idea so I called my installer and talked to another person who was actually more knowledgable about the Parrot and he told me to bring it back in and he would get it working right.

And that is exactly what he did too! Basically he pulled the unit out and started from scratch and put in a wiring harness and bypassed the Bose amp. After that he moved the unit from under the dash to under my console, but we still had a problem when it muted, it would not mute the subwoofer. So he created a relay to hook up to the parrot which would also mute the subwoofer and now everything works great!

It sounds 1000% better and there is not engine whine at all and the volume is controllable through my phone now whereas before, I had to keep it all the down just so a call wouldn't blow my ears out.

So far it works great, no disconnects and I am using a VZW 650.

Now if I could only sync my contacts.....
    I just installed mine with vzw 650. a few issues.

I try to send contacts and my treo fails if i hit try again it reboots my treo

i tried to update the firmware via bt. it works until the very end then my computer blue screens!

Finally i thought you could just say "telephone" and it would be ready to dial but mine just sits there. I recorded the telephone keyword, enabled it, and it's set for the parrot to do the voice. What did I miss?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast